1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones: Trade Asset, or Key Piece For 2013 Season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pragmatician, Jul 12, 2013.

1. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

any highlights of tjones from summer league?

2. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

We have all our picks (except the 2nd sent to Philly) and then some. I think we can afford to ship Jones out in a package deal for a steal, and then use whatever picks are left to continue adding young talent. This franchise is talented enough in finding diamonds in the rough late in the draft to do that.

3. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Fixed.

4. ahhh

ahhh Member

nobody's going to trade with us before the season starts.
    morey is banking on a win-now team big man getting seriously injured and out of desperation begs us to trade asik to them. it'll either be a fantastic trade or 2 unprotected 2013 picks or something.

5. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

No winning team is going to give us what we want for Asik...

If there's a trade it'll be a losing team with a pissed off star who doesn't want to keep wasting his time and strong arms the club in to sending him off.

6. RoxTurk

RoxTurk Member

whatever, we'll win the trade anyway.

7. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

The better jones plays the more chance his getting traded

8. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I haven't watched Summer League. Just looked at the stats. Is TJ really tearing it up? His stats don't look that great. Also, Greg Smith's stats are underwhelming, FYI.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Possibly yes,but also the chances of retaining his place will improve.

10. jocar

jocar Member

After a summer of working with Scola, I think DMo will step it up and earn that starting spot.

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Then again, if he plays well enough, why would the Rockets trade him? Morey still plays Moneyball, i.e. production (stats) versus cost.

Think about it. If a veteran player like LaMarcus Aldridge gives us 18/10 for $15M and a youngster like T-Jo gives us 18/10 for $2M, why would we make that trade?

12. Rokman

Rokman Member

Both. Along with everyone else on the team except for maybe Howard. If Morey could flip Harden for Lebron, the papers would be signed yesterday.

13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

DMo should workout with Dwight Howard on strength training. DMo is going to learn the art of flopping and not dunking.

14. tonyrock

tonyrock Rookie

It is not who you trade, It is who you trade for.

15. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

think jones is our guy going foward at the 4...but yeah given the asik situation, like many others have implied...a trade is a real possibility

16. tonyrock

tonyrock Rookie

Emotionally,I wish all good players got the luck like Yao can serve in one team only,but people think differently most of the time

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I think he's part of our future.

Unless we are totally blown away with a top 3rd star becoming available and the trade deadline.

18. Big Red Machine

Too early to make a determination. His value isn't likely that high right now, so how can anyone say he's a key piece or a trade asset? He played less than 20 games as a rookie, though he did average 23 MPG, 9 PPG, 6 RPG, 2 BPG and shoot 50% from the field in April. There's just not enough to go on yet. I think he'll be the starting PF this season, if the choice is between him or D-Mo. If he produces and proves to be a good and valuable fit, I say keep him. I don't get the obsession with going out and getting 3 max contract guys. I understand the team that's won the last two NBA titles has that, but it's really more like LeBron James (best player in the league), a big that isn't a star (Bosh) and an aging, hurty Dwyane Wade. And they damn near lost in the Finals last month. Save some money and stick with Jones, if he's good.

We just have to see how it plays out. There's no way to know right now, so let's pump the brakes on the labels.

19. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=241304

I recorded the game against the Jazz as well, but Jones didn't do much of anything that game. Easily his worst game of summer league.
    Forgot to record the other two games, which is unfortunate because Jones played really well against the Celtics. Had a bunch of good moments against the Nets as well, though he was forcing things a little too much that game for my liking.

Don't think he's quite ready to start, but I'd like to think that he's improved to the point where he won't be negative over the long run coming off the bench, which I didn't think was the case last year.

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I've been a rockets fan since 78 and I will say jones is one of the most talented players to ever wear a rockets uniform. I mean at 6'9, with his handle, and feel is truly special. Now its up to him and the the rockets to keep developing. The rockets have a championship level team right now. They have 1 superstar (howard),1 emerging star (harden),another all star caliber player (parson), and other role players. Jones can be the other all star caliber player like parson is he puts in the work. In team building,you need to let the team settle. The rockets championship teams were together for like 5 or 6 years before they won. They didn't get maxwell,thorpe,smith,elie,and horry all in 93.Those guys were together for the playoffs losses vs seattle.They need to settle the team and let the understand each other. The spurs are a classic example of this.