1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game] Is League of Legends a fun game, is it worth getting in to?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Swishh

Swishh Member

The last game on PC that i played actively was Runescape...but that was about 6 years ago when I was in middle school.

Now supposedly League of Legends is the most popular online game in the world, so if that's true, then it must be a pretty good game I'd imagine.

Looked up some vids of it on YT and it looks pretty...lame?

Should I just go ahead and try it for myself? Anyone here regularly play this game?

How's the learning curve?

2. ruhroh

ruhroh Member

If you like MOBA (like Dota) games, then you'll probably like this game. From what I hear, LoL is easier than DOTA2 the other MOBA alternative (HoN is another one).

I don't think the learning curve was that bad but then again I've played strategy games like LoL before. I have a friend who plays it as well but I guess it was more difficult for him to play as he hasn't played a lot of strategy games. Watching streams helps a lot and I recommend that if you want to become really good.

You should give it a go. You can buy stuff to get champions faster and skins but, otherwise, the game is free. So you don't have much to lose besides time lol.

It gets pretty addicting and the game can get fairly competitive if you get into it. This is a drawback as well as the competitive nature of this game has created a rather bad community imo. People start acting like elitist even if they don't know what they're talking about sometimes lol. But don't let people discourage you especially since you're starting out.

I think there was a previous thread on this board where you might find other people who play this game.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=200665

Hope this helps.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's free I thought? so try it for yourself. I've never played it, I think it's very likely that there will be too many 12 year old kids raging about.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Who cares? It isn't Xbox live. Oh no! They're typing really angrily at me!

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I play almost everyday. The learning curve is pretty steep, but it usually places you against people of your own level. I come from shooters, so it's definitely not the same in that regard, but it is quite fun and addictive.

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

It's not the fact that they'll "type angrily" at you. It's the fact that they'll ragequit or purposefully "feed" the other team, and leave your team so that you're at a disadvantage.

Which, a 4v5 is winnable, but a 3v5 is not. (at least, for me.)

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

The curve is only steep if you've not experience every single champ's moveset.

When you first get into the game, play conservatively, since you'll not know what enemy champs can do (unless you've read up on many beforehand). I would suggest tutorial and playing games with AI/bots would be the way to go first, just to get a feel for what it's like.

8. sew

sew Member

Played it for like 3 months. The community is one of the worst I have ever encountered.

It is a fun game, though.

9. axaznshortyxa

axaznshortyxa Member

MOBA games always very frustrating, but very rewarding as well. This game, like DoTA and others, have an extremely high skill cap but requires lots of experience or playing time in order to improve. Let me reiterate, there are a lot of different playing styles and each champion can be played in a variety of ways-- e.g., Lee Sin, Orianna, Twisted Fate, Jayce. With skill cap comes lots of memorization and mechanics-- learning cooldowns, attack range, spell range, armor resist and magic resist deductions, when to push, when to dragon, kiting, etc. If you do end up playing, I do recommend learning basic mechanics and watching live streams or introduction videos to get started.

Let me tell you now that, like sew said, the community can be very harsh. Lots of cocky and arrogant players will bring morale down by completely downing other players. If you want to play and endure all the bs, I do recommend not playing on tilt and being optimistic, no matter what happens. If you would like some help or tips or even someone to play with, PM me. I am a Diamond 4 player and can make a smurf account to help you practice.

10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

11. axaznshortyxa

axaznshortyxa Member

The curve is at its steepest once you get into higher Silver and beyond. You start playing with players who understand the game and forces you to rethink about committing and items. The one reason why I love LoL is because the skill cap is SO high. I constantly learn something new every day and get better by playing with raging players and against great ones.

And I do disagree with playing conservatively the first couple games or against bots. Of course you'll need to learn how to last hit and your own spells, but you're going to want to see what each individual champ can do and the range and how much damage it does. You want to see first-hand what capabilities each champ has and learn when to commit. Maybe I watch to much Korean streams, because NA and Korean servers play styles are completely different, but I think aggressive is the way to go until you hit level 20ish.

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

People do that in every game. Try playing Halo online, enjoy that ish.

13. jbasket

jbasket Member

It is a good game. Free to play, and always has updates and new champs and whatnot.

If you want to play it, you kind of have to go all or nothing with that game. They do have a ranking system so you play against people of your own level in both "ranked" and "normal" matches, so the skill imbalance is generally mitigated. Until level 10, the game will be hectic with hectic players (while learning how to play). Afterwards, when people start actually jungling, the roles get more defined and it becomes even better to play.

I play it, and definitely recommend it. If you do, add me: "jbasket"

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Unfortunately this is one of those games that are free to play, but also play (lots) to win. Your player profile levels up to 30, and every level up allows you access to certain things (runes) which alter your stats permanently every match. Runes are expensive and can only be bought by points you earn by playing matches. Fortunately it's an engrossing game, and you don't think/worry about it too much as you play through 30.

And then one day in the not so distant future you'll think, "Hmm should I spend 5-10$ and buy this new character, or grind for 50 games? Eh, it's only 10$. But wait, I'll get bonus points for spending 20$ and then I'll have leftover points for when some nice skin for my favorite character comes on sale."

15. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Just don't make terroristic jokes