1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin will average nearly nine assists per game if he is the starter and doesn't get hurt

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by garfangle, Jul 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. kastuul

kastuul Member

The Rockets screwed Lin and let Harden take the ball out of Lin's hand.
    It's not what he expected when he signed the poison pill last year.

1 person likes this.
  2. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

That's fair, and my first responses to your comments were probably overly harsh as I made an unfair assumption that you were another LOH about to start on yet another troll tirade about how Lin should be moved for air because of how bad he is, when stats point to him being pretty decent, or decent enough to not warrant dumping for no real upgrade.

That being said, I've also lined out my arguments on why I would still prefer Lin to Lowry for sure next season. To each his own.

3. Akim523

Akim523 Member

couldnt care less... as long as the team win

4. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

No idea if he'd still be on the roster or not. Were we talking about that?

The contribution sounds fine, but people have got to remind me when these things vest. I honestly don't write them down and keep track lol.

Better question is, why do you think he'll do worse? Since all star break this past season, he was already a 15 PPG, 6 assists, 44%/38% shooter. Saying he will score the same or a point less while getting 1 more assist isn't that bold of a prediction lol.

5. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

For people saying Lin "disappeared" last season, I guess Chris Paul "disappeared" in 2010-11 when his points dropped by 3 per game, his shooting went from 49% to 46% and he lost one assist per game.

Now, what did Jeremy Lin in 2012-13 and Chris Paul in 2010-11 have in common?

They both were coming off of meniscus surgery on one of their knees

Paul didn't look like his old self until about 13 months after the surgery. Lin didn't get full strength back in his leg until about 11 months after his surgery.

Chris Paul's numbers went down as he recovered from his knee surgery. He didn't switch teams, he probably didn't switch offenses, either. But with his leg at less than 100%, Paul's numbers declined.

Lin's knee got to about 100% strength, reportedly, in late March of 2013. His April 2013 numbers:

17/3/7 on 44% FG and 36% 3PT

I don't know if Lin can average 9 assists this upcoming year. But Dwight Howard should help him get easy baskets in the halfcourt set. And if Lin's 3-pointer continues to improve, then you could really see a burst in his scoring with Howard in the fold, if Lin remains with the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  6. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9gSQg1i_q2g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. pnr

pnr Member

Lmao, the offseason for ya, folks.

8. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I hate these threats because they always turn into a LOF vs LOH war... And it doesn't matter how many assists he gets. Our pace will be slower, Dwight will be a better finisher, and Harden will spot up more often..
    Lin needs to improve his shooting (like he did during last season) and handles and defense - I don't care about his assist numbers I just want to see him help the team win.

1 person likes this.
  9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Hahahahaa.

You're pathetic

10. monster

monster Member

No idea what the numbers will be, but I think Lin's dribble-drive style will work well w D12.

11. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

^this and people will still say he's not worth the money

12. JamesHarden

JamesHarden Member

I love you Paul. What you say always makes sense.

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Yeah, that's ridiculous. It was take the guaranteed 25 million from Houston, the couple million qualifying offer from New York or not play in the NBA. The Rockets did him a favor and set him up for life.

14. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Agreed, it simply won't happen. I'd love to be wrong, but Lin's not averaging 9 apg.

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Alright then.

16. uncarved

uncarved Member

Even if Lin's raw stats do decline, but his efficiency goes up, why is that a bad thing? Lin's going from a 2nd or 3rd option to a 4th (or maybe even 5th, depending on trades) option this season, and that's not a negative reflection on him but a positive reflection on the moves that Morey made to upgrade the roster this year.

Put it this way, if you were to put anyone in Lin's tier of PGs (Lowry/Dragic/Teague/Calderon/Vasquez/Hill) on this team, they'd all be 4th options behind Harden/Howard/Parsons. The touches have to come from somewhere, and if you bring any of those PGs to this team, their raw numbers will go down because they aren't better scoring options than the 3 guys in front of them and they'd be sharing assists with Harden.

I hope Lin does well, and if he ends the season with a 46+ FG% and 36+ 3P%, he will have entered Ty Lawson/Mike Conley territory which is excellent for 8 mil/year.

17. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

Lin could have averaged 7, 8, or even 9 assists last year if he was actually the point guard on the 2012-13 Rockets! I think 6 assists a game is pretty damn good for a spot up shooter.

The question of course is will he actually get to play his natural PG position this year or is it going to be more shenanigans from McHale (which BTW only lowers his trade value even more).

1 person likes this.
  18. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Lowry averaged 11 ppg at the end of the season. His stats declined as the season wore on.

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Another post that only shows your ignorance.

20. rabblerabble

rabblerabble Member

We don't know what else to do!