1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

“Moderate” Indonesia: Muslim Hardliners Form Islamic Vigilante Squads To Enforce Morality

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobmarley, Jul 10, 2013.

1. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

“Moderate” Indonesia: Muslim Hardliners Form Islamic Vigilante Squads To Enforce Morality During Ramadan.

[​IMG]

And by enforce they mean beat the crap out of you until you comply.

Via Jakarta Globe:http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/indonesians-begin-ramadan-hard-liners-target-sinful-bars/

Muslims across Indonesia began celebrating the holy month of Ramadan Wednesday, with hard-liners vowing to raid “sinful” bars and police steamrolling a mountain of alcohol and p*rn amid rising intolerance.

Islam’s holiest month is used by hard-liners in Indonesia as an opportunity to attack nightclubs, bars and shops that openly sell alcohol, the consumption of which is against Islamic law.

There were fears the situation could be worse this year after a recent upsurge in attacks on religious minorities and non-mainstream Muslims.

Critics say hard-liners such as the notorious Islamic Defenders Front (FPI) have been emboldened by the government’s failure to crack down on them and prevent such attacks.

In the days before Ramadan, there were already reports the FPI — who led protests that forced pop star Lady Gaga to cancel a concert in Jakarta last year — had started conducting such raids.

“We will take firm action against the circulation of alcohol, naked dancing and prostitution,” Habib Idrus Algadri, head of an FPI group in Depok district outside Jakarta, was quoted as saying in a local newspaper.

He was leading a group of FPI members who confiscated bottles of alcohol from a shop at the weekend.

Habib Salim Alatas, the head of the FPI’s Jakarta branch, told AFP that 50 members would be sent out to monitor nightspots in the capital every evening.

“We will send out groups of two to three wearing civilian clothes to spy on sinful activities like the drinking of alcohol taking place around Jakarta during the Ramadan holy month,” he said.

2. underoverup

underoverup Member

3. bobmarley

The original source is Jakarta globe. I found out about it through WZ. Posted it with credit from original source. Again, I have never taken credit for any material or commentary posted and again I appreciate your consideration on this matter.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Well you used the title and commentary from one place and the article from somewhere else because the title was more inflammatory this way. You failed to link to the website where you got your title and commentary from, choosing only to leave the link to the newspaper article.

1 person likes this.
  5. bobmarley

http://weaselzippers.us/2013/07/10/...te-squads-to-enforce-morality-during-ramadan/

I'm glad you are my editor. It is helping me become a better poster. Thank you for the help.

6. underoverup

underoverup Member

It just goes to show what kind of person you are...... first you lie about your identity on the BBS now you are plagiarizing [the crappy] work of others.

One would think lying and deceiving aren't very positive Christian attributes, but I guess you disagree.

7. Major

Major Member

8. bobmarley

What are you even talking about? I have never lied about my identity on the BBS. The baylorbear fantasy is of SamFishers making. I have never hid who I am.

You claim I am plagiarizing falsely. I have never claimed credit for another persons work. If you would like additional credit to the blog I found the original news from I have been glad to share that with you.

9. bobmarley

Who says I have to share my own opinions? When I do, I have a list of people who find nothing better about their day to attack and bemoan every statement I make. So I chose to add to the discussion with news articles instead of adding to the debate.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I hope people in Indonesia stand up and fight against these morons.

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Sounds like a country Bob would be very comfortable living in.

Subjugate women, arrest the gays.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's quite eerie how Christian Conservatism has many parallels to Islamic fundamentalism.
    The whole misogyny/anti-gay rhetoric is strong in both.

13. Major

Major Member

You don't - it just makes you a crappy and fairly worthless poster. People know how to read the internet.

Perhaps that's a result of the quality of your statements? Instead of complaining about the attacks, perhaps you'd benefit from actually learning why some of your statements are so wrong - unless, of course, you prefer to just remain ignorant.

Yes, because these articles have added so much to the discussion.

14. bobmarley

I have never stood for any policy that subjugates women. I have also never commented anywhere that gays should be arrested. I consider your statements to be slanderous.

First, your opinion about the quality of my posts is exactly that, opinion. Keep it to yourself.

Secondly, many people do not know how to read the Internet especially with any sort of critical thinking. Most people are low info when it comes to policy or beliefs.

I share my opinions when applicable. If people chose to disagree that is ok. This is an open forum of discussion and thought where differences in beliefs should be respected and protected. The goal of this forum is not to proselytize people to your point of view for everything. We are rockets fans who come from all backgrounds and situations and find it fascinating to share what we believe with one another even if we disagree.

Most threads in this forum shouldn't honestly go beyond one or two pages, but because of the back in forth poo slinging they go on many times for hundreds of pages without any real discussion. I like to add new material to the mix to allow more things to debate and discuss especially when the poo flinging gets old.

15. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Everyone here knows what you are. The American Taliban

16. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Maybe instead of your bull**** daily outrage thread you should post a daily positivity thread. Oh I forgot, your programmers don't allow anything but daily outrage, too bad you can't think yourself through it. :(

17. Major

Major Member

Keep opinions about posts to myself? On a public message board? Why? This seems kind of totalitarian of you.

This is true - sadly, you are living proof of this based on the quality of articles you post, and how often they are simply wrong.

Except, apparently, my opinions of your posts, which shouldn't be posted?

This is all true. It's just unfortunate that you have no apparent interest in knowing when you are wrong and instead just run away from a thread and post something factually incorrect in another thread.

Or maybe poo gets flung because you posted politicially biased articles that spread misinformation. There are lots of conservative posters here that don't get poo flung at them. The ones that do tend to follow a particular pattern.

18. bobmarley

You seem to be a very sad person.

I personally believe abortions being restricted is a very positive thing. I don't have programmers; I just believe different than you do.

When you make incendiary comments directed at me I don't think that is what this forum is for. Feel free to question my beliefs or question what I post. If you disagree with something I post, that's ok. I don't have to spend the entirety of my day trying to discuss it. Sometimes, I know you disagree and I chose to agree to disagree and I move on.

I imagine every article that is ever posted on this board is biased in one way or another. In the time that I have spent in this forum, it seems like everyone gets poo flung at them. Just my observation.