1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Harden and Howard want Asik and Lin to stay

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

most important thing for Lin is to improve his outside shooting so defenders cannot help off of him or give him space when he has the ball

his 3PT% really improved toward the end of last season so hopefully he can build on that

2. conquistador#11

I expect you people to reply with this and not actually want to go back and look at the games were we pounced on the opponent. Lin was a focal point when were running and gunning. On most nights, he made the correct passes to the open man. It's not just about assists. I don't know what games you were watching. for example, look at the games we won
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201212220HOU.html

Unless we go jvg offense, lin is going to be a big part of it. I trust calvin murphy and other analysts, garm knee jerkers not so much.

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Its amazing to me that you can spot out the potential in Lin. But Harden may get somewhat better. LOL Both players are young pimpn. Harden has the potential to becoming a Mega Superstar.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

lol ^^^ this is the same fool of a poster who last season b****ed at anyone here who called out royce white, b****ed at anyone here who called patpat a soft rebounder, and made at least 5 posts a day b****ing to himself that lin was not good enough for this team.

he makes coachbadlee look like morey's yoda :grin:

5. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

no offense taken because outside tex winter none can say they understand the concept and hence my point it's not going to work.I never said I understood the system because it's to fluid and you react to things that happen. It's not a written in stone offense.

6. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

And Harden is whats holding lin back .

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He's exaggerating a little but there's some truth to Lin deferring his game for the game McHale has forced him to play in system built for Harden.

Lin's game is creating with the ball in his hands, he's supposed to have the ball in his hand the whole game for him to be playing to his strengths. Instead McHale and Harden have changed his game, and are making him play to his weaknesses in playing off ball and spot up shooting.

It sorta irk's me knowing Lin isn't playing to his strengths with us, even though he's a solid player in our system the way he plays. It makes me wonder how he would play if he was on a team that fitted to his strengths.

Also makes me wonder how well a player who is fitted to our system would play. A non ball dominant guard who can defend and really shoot, behind the arc and spotting up.

8. gravityonme

gravityonme Member

Agreed. Plus, he has a full healthy off season to improve on skills that will be useful in THIS team. That instagram of that three point shooting session clearly shows he knows what is expected of him and working towards it. He's been highly critical of himself all through the season even when he's had solid games. Just because of NYK linsanity doesn't mean he hit his peak and has no upside.

Plus he loves this team. He's a huge part of the off court chemistry and morale that made us love the Rockets last season. He prioritizes this team winning over his own stats. It would be very shortsighted to not see if can fit till the trade deadline.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Fifth lowest usage on the team in that particular game.

It's like you people are living in some fantasy land.

10. Zergling

Zergling Member

Nice feel good quotes, but they don't really mean anything to me. You really think Morey would say no thanks to Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge because Dwight/Harden supposedly want to keep Asik/Lin? Yeah, right.

11. autoprt

autoprt Member

too funny.

12. joe101

joe101 Member

And 30% for Bev, x% for Canaan too so we'll be seeing no more than 10% of Lin running the offense. Brilliant!

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Do you even have any clue what usage means?

Usage is derived from FGA, FTA, and Turnovers. None of those have anything to do with "setting up the offense".

1 person likes this.
  14. Richard Djunk

Richard Djunk Member

Exactly, none of us fans know how sincere those statements are. Especially Morey's statement, GMs lie all the time, just like coaches, just like any and high level executive in any corporation. It's business.

15. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

agreed, morey is a good businessman. He tries to keep everyone happy as long as he can.

16. daleri

daleri Member

Along these lines I came across an interesting factoid recently, dunno if it has been all over the boards already or not. Beverley played his first game with the Rockets on 1/15/2013 and shot 37.5% from 3pt from then until the end of the season on 36/96 shooting. Over that same span Lin shot 39% on 55/141 shooting from downtown.

So there is reason for optimism about his ability to space the floor off the ball.

17. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

I believe our starting 5 included Lin. So using your own logic, Lin is an integral piece to winning 50+ games. Glad you finally acknowledge it.

18. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

I said in another thread that this was exactly the correct thing for Dwight to say regardless of what happens in the future and I'm glad to hear it from Harden too.

But really, unless you are getting a superstar player in return, why would you move Lin or Asik?

I'm excited to see how this team performs as is. With rim protection from both Asik and Howard and another year of development for Lin, Beverly, Jones and D-Mo this team has the chance to be scary good, and I find it amusing that so-called NBA analyst and even some Rockets fans on this board haven't figured this out yet.

Lin's statistics as a 24-year-old are very similar to those of Kenny Smith (although Lin's stats were slightly better). When Smith came into the league he was a scorer but not a great three point shooter (sound familiar?) but his percentage increased during his tenure in Houston starting in his fourth year.

We don't need Lin to be a superstar for this team to win titles. A quicker, better distributing version of Kenny Smith would do just fine, and I think that's exactly what Lin will give this team at a minimum.

Only time will tell of course but I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to see how good this team can become. Just be happy that we have all these guys and enjoy the ride.

19. choujie

choujie Member

He was in the Brooks over Lowry group years ago, as I remember. It's easy to make a bad call on one move or one player, but it's really hard to make every prediction wrong like that larsv8 guy.

1 person likes this.
  20. kcd

kcd Member

I hope Morey was kind of joking. I'm not sure I like the stars dictating like this.