1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sacramento trying to trade Chuck Hayes

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 16, 2013.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Rox over cap, could not bid. Would have to hope no team bid. Teams would, no doubt (in my mind).

2. AXG

AXG Member

Don't tempt him...
    [​IMG]

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Really like Hayes, but he seems to be anterior tilting these days. Would like to see him in Minnesota as previously mentioned.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Exactly. And I am no LOF.

5. Harden13

Harden13 Member

If you were are GM we would be worse than the kings.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

I've never really cared much for Hayes. Don't get me wrong. I loved his work ethic and feel like every team need a Chuck Hayes kind of player. But his skillset is simply lacking. He can't finish inside nor can he hit the outside shot. He's a gifted passer, but not threatening to the defense enough where he can show this off. He should be a 4, but he can't space the floor unless you have a stretch 5(and how many of those exist?) If he's your center, than your interior defense sucks.

For $1-2mil, I'd love Hayes and have him as a Ryan Bowen role. For $5mil? No way.

7. Panda23

Panda23 Member

$5m is too steep. Don't people remember the Scola/Hayes layup lines...

8. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes is my favorite player in the league.

I agree, but that was almost entirely due to Scola (and our excellent perimeter defenders). I would welcome Chuck back for up to $3m. As far as shutdown individual defenders they don't get much better than him. Alas, he can't be amnestied.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

On Landry if it hasnt been mentioned, I dont think hes eligible to be traded until later in the year. Not that he woulda been packaged in a trade anyway

Thanks guys

I knew about the rules but didnt check dates and rockets cap figure.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Selling hayes a little short. Hayes has already proven he could start at center on a .500 club in the tough western conference. When has ryan bowen done anything like that

Every time hayes fell out of favor even in houston he seemed to put himself back in favor. But yes this stage in his career hes just a matchup defensive specialiast

11. chandlerbang21

dont watch much bball huh? lol jimmer is trash and hayes had been horrible since traded

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Why does everybody and their mom want a stretch post player nowadays? What happened to Oberto/Duncan, Thorpe/Olajuwon, Rodman/Longley, Shaq/Grant, Laimbeer/Rodman, Mchale/Parish, Jabbar/Green? You don't need a stretch player in the post, that's sissy play. This isn't Europe, the WNBA or Big 12 basketball.

There was a time when Chuck Hayes was the only reason I watched the Rockets play. I hated the uptempo offense and I hated the attitude (early on) but not Chuck, he competed and performed every single night while playing for potato chips. Chuck Hayes is one of the most consistent players in sports. He will be Godfather of my child should I have one and if he ran a basketball camp similar to Olajuwon's for post players of all levels he'd make millions.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

First of all, with the exception of Oberto/Duncan none of those combinations were in the past decade.

Secondly, most of the combinations, while not having a STRETCH four, had player who didn't need to be camped in the post to be effective. Olajuwon did not have to be deep in the post, Duncan certainly doesn't, Mchale, Jabbar, Grant, Shaq....all of those guys could either move with the ball outside of the post or back down into the post with the ball in their hands in the old NBA.

Dwight can't do those things. You can't clear out and give him the ball and let him shake and bake his way to the rim and he can't back a guy down into the paint very effectively. He needs the ball deep in the paint. Putting another guy who can do nothing offensively outside of the paint isn't a good fit.

BUT it doesn't need to be a stretch 4 either. A 4 who has basketball skills outside of the paint is fine, regardless of whether he goes all the way out to the 3 point line.

14. scottie brooks

Even so, I wouldn't want to have him starting on our team. Chuck is great in spurts but I wouldn't think Morey would like his contract.

15. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Bring back the Chuck!

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'd take Isiah (no relation to the real Isiah) Thomas over Jimmer for Lin.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This isn't the GARM, it's the NBA Dish, never said anything about him making sense for Houston. Aside from that, Hayes is a God. That is all.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If the Spurs had had Scola and not Oberto they'd probably have even more rings.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If he was on a vet. min contract, or you could get him at that price after a buyout then its a no-brainer. Would be a huge asset as a situational post defender, and someone who can really shut down the major post players that would cause the Rockets problems.

But on his remaining salary I would pass for what the Rocket would need to give up to get him.... which would probably mean some of their young talent like Jones/D-Mo getting involved in the deal.

As for trading Asik for Hayes..... NO WAY. The Rockets have the 7 foot version of Hayes in Asik. It would be a significant downgrade at the big spot.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

His struggles in Sacramento and the fact that they're trying to dump him only reinforces the fact that we made the right, albeit, heartbreaking decision to let him walk.