1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asik Trade: The Patient Way

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AndySwanny, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

You're a freaking genius man!

2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Morey will get proper value out of the deal. The only question is when.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Morey is smart. He knows our team will be very very good next year. For that reason, he will most likely let our team take off in the standings giving Asik even more value.

That's when Morey will rob some team like he did to the Thunder. Desperation is Morey's best friend.

4. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Exactly, there is no rush at all to trade him, his value isn't going down. We can do it mid season or at the end of the year. That would give us a chance to see how Dmo and TJ developed over the summer.

5. accougar

accougar Member

Chicago gets: Asik + James Anderson
    Houston gets: Taj Gibson + Jimmy Butler

If you take Gibson's production in 22 minutes a game and project it over 36 minutes a game you end up with ~14pts 9rbs and 2.4 bpg.

In Butler you get a 23 year old who has the potential to be a lock down defender who shot 38% from three last season and 40% in the playoffs.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Good idea.

7. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Heck yeah. I love that idea.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

They traded for Robin Lopez already and they have Myers Leonard.

9. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

This will be a discussion until the trade deadline or even next offseason. Morey has already started stock piling second round pick which are more friendly for the type of team the rockets are becoming and make our future first round picks more expendable. Morey is not dumb and will get the most value possible out of Lin and Asik whenever he decides to trade them.

10. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

This is reassuring. I trust him to make the best decision he can with them so hopefully that involves robbing another team blind, but I guess we'll just wait and see.

11. CARoxNut

CARoxNut Member

Totally agreed.
    We have people mistaken fantasy football ( or basketball ) as real sports. And throw out trade this, trade that....

12. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I think Asik is going to be harder to trade a year from now. The poison pill part of the contract that Morey designed to scare Chicago from matching was a balloon payment of $15 million in the 3rd year. Although it will only count $8.3 million against the cap, the team for whom he is under contract will owe him the full amount that year. On top of that, the trade will still have to satisfy requirements according to his cap value of $8.3 million, meaning the trading team will not be able to send back equivalent contracts in return. That's a pretty big deterrent to trading for either Asik or Lin in that final year.
    (Bima or another capologist is welcome to correct me on this.)
    Based on this, I don't think waiting will help. His trade value is super-high right now. I think trading him this offseason, where his 2 year, $20 million contract is still pretty reasonable for another team looking for a quality center, would be a better move. I hate to lose such a hard-working quality player, but I was able to do it for Scola, Landry, and Lowry, so I guess I can accept it if it improves the Rockets chances to succeed (and gives him chance to start again).

13. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

Asik to the Hawks for Millsap at trade deadline, then we're set for the Finals;)

14. RocketsFan69

RocketsFan69 Member

plzzz

15. Madclownpacasum

majority is really asking for a new PF. Y don't we wait if Jones or Dmo improves and see if one of them can take that starting role

16. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

A realistic a trade I read about was the one with the Ryan Anderson deal. It does not have the sex appeal that some of the other deals do but he does fit this team. Maybe Morey could get them to add a draft pick 1st rounder if lucky.

17. RoxDC

RoxDC Member

Didn't we get most of our foreign players (2/3) from Portland, though (via the Thomas Robinson trade)? Not sure if they'd want them back.

18. Damion Laverne

There's a random trade thread for this...

19. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

A point that's been made elsewhere that I haven't appreciated enough... If you trade Asik the team will be just as ungodly horrible on defense as it was last year when the starting center was on the bench. The statistics on that are pretty damning.

I'm actually very ok with riding with Asik indefinitely unless a solid defensive center is added to replace him and/or good defensive players are added to the bench of PF spot.

20. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

literally no one wants to dig through 200 pages of ideas to find Asik only stuff. Asik is the biggest piece and by far most likely to be traded player on the rockets roster.

hth