1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Rockets give Dwight Howard what Lakers, Kobe wouldn't: unconditional love

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Jul 7, 2013.

1. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

No, that one is on a bus to Philly..

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Woj is awful when he tries to play amateur psychologist

3. kumakun

kumakun Member

Harden is not selfish...he'd share all those girls and strippers in the club. Lol
    But seriously, Harden is not selfish he's even said it during the season it's when he tries to do too much it seems he becomes selfish. Aka 4th quarter iso. I mean now with Dwight he's not going to iso as much 4th quarter since you got Dwight to pass the responsibilities to.

4. conquistador#11

'fantasies can run but they can't hide. when I find you, I'm going to put all my love INSIDE.
    I need love.'

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This confirms what Doc Rocket said. Howard left because of Kobe. Kobe is a dick and a big man coattail rider.

6. MONON

MONON Member

The way Pop was landing on Parker early on, Duncan wasn't the only one staying away from Tony. They didn't want any of the spill over. But here's the difference. If you didn't play well, Pop screamed at you! Period! It didn't matter who you were. I would love to see Kobe play for Pop! Kobe's never had a coach in his face before.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lets hope fun can lead to commitment to each other and getting a championship. The Heat have a lot of fun on the court too.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Keep in mind that McHale did admit in radio interviews that Harden ignores his orders on the court. He specifically said that he told Harden to quit trying the hero ball at the end where he dribbles out the clock and jacks up a three but Harden would ignore him.

BUT, that doesn't mean he's a bad teammate. I don't get that sense at all.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

Maybe the last time he logged onto Clutchfans a certain vocal group were complaining about "heroball" :p

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Btw, Harden isn't selfish he's just NOT STUPID. He knows the best chance at winning went through him on this team. I'm sure he feels elated at having help. He was was the focus of defenses for most of the year. Now he doesn't have the same pressure.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nice read.

Sometimes it takes some adversity to mature, how cool would it be if Kobe being an asshat gave us a better D Howard?

DD

12. Karolik

Karolik Member

All I got from this piece is that Dwight is immature and Kobe is a douchebag. Two things I already know. But, but, we need to get hits right?

13. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Agreed. It's stupid and deliberately makes DH look like some child who in Woj's words, needs to be 'coddled'.

I remember about 3 years ago starting with a well-regarded company in an executive level position. Many people considered me lucky for having the job - I received 5.5 weeks vacation (which was an insane amount), incredible benefits, and often got to work from home. On paper it was a great gig. Within 6 months of starting I grew to hate the job - my manager was a jerk, our entire team disliked him, the way he spoke in a condescending manner, the long hours (even working on weekends, holidays), the work environment was tense (we rarely took lunches and didnt joke much). Overall, I hated it, often came home stressed or angry, and ended up leaving after about a year to a job that paid less, gave drastically reduced benefits, and left me at a lower position. But I'm happy about the decision, it's been a great job, with great co-workers, and I like what I do.

To me, this is not a unique story and I'm guessing there are others who have been in the same boat, and this is perhaps the best analogy I can conjure up as to why DH didnt want to stay in L.A....it was just a bad work environment for him, he hated Kobe, the fan base sucked, the team was declining, the coach's system didnt fit his skillset, he found himself being blamed for everything, etc. Doesnt need to be framed in extensive psychological terms, to me its a very straightforward decision and one that most, if not all, would have made.

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. meh

meh Contributing Member

I've never, ever had issues with teams coddling star players. Not every player has that Jordan/Kobe mentality. If Howard is a happy-go-lucky kind of guy, then you treat him as such. If it means he only plays to 90% of his potential, it's still better than him playing for another team. Howard in Orlando, no matter his lack of offensive moves and lack of FT shooting, was still a top 2-3 player every year. Perhaps he could've been Shaq if he was eating/sleeping basketball. But he's not a basketball junkie. He's not intense. So he's not as good as Shaq.

But I still want a not-quite-Shaq/Hakeem as my starting center than any other player in the NBA. And I am glad my GM thinks the same.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This article rings true to me. Woj had similar things to say about LeBron, when he left Cleveland (but that was much harsher).

The fact is, Howard isn't completely innocent in how this went down. We know how childish he could be when he left Orlando, and its clear that his act wore thin with the Lakers.

Lets just hope that this is a fresh beginning for him, and with McHale as a mentor he matures into a real leader. It's time for him to grow up.

17. JD88

JD88 Member

I don't feel like egos are a problem here. Lin came and harden, Parsons, and lin all gelled. Team ball is essential on this team.
    I see big things coming houstons way.

If Dwight is happy, 24 and 14 is entirely doable

18. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

There were times last year he played very selfish, especially in the playoffs. Let's not forget

19. CARoxNut

CARoxNut Member

Absolutely agreed. Some people acted like a 40 years old when they were 18. Some people did not get mature until in their late 20. Remember how many stupid things we all did when we were in our 20s....

With the episodes in Orl and LA, I believe D12 gained enough life experience to be a mature player yet still carry a fun loving attitude. Nothing wrong with that.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He was speaking in generalities. And it is likely that at least some of the teams did not make it personal. Morey is saying he only had a problem with the teams that did make it personal.