1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones or Motiejunas as our starting 4?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Chucky Brown, Jul 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. JamesHarden

JamesHarden Member

There's just something special with those 2 lefties. Can we please have a poll for this?

2. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

I'd prefer Terrence, but let them duke it out for the spot.

3. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

I really like both players as prospects....whichever player is overall more ready...I do think dmos passing overall is a bit underrated ... He has a very quick mind as far as big men go...if he can improve elsewhere enough...he can remind some of us of Boris Diaw in terms of a passing big.

4. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Line up in crunch time would be;

Howard
    Parsons
    Garcia
    Harden
    Bev.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The shooting is the only question with D-mo.

I just assumed he would get stronger, so that never bothered me. He also mad mental mistakes, which only exp can improve. He can put the ball on the floor, post up and he has great length for the 4.

His problem was his lack of shooting which caused people to sag off him, so it not only clogged the paint for other, its cut off driving lanes for him.

If his jumper is improved he will make a massive jump in his 2nd year.

6. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

lets hope he's been shooting over broomsticks and dummy defenders hundreds of times a day

7. clos4life

clos4life Member

I don't understand how so many of you are hating our 1st year players in the league. They both will improve and surprise many of you on their second year. You'll see.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The lesser one.

2 people like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

FIFY

Would be fun.

10. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

If either one turns out to be a quality starter, we will be SET!

11. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

What the hell kind of user name is that?

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Great to see you posting!

As to the thread, Terrence Jones.

We'll have a nice bench unit, with Beverley, ... (Delfino?), Garcia, Motiejunas, Asik!

13. basketballrock

both are have good potential

hard to pick

14. Zergling

Zergling Member

I hope McHale looks at the matchup every game and starts a certain PF accordingly unless one player performs far and above the rest of his competition. I don't think you could ever go wrong with starting Asik at PF unless the opponent's starting PF can shoot from 3.

15. Roachiep

Roachiep Member

I think with the surprising success the Rockets enjoyed last year with the youngest team in the league and expectations in the toilet(most thought we would be a high lottery team and be lucky to reach 30 wins), a lot of fans have come to expect too much too soon from our youngest players.

I just want everyone to remember that Terrence Jones and Donuts were ROOKIES last year and very, very young. Jones is still 21, Donuts wont be 23 until September. I think they both showed great potential and the expected shortcoming given their ages and relative experience.

Jones left college early with tremendous athleticism, great range(though not a consistent shooter), quickness and leaping ability(showed flashes of being a good shot blocker, great foot speed to stay in front of 3's and 4's, but goes for the shot fake too often and overpursues on defense, I think in HS and college his elite athleticism allowed him to make up for poor positioning) and the ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the hoop(but his handle needs work). He has a smooth lefty stroke, and has confidence and good work ethic.

Motiejunas came from Europe, so we knew his strength and conditioning would be one of his biggest challenges. It sounds like he is up to 260 pounds and has kept his quickness and lateral movement. He too has great range and a better shot at this point, but has to work on bodying up on defense, moving his feet to stay in front of his man, and using his tremendous frame to get rebounding position. He should get be good for 7-8 rpg with 25-30 minutes. His 3pt ability, or potential, makes him an ideal stretch 4, but his % needs to come up a lot. Potential. Potential. Potential.

These 2 should provide us with 48 total quality if not superb minutes at the 4 in the coming years. Part of me wants the Rockets to trade for a star stretch 4, but I am more leaning toward the Rockets sticking with the picks they have made and hope for great improvements and the emergence of starting quality play from Jones and DMO, then we can decide who starts and who improves our bench unit. I'm stoked to see their progression and if I had to pick one to start today, I would go with Terrence Jones and his superior athleticism and confidence. He seems hungry to prove himself on the court, when it matters and I think he has what it takes to grab the starting 4 spot and impress us all. :cool:

16. Normalus

Normalus Member

DMo, if he can shoot 3pt. He's a better passer than TJ thought. And I can imagine he may be doubled sometimes, leaving Howard/Harden and others open.

[youtube]PNzWdR7Xu0M[/youtube]
    [youtube]XiL36cCkGpA[/youtube]

1 person likes this.
  17. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

I think you made a typo there.

Lin is spelt L-I-N not B-E-V.

Don't worry I got your back.

18. Iamshawnstay

Iamshawnstay Member

Jones...like dmo.....but I Im team jones....he ready!!!

19. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

damn. if we had just drafted faried, this wouldn't even be a problem, lol.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I pay you 2 cents for hindsight and another 2 for Leonard instead of Morris