1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin fans: Why the opposition to 6th man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

It was in Houston! ofcourse he got a bunch of votes! Even he said he didnt deserve to be on the All star team. Im sure he got ALOT of votes from the Asian community as well. Lin will not be on the All Star team remember Stephen Curry didnt make the team and he will DEFINITELY make it next year.

2. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Because it's a fans voting exhibition game.... I'd love for Lin to be an All-Star, but it's not happening. All-Stars need more than what he can give us in his current role on this team.

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Your logic is flawed sir. Jeremy Lin + more all star votes than Harden = Jeremy Lin superstar > Harden and should start because Jeremy Lin won't make all-star team if he is the 6th man = Superstar Jeremy Lin should start so he can make all-star even if it means team won't win as much. lol

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

While I don't doubt that Morey is planning an exit strategy on the Jeremy Lin experience as we speak (especially considering Lin will cost the team $15 million next season), I'm sure Morey is in the wait-and-see approach with his point guard as the starter. I mean, what's it going to hurt to have Lin start and Beverley as the backup? I am intrigued at what improvements Lin can make to his game now that he has a center that can execute and finish PnRs on a nightly basis and who also has hands that can catch a ball unlike Asik. Maybe having Howard will make Lin look a whole lot better now that teams can't afford to leave Asik open and pack the paint.

The safe assumption here is that Morey will try and move Lin before the start of next season whether it be at the trade deadline or during the draft. Either way, Lin has an opportunity to shine and showcase his improvements playing with Harden and Howard and that can only be beneficial to him and the team.

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Jeremy Lin will play wherever and however Coach McHale WANTS him to play. Who gives a damn what his r****ded fans think?

6. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

If this works the best result, why not? People just want a star? Does not want winning for Rockets?

7. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

please stop it

This team won 45 games with no preseason and for some reason all we hear about is ridiculous ideas people do on their nba 2k13 season. Lin is the best point guard on the team, period. Beverley played well, but just because he played well doesn't mean he should start. There were games when Parsons was terrible and Delfino played great, so we should start Delfino? Beverley did his job. Lin and harden are learning to play together. They improved as the year went on and at times flashed something that could be special. (okl, atl, chi, la games etc) Lin should be a more consistent shooter this year and hopefully harden will turn the ball over less. Let's just enjoy this and not find ways to trade people away or hate people who play on our team. People hated Kenny Smith until he was gone and we were stuck with matt maloney. Lin starts, bev is the backup...you are not the coach no one cares what you think...let it go

8. jocar

jocar Member

Another LOF/BOH? Lol. The only people who think Bev is a dirty player are OKC fans who are pissed about the playoffs, and Lin fans who are jealous of the attention he gets for making Lin (and other PG's in the league) look slow and lazy on defense. He works his ass off hustling and you wanna call him dirty for that? Fk off.

9. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

We don't know what's best for the team, that is my point. Until you put the first unit out on the floor and give them time together, all of this is theoretical.

As I said, put the best players out on the floor at the same time to start the season. See how it works. If Lin is finishing games with Dwight Howard, he needs chemistry with Dwight Howard.

I don't want to over-think or over-tinker with things until we see how our best-players-on-the-floor lineup performs and looks on the court together.

Once we get a look at that lineup, and how things work with it, then I think we can start making potential alterations. I don't want the alterations to begin before we see the first team playing together. Hence, why I said let's not put the cart before the horse.

It takes time for players who need the ball in their hands to learn to play off one another. Wade and LeBron were not good at this in their first year together. Then they got better. I expect Lin and Harden to improve in this aspect.

When the Lakers put together their "Big 4" last year, the first reaction from Lakers fans was not "Hey, let's bring Nash off the bench." Even though Kobe is capable of playing PG and distributing the ball himself, and did so with Nash out of the lineup.

Nash was often relegated to a spot-up 3-point shooter and ball-watcher in LA's offense last year. I'm hoping we can avoid that same mistake.

We will need spot-up perimeter shooting with Howard around. But Howard also creates driving lanes and easy-bucket opportunities because of the defensive attention he receives. Lin's ability to attack and dish while on the attack should fit well with Howard on the floor. Possibly better than it would fit with Asik on the floor because Howard is a better finisher than Asik, which means teams have to pay more attention to Howard as opposed to Asik.

1 person likes this.
  10. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

But our offense would suffer. Harden is the best passer, creator, and shooter on the team. When you have a player who is better at all of those things than anyone else, you are going to suffer when they have the ball less.

Coming off the bench shouldn't be viewed as an insult. Manu was making a lot more than Lin, so the contract argument isn't really valid. The team plays better when Harden or Lin are playing next to a strong defender, so trying to limit the shared court time is natural.

11. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Harden was happy to be a spot up shooter next to Westbrook and Durant when they were on the floor. As I recall, his best skills were spot up for 3, or pump fake a 3 and then put the ball on the floor when they close in. He played much better off the ball.

12. rocketfaithful

I Don't know what anyone see's in Jeremy Lin! When he goes bad he goes extremely bad. I mean what other NBA player throws up a wide open airball in crunch time? The bottom line is a point guard like brooks is much better to have on your team because he can create his own shot and I get the sense that cannon has that ability too from watching him in college. I don't know for sure but he looks like his skills will transfer well. I would much prefer a Beverly starting and Cannon at back up and pick up somebody like Donald Sloan if one goes down. Trade Lin for a sack of trash! Sorry Lin only fans but I hate what Y'all stand for and it's just not in the best interest of the rockets to have a way overpaid point guard. Especially with two max players. I really hope Lin becomes something but what I witnessed last year was a disgrace to the NBA. The playoffs are when the cream rises to the top and Lin sunk like a rock. Now all the Lin only Fans are going to be like, but but....... he was hurt. He was not the first two games and Beverly still looked about ten times better. And in game six we would have won if he didn't come back and take brooks's minutes.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think it is worth looking at. It is also worth noting if Lin was a 6th man if he were struggling on a particular night he would be closing out the game.

I think you would rest harden and Beverley first and let Lin get time with Howard.

14. sfayner

sfayner Member

Lin usually comes out fairly early in the first and third quarters and then comes back in when Harden come out. McHale pretty much doing what you guys are describing, except Lin is starting.

1 person likes this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Meant to say if he was NOT struggling he would be closing out most games also.

16. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Lin and Asik will both be UNTRADEABLE next year.... They make 15m, but have a cap of 8.3, that means, the teams trading for them will take a whopping 6.7 million dollar loss on the trade, each.... They get traded soon, or they are here for 2 years. Lin as 6th man or Lin gone, Asik can stay, cuz he's beastly.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Actually I like Lin, I just think some of his talents are irrelevent with Harden. I think him coming off the bench while the starters are still out there and then putting in the rest of the bench will make the team better ala Manu Ginobili.

18. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Aaaaaaaaaannnhhh, wrong. Harden was the ball handler for that thunder team.

19. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

No, he's not. And I don't think it's very close, actually.

20. ada32

ada32 Member

One of Beverley's major problem is his foul problem. For example, in the Orlando Summer League, he got 4 PF in the 1st Q. A total of 7 PF for the game. BTW, there is no foul-out in the Summer League. That is his perfect fit!

Beverley is still raw and need a lot of work to be a starting PG! However, I love his high energy style. The fact, the coaching staff have him in the Summer League tell you what they think of his maturity. He will be a starting PG one day but not now!