1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We have a championship starting lineup, now we need a good bench (6th man)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Les isn't allowed to go over the cap and sign J.Jack even if he wanted to. The only way he can go over the cap is via exceptions or trade. The only exceptions available is the $2.5M Room MLE and Vet Mins. Or a sign and trade with GS with matching salary pieces from the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  2. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

I think Lin would make an excellent 6th man.

Better than he is as a starter. Just my opinion.

3. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

I think they should consider goudelocke considering they have such a right budget.

4. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

With Dwight, some veterans will take a pay cut to be here especially those without a championship. This is the Dwight effect!!!

5. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

Perhaps Lin...

6. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

I think this just makes too much sense not to give it a go

7. Hilarious

Hilarious Member

Especially considering he could be playing alongside Asik and perhaps Garcia..I really like that group (regardless of the other 2)

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Agreed, with Jerrett Jack as the starter. Only problem is a 6th man shouldn't be making $8 mil.

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I really wish we could resign Garcia. He really impressed me late last year.

10. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

Hope Garcia and Delfino come back cheap, hmm wish we could also convince Yao to give it one last try and play 10 mins

oh well, I hope veterans chasing for a championship would give a Rockets a call

11. SSP365

SSP365 Member

has anybody posted espn kevin pelton rockets next moves insider article?

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We have no backup 2/3 except Anderson. I remember Garcia implying that he would consider coming back at a better price - I wonder if he's willing to play for the minimum? He earned more than a minimum contract with his play late last season.

We have plenty of scoring though. Between Harden, Howard, Parsons and Lin we will never be short of scoring options.

I really like Lin as a player, but his only elite skill is pick and roll offense - something Dwight did not want to be involved in heavily, and something Lin is even less likely to have an opportunity to do (compared to last season) once McHale revamps the offense to suit the Howard/Harden combo. Beverley can hit the 3 at least as well as Lin and could provide some much needed D in the starting line-up.

As available assets, we have Asik, one of the PF's, Lin and FA minimum. IDEALLY, through those options, we need a backup C, a better PF, a backup SG/SF and a backup PG. I wouldn't blame the FO if we end up with a less than ideal role player situation, but that's what I think we need to be the best team in the league. Not many contenders even have the luxury of saying they already have the assets to parlay into more suitable ones.

13. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Marcus Camby as back up center if Asik is traded.

14. OmenXYZ

OmenXYZ Member

This. I love this. But he probably wouldn't take to the idea easy.

15. dragician

dragician Member

We need veteran players now.

16. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Gary Neal from the Spurs is available and not re-signing with them. Would be a nice pick up from Morey if they can get him cheap. He can really stretch the defense.

17. jackycool

jackycool Member

He said in his exit interview that he cares about his role. If he's running the plays as the 6th man then I bet he will be fine with it. I highly doubt it will happen though. Either Lin starts or Lin is traded.

18. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Von Wafer

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

J.Jack is the player I want the 2nd most right now, just behind Josh Smith. If they make that happen, I think you'd have a legit argument that starting 5 of Harden/Jack/Parson/Smith/Howard is the best in the league.

I've been a J.Jack fan since his days at GA Tech. Love that guy.

20. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Josh Smith / Ryan Anderson
    Howard

Is definitely a title lineup.

As far a sixth man goes? Definitely look into getting Delfino or Garcia back. A '3&D' guy would be ideal!

Failing that, Rip Hamilton could be our Ray Allen or Jason Terry. Shotmaker with champ experience.

Brewer would be nice but e really struggles with his shot.