1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Jeremy Lin really overpaid?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LCII, Jul 13, 2013.

1. zdrav

zdrav Member

Remember that the Rockets had a chance to keep Dragic and they passed, even before Lin was in the picture.

2. daleri

daleri Member

Jeremy's odd contract makes this really two questions. Is his pay commensurate with his performance relative to other players around the league? And is his cap hit worth using on him compared to what else you could have done with that cap room?

My answers to those questions:

Was Jeremy worth the ~$5 million in gross pay he received last season?
    Absolutely

Will he be worth the ~$5.2 million he'll be paid next season?
    Probably

Will he be worth the ~$14.8 million he'll be paid in 2014-15?
    Probably not.

Was he worth the 8.3 million cap hit last season?
    Yes. If we had not used the cap space on Lin we'd still have needed a PG and looking at last season's free agents who could have been signed for that amount I don't see one that would have definitely taken the Rockets past a first round playoff exit.

Will he be worth the 8.3 million cap hit next season?
    Probably. If we had that extra cap room we could have kept Thomas Robinson and still picked up Dwight but we'd have slim pickings on the PG front. If we had still made the Robinson trade we could have signed Jose Calderon but I'm not certain a swap of Jeremy for Jose makes a big difference in our championship hopes.

Will he be worth the 8.3 million cap hit in 2014-15?
    Who knows? We'll all have to see how things play out this season.

3. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Mario charmers is the GOAT

4. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

well the original offer was 6.3M/year
    Morey increased 2M more so NYK wont match

5. kcd

kcd Member

He didn't specify team percentage, maybe he meant individual. I don't know what they those stats are, but he didn't specify team.

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

He said win%. You win as a team. Would Lin be any worse of a player if next year he played for the Bobcats? No, but his win% would be brutal, because who your teammates are is a gigantic factor in win%.

7. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

That's just what your guessing. My Guess is that Lin will be better, I can't wait for the season to start.

8. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

With those stats then u add in potential, if Calderon is a 7.5M player, lin is easily a 8 mill player.

If he was a FA right now, how much could he get?
    I think he could get 8M a season.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yes

Lin is about 4-5 million a year player.

MLE is about an average NBA salary, and Lin is slightly below average, so a little less than that.

10. hahachui

hahachui Member

Lin is better than Teague.

11. OmerAsik3

OmerAsik3 Member

yep, there r tons of better pg's than Lin

12. OmerAsik3

OmerAsik3 Member

The reason why he signed a 25 mil deal was cause of marketing strategy hou was falling off the map!

1 person likes this.
  13. calmdowntime

calmdowntime Member

What? The average NBA player is the 8th guy off the bench. Lin might be an average or slightly below average STARTER.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm surprised we couldn't get the Calderon deal done with Detroit. Calderon must not have wanted to come here.

15. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

No, they're not.

Agreed.

Yup, troll confirmed.

Excellent post. And I remember torocan made a post about how rare it is for a player under 24 to score 38 points with 7 assists twice within their first year as a starter.

Currently there is no better available player for us. If we can get a definite upgrade, then we should go after it. But for now, Lin is our best bet at PG.

16. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

This is why its impossible to speak logically on Lin. The numbers produce responses that are absolute such as this.

The minute you use numbers and statistics - the eyes of everyone/everyone/& everyone they. they. tooo late ~ let the madness begin

17. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

Right, marketing strategy.

The same one they cut on Christmas Eve the season before?

The one where they had to apologize publicly and in person to not only him but his parents and family?

18. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

yep. morey knew he wasnt going to do Linsanity here and that was all a stroke of luck we'd never see again. But he wanted the attention and marketing he brings.

Now that we have d12 we have the marketing without him. so he can be traded when the chance comes

19. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/P7CDTQPZ9jM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/P7CDTQPZ9jM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

The guy guarding him that night was Jose Calderon. Whom up until half-time was "owning the noob left and right".

Go see how much Calderon made with the Raptors and review what his contract states.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/3X0C9U4jP5Y?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/3X0C9U4jP5Y?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

4-5mil would be a steal!

20. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

General manager Daryl Morey insists he is not looking to deal guard Jeremy Lin and center Omer Asik in the wake of signing Dwight Howard

He has cited Lin’s ability as an attacking guard as a good fit with Howard. He has talked about the value of Asik’s defense off the bench.

On Saturday, he added another reason.

“The reality is James (Harden) and Dwight (Howard) want to play with Jeremy and Omer,” Morey said. “I’ve been kicked down to assistant GM. They’re going to be here.”

Time to give up your crusade my friend. Unless you can convince James Harden and Dwight Howard to give up their own opinions and trust you over their own analysis and judgement ~ I wish you the best of luck.

1 person likes this.