1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] An NBA Nightmare: The James Harden-Dwight Howard Pick-and-Roll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GBRocket, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Dedicatedrocket

I bett linsanity will shoot over 0% from downtown this year. just bring those TO down

2. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

I read this yesterday and reread again and watched the vid. I knew Harden was a top PnR player and had heard that Howard was good but never realized that Howard was the best at it. In fact Howard is devastating at it. Howard is also along with Harden among the tops at drawing fouls also along with Harden.

I have seen the future and I like it.

3. Dedicatedrocket

fo real? what happens?

4. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Lol

We win a lot and many teams go home crying. :)

5. Dedicatedrocket

jesssss

6. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Lol

I also see it raining 3 pointers but I digress. :cool:

7. Dedicatedrocket

are you the next doc rocket??

8. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

lol

No one is that good. :)

9. New

question: how many players shoot at 40% from 3s and make on average 1.5 3pt per game last season?

I think it is insane to say that Lin needs to shoot at that percentage in order to stay as a rocket... He would be lethal if he could do that...

10. minstrelallen

minstrelallen New Member

quote:
    "
    Harden ranks number two in the NBA in pick-and-roll ball handler offense (.988 PPP) with a minimum of 150 possessions.

Lin ... his pick-and-roll offense ranks in the 76th percentile in the NBA (.849 PPP)."

Yes Harden got higher score than Lin in PnR, but I don't understand how this can be proof that Harden is a better PnR player than Lin. Harden ranked higher in the PnR offense is partly because he chose to shot more by himself, whereas Lin obviously is more willing to pass the ball to his PnR partner. IMO, you have to look at the overall offensive efficiency of the PnR to decide whether a player is really good at PnR. For one thing, although both Harden and Howard are efficient scorer in PnR, combining together would mean that one of them has to score less than he used to.

So ,I think it may not be that clear that Harden is the clear-cut better choice to run PnR with DH,given his inclination to shoot first by himself. A dominant center like DH is no doubt a better scoring option in a PnR than Harden is. Actually I think Lin will be a better PnR fit for Howard, considering he has done really well with Tyson Chandler back in Nicks days.

11. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Lol

If Lin could do anything at an elite level it would make having to suffer through his Lin fan boys bearable.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I am optimistic about this, but why didn't Howard utilize it much with Nash?
    I assume it was due to his recovering injury and Nash being injured too.

13. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

Per Morey, he's the 5th most efficient PnR Ballhandler in the league, you don't call that being elite at something?

14. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

i think dwight wants to run pnr with beverly...:)

15. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

No

Except he isn't close to that. Nice try but a big fail. Lin is an inefficient scorer also.

16. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Lin is a better at facilitating the pick and roll then Harden, in terms of actually getting the ball into the big man's hands. Harden is naturally a much more refined and better finisher as he should be since he's like a mini tank rolling to the basket(that eurosteps!). But stats don't lie, Lin lead the team in assists while having the ball less then Harden. That should in itself point out that Lin is a better pick and roll facilitator then Harden. Also both Harden and Lin were held back by the great brick hands of Asik. Seriously how many easy dunks and lay ups were blown by him? Both Lin and Harden should have been in the 7-9 assists per game range easy if they actually have a front court that can finish.

17. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Cant believe I gone tru all 11 pages of Lin VS Harden debate. But no one ask about who is the top 4 PnR ball handler last year? We only knows that Harden is 5th and CP3 is 6th.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cant wait for preseason, nice job Clutch.

DD

19. OmerAsik3

OmerAsik3 Member

Dwyane Wade is the best sg period. Just look at his PER

20. youngduck

youngduck Member

finish at the rim? 63.7% for jeremy lin. shoot from the 3? he shot better than goran dragic last season and plus lin wasn't 100% in the beginning of the season. after the all star break wat did we see? lin's 3pt% .375 post all star break.

a PG cant play PG if ya man harden has takin that duty.

if u payed attention to last season you would understand. "yadda yadda lin can't shoot, lin ain't no spot up shooter, we need eric bledsoe (lmfao he cant shoot), we need a pg who can play w/o the ball."

thats y ive been sayin lin should be backup PG.