1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dynamic Duo Part II

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by solid, Jul 7, 2013.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

In the Morey era we have had only one Dynamic Duo, until now. The first one failed for two reasons:

1. Health issues and injuries to TMac and Yao.

2. The lack of a really good supporting cast.

The closest to a "real contender" the TMac/Yao era came was in 2005 when they took the Mavs to seven before losing by 40. Bob Sura was the leader of the supporting cast. I loved that team. During the rest of the Dynamic Duo I era either Yao or TMac was injured, or our supporting cast was under budgeted, under talented, or both.

And that brings us to Dynamic Duo II, Harden and Howard and the same two issues loom significant:

1. Can Howard and Harden stay healthy?

2. Can Morey and Rockets put together a STABLE, healthy, and reasonably priced supporting cast? Or do a better job than they did before.

Clearly, the answers to those two questions will determine how successful Dynamic Duo II will become. O.K., yes, I may be Capt. Obvious, but it is easier imagined than accomplished. The next months will be critical as Morey either builds an efficient, talented, and complementary supporting cast or rotates in and out an endless supply of low budget scrubs. I hope they have learned their lesson on this one. Adding Garcia back is a good first step. Bringing in a top quality PF would be another. What do you think?

2. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

I believe the talent in the original dynamic duo was better than this current version. It is debatable though and being that Harden and Howard don't have much health concerns (as long as Dwight's back holds up) I'd take the current duo.

My question is, is Chandler Parsons better than any 3rd fiddle Tracy and Yao had? Scola I believe was the best complimetary player to play with them but one of those glass soldiers was injured every year come playoff time once we got Luis, save for maybe his first year when we played Utah.

Also, does Chandler have the potential to turn this dynamic duo into a big 3?

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

The other duo didn't have Lin.

/thread.

1 person likes this.
  4. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

i think we are more of a team with 5 quality players than a Dynamic Duo

Think of Hakeem with Otis Thorpe, Cassell, Kenny Smith and Horry

We now have a post player that everyone will double team in Howard (like Dream) and just need our guys to play around him

Imagine if Harden can get his 19 pts, 5 rebs and 5 assists like Clyde

Parsons can be a Horry like well rounded player

Lin can be a Kenny/Cassell like guard

then we will be a scary team folks

5. joeyftw

joeyftw New Member

James Harden is going to average well over 19 points even if he's not pulling the load as much for the Rockets

6. SPBR

SPBR Member

Howard can stay healthy by limiting minutes. Asik can help with that.

Harden had to prove he's a superstar so he could attract Dwight. Now that Dwight's here, he doesn't have to have sticky hands and should off load some of those duties to Lin.

7. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

They have a lot of work to do to catch up to these guys:

[​IMG]

8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

the best part was even if Hakeem was. double
    or triple he still scored over those fools

9. solid

The one difference between I and II is that the Rockets already have a stronger supporting cast than they did before. There are young players on the bench such as Donuts, Jones, Anderson, Cannan, etc. that are likely better than some of the supporting cast for TMac/Yao. If Lin and Asik stay, which is unlikely (at least one goes, probably Asik) in gets even better. There is every reason at this point to believe that Dynamic Duo II is going to be formidable.

10. i3artow i3aller

New age NBA calls for Tremendous Trios in this day and age unless you boast the greatest supporting cast in the L.

11. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

T-Mac and Yao had a crap cast with CD as our GM. Once Morey got his hands on the roster he really made it nice. Unfortunately we just weren't able to stay healthy once our supporting cast was good enough to contend.

12. JamesHarden

JamesHarden Member

Good try at belittling Lin. Lin and Howard can be a dynamic duo like Tmac and Yao. Rush Hour 5 son.

13. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Belittling? Really?

Do you even know who Kenny Smith and Sam Cassell are?

:eek:

14. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Smith is the dude on TNT and Cassell is an assistant coach on the wizards, right? :p

Yeah I don't think he knows them, I wouldn't say comparing Lin to those two is belittling them at all...

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Everyone is guessing how the current Dynamic Duo will work together, and if this is our supporting cast... the guys we've still got, and the guys we've signed or resigned. If we keep Jeremy as the starting point, then I'd consider us deep at the 1, with a promising rookie behind Lin and Beverley, along with Harden, who could play the position in a pinch. At the 2, we've got Harden, of course, arguably a top 3 shooting guard, quite possibly the best, and I guess we're looking at Garcia to back him up, although I see Garcia as more of a 3. Anderson? I don't know. Needs a lot of work. Needs to be consistent, which he isn't, and he didn't impress today in summer league play. Who else am I forgetting? We're deep at the 3 with Parsons, Garcia, and Casspi. At the 4, who the hell knows? Jones, Donuts, Smith, Howard/Asik? At the 5, we're the deepest in the NBA, with Howard, Asik, and that guy Smith. Over all, my opinion is that this group trumps the previous one, health permitting.

So the roster still needs some work. Power forward is a question. We don't have a Luis Scola to plug in for 30+ minutes a night. Someone solid and reliable. We still need a backup for Harden. Otherwise, we're damn good!

16. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

What about the defensive duo we will have next year with jones and Howard holding down the paint. AND IF we keep asik we can have a dynamic trio on defense, something we desperately need.

17. jocar

jocar Member

OK......... are you just trolling, or serious? It's gettin harder to tell these days

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

hakeem/clyde ---> yao/mac ---> dwight/harden

nice trend. yao and tmac failed due to injuries. having the best center with the best shooting guard is a dangerous combo for the rest of the league to deal with. we have to hope dwight and harden stay healthy. i trust DM to find and acquire the best pieces available to support them.

19. solid

Exactly what happened. When they were healthy, horrible supporting cast. When they weren't, better supporting cast, too late.

20. solid

The bottom-line, but there is a possibility that we will get even better. I have visions of Aldridge. That would be nasty. We could outscore anybody.