1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks says he's back with the Rockets!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Karolik

Karolik Member

Truth is we don't know how good Lin is at feeding the post, and won't know until this season. Neither Tyson Chandler nor Omer Asik could post up.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's true, much as I liked him.

This signing confuses. (I'm not "hatin" or even criticizing, but i just don't understand it.) Point guards, we got 'em. Instant offense guard off the bench? We signed him already. So...

i guess that's why people are thinking something will shake out soon.

3. choujie

choujie Member

Howard is not good at posting up either. But we know Lin had a good time connecting with Tyson Chandler for all those dunks, and Howard does that better Chandler.

AB has huge flaws in his game to be a starting PG for a Championship team, but at minimum salary as a backup, he's worth it.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

lmao classic answer

5. Manos

Manos Member

I can't imagine Beverly is being shipped since his contract is only 788k with team options for the two seasons after this one. If anyone is gone I bet it's Lin, but I bet they wait to see how Lin plays with the new additions before they move him. I'm more interested to see if we sign Camby to the vets min. If so, I think Asik will be on his way sooner rather than later.

6. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

With the love him or hate him thread being closed, feel free to bring the Lin fight over here. :)

7. iLookOK

iLookOK Member

why don't we sign bonzi wells

8. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

[​IMG]

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Brooks of 3 yrs ago is the perfect fit, let's hope he can get that back he showed glimpses in the playoffs

10. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

great move!

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The deal makes sense to me:

For the team, it is an essentially cost-free/risk-free move for a player that at least has some ability to play a useful role in the NBA. Teams have an unlimited # of minimum salary exceptions to hand out and the Rockets are well under the tax line but above the cap. So, signing AB doesn't prevent them from making any other reasonably conceivable move that they would otherwise make.

So who cares if he is third on the depth chart? He is just taking a spot that otherwise would have gone to the likes of Courtney Fortson or Jordan Henriquez-- and he's at least more likely to contribute than these guys. In fact, if you really find a better player willing to take the minimum and absolutely need AB's roster spot, you can just cut AB and pay his salary with little impact on cap flexibility.

For AB, this may well be his best offer. He said his other offers are for the minimum. The other teams may also not guarantee him any playing time. The Knicks, for example, are said to have interest in him at the minimum and would have him penciled in behind Felton and Prigioni. He at least knows the city of Houston and members of the team.

#771 Carl Herrera, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  12. Exel

Exel Member

I have to disagree, Bev is more tradeable because PF those reasons. He's providing great value for his contract and his stock his extremely high right now. If you're team looking to make a run at next years draft/free agent class, he's the type of player you want included a trade, a great back up pg that won't mess up your cap flexibility.

13. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

welcome back AB

looking forward to the red bowtie again

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

AB said he was humbled by all the applause he got when he came back. I think he really likes the city of Houston.

15. bongman

bongman Member

I agree that Bev has great value. Why would a team trade it's luxury of having a serviceable player that is getting payed at a bargain price? This is the same reason why we can't trade Parsons. In order to replace their production and impact on the team, you will have to shell out a whole lot more money.

16. jocar

jocar Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Exel

Exel Member

Because other teams value that as well. If you want to entice another team into trading a player you want, these are the types of assets you have to include in the trade.

18. Big Red Machine

Well, obviously something has to give due to the numbers. But that doesn't mean it's anything imminent. Like I said, the Rockets did this last offseason. They're just collecting options.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

and the common element in all this: Yao...because Yao was terrible at catching the ball, adjusting to it in flight, and using leverage, due to his size and lack of speed/agility/reaction.

20. newAge_Rockets

Vet minimum for a very good third pg that already knows the system. HORRENDOUS signing