1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones is reminding me of Lamar Odom

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JR, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

2. moetherolla

moetherolla Member

Odom has better handle and was a better passer.

I think he has similar game to Jeff Green.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Look, I'm not saying it isn't possible but summer league gives a skewed perspective. TJones has a lot of ground to cover before we think about him reaching the levels that Odom had.

I'll be rooting for him and DMo to morph into ScoLandry just like everyone else on this board.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If they ever morph into that,I will be dancing in the street.

5. pepsi7up

pepsi7up Member

if he can play smart as lamar...odom can dribble like a pg

6. Sanity2disChaos

Lamar is a better ball handler than jones and passer, but I can see the comparisons.

7. 9baller

9baller Member

Last year TJones and JLamb dominated summer league too... I think he has played decent in Orlando summer league, but he definitely has a ways to go still. I kind of lean toward thinking that DMo will play well with the Lithuanian team and get the starting spot to begin the season.

8. SSP365

SSP365 Member

i never understood the fascination with lamar odom.

everybody speaks so highly of him yet whenever i watch him play, he's about as smart as javale mcgee, unreliable, and cant shoot to save his life.

everybody goes gaga for the sole fact that he's 6'10 and can dribble the ball.

never liked his game.

9. adkijd6

adkijd6 Member

Let's hope he doesn't aspire to emulate Lamar's "charitable" efforts. What a piece of ****.

Seriously, this thread makes me sick. I can't even evaluate the basketball-related components to this comparison because I despise that Laker turd of a professional with a burning passion. Comparing T. Jones to my 2nd least favorite player (Derek Fisher = 1st) just seems wrong.

Anyway, I like Terrence and I expect him to provide very valuable minutes for us. Defense and efficient offense seems to be what he can provide, which we can really use.

10. saleem

He isn't the player he was many years ago.

11. SSP365

SSP365 Member

ive seen him since he came into the nba.

i stand by my post.

never liked his game.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Maybe he can become the StroShow

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FfN0gF6MIRQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Well, that would be terribly disappointing.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

It depends on if you value VERSATILITY, as compared to GREAT in key areas.

Odom does not have a good first step on the dribble, so it makes his drives look more stiff. Nor is he a good shooter.

Still, Odom started out as a "point forward". He handled and was a facilitator. Then later in his career he became mostly a power forward and one of the stronger rebounders in the game. Twice he's averaged a double-double in a season. And though he's not a good shooter, he can still go outside and present a threat and "stretch" the offense.

Thats a good array of skills there, regardless of the IQ. If it was so easy and regular, how come other players aren't doing it? How come Patrick Patterson isnt putting the ball on the floor and running an offense?

It doesnt mean more skills=great. Or else Royce White would be a #1 pick. But there's value in a player that you can put in anywhere in the frontcourt for an array of matchups.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Royce is more focusing on strength whereas TJones, Odom, those guys are lanky, faster. Jone has a decent first step. He seems to be a better athlete than Odom, I might be wrong. Odom in his prime had better handles obviously.

Odom with the Lakers mostly spotted up or crashed the boards. That's precise.

16. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Lol. Y'all remember that dunk TJones had against the Lakers? That always stuck in my mind

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Right on that. Yes, Royce is more about strength, not about agility and lateral movement. Also on Royce - Previous poster says people go gaga for "6-10 with handles". Though the Royce example shows how Odom isnt JUST tall guy with handles, that Odom does offer a little more attributes.

I'm not a big fan of Odom myself. But not gonna sell his versatility short because of him looking dumb at times. I'd like to think of T-Jones as actually usefully versatile instead of FAKE talented. (Jones does not pass the ball well though. Gets tunnel vision when handling)

Yeah, and actually thats the kind of play I mentioned about Jones' left-hand drive/right-hand dunk :grin:

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MQlbO8oX7M4" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Slow down, there. Odom averaged over 10 boards twice. He's way better at everything than jones.

The fan in me says the same thing you do, but he lives in a fantasy world. The realist in me says jones is Morris until proven otherwise.

19. saleem

I respect your opinion.

20. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

He looks like a great 4 man down the road. In regards to all around ability, but mainly defensively.

I don't think he needs to be a marksman from deep, but he should get comfortable with 2-3 spots from deep and then be a 3 or drive PF. Pick and roll defense, he can be excellent. Very good length, lateral speed, athleticism. If we have Dwight back, CP guarding you, we need a P&R hedger.

Jones isn't there yet, but he can be there. It's like small ball but better cause he won't lack rebounding.