1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA league sources ... Rox working on S&T for Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Another Brother, Jul 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. cml750

cml750 Member

I praise God everyday but as big as a Rocket's and basketball fan as I am I have never praised him about anything basketball related.

2. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Haha truth. Not for this thread to go that way, but I am not sure how signing Dwight furthers His Kingdom.

ANYWAY. After watching some videos on Smith and his lock down defense, this is a direction I am beginning to love.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I disagree Pimp, there will be no room in the paint for Smith, IMO he does not have the skillset to drive on his own, or hit the corner 3 - his rebounding is nice - but with Howard we really have that covered.

I would rather have a good PF that can rebound some, and hit the open corner 3 - remember how good it was to have Robert Horry spacing the floor for Dream?

That is what I am envisioning here.

But if it happens it happens, I will not nitpick about it and will just enjoy the ride.

DD

4. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

Praise Satan then! Morey's deal with the devil pays off! Harden one season, Howard the next! Praise be to Satan! Love that guy!

1 person likes this.
  5. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Smith does have some questionable shot selection, but he actually is a pretty solid shooter.

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm with you on this. I'm not sold on Smith, but if we get him I'll roll with it and hope it pans out. I'm really high on TJones, so I hope we can keep him. I also think DMo could break out too, so I'm a little nervous about letting these guys go. But if we get Smith we really don't need to keep all the young PF's.

7. Chamillionaire

I'd like to get Calderon and Brewer. Attach White and or Lin with Asik plus a pick and get Ryan Anderson and Vasquez.

Dwight / Smith
    Anderson / TJones / Dmo
    Parsons / Brewer
    Harden / Anderson
    Vazquez / Beverly / Canaan

8. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Smith is an underrated passer, he is actually pretty good at driving in the lane and as long as he is open he has a decent shot. The big problem about him is his shot selection - if we can teach him to not shoot contested jumpers he is a real versatile player that can do everything on the court.

9. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

I would like Smith on this team if we can't get Aldridge. All he would be asked to do is play D, and finish in the open court.

10. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Feigan reported that we wouldn't trade starting point.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This almost feels like a move to make Dwight happy - Jsmith does not hold up to Morey's advanced stats - he is not really all that efficient, or am I wrong about that?

DD

12. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

Perhaps Harden will teach him shot selection?:grin:

13. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Obviously DWIGHT wants the ball more in the posts & wants to be a huge focus. Wouldnt Aldridge take away a lot of the touches from him? From a basketball standpoint I think Smith compliments him a lot better & can roam around the basket more since the attention is on dwight.

Best quality about smith is his length and quickness, he can guard players like Ibaka, Lebron, Griffin.

14. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

Why not? In my book the God invented the basketball...

15. s3ts

s3ts Member

Chris Bosh is presumably one of the best PFs in the game who can do that for you, but look at what he did in the finals. beside that one clutch rebound + pass to Ray Allen's 3 in game 6, he was almost nonexistent throughout the series.

i understand. you look at LMA's game and it's just the perfect fit for the team w D12. and i want him too... just not sure if we can land him... :(

Carl Landry?

16. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

It's been years since I last posted here but DD is still up to his usual nonsense. I remember you ranting on about how you wanted Corey Maggette paired with Yao Ming because it would be a natural fit. LOL!

You'd rather have LaMarcus and Love but I'd rather have Jesus Christ and He-man, it's still not happening.

Fact of the matter is, whoever we bring on will have to accept a role as the third scoring option.... LaMarcus and Love are not role players. As well, Pau Gasol has already proven to be a poor fit next to Dwight Howard.

Josh Smith is exactly what this team needs. He would be the instant solution to the reality that is Kevin Durant and LeBron James. He can create spacing with his adequate catch-and-shoot abilities. As long as we do not facilitate the offense through Josh Smith, we will be fine. The fact that is a capable passer also helps in his role as the stretch 4.

All this said, I am very intrigued by Paul Millsap. Millsap has already shown that he can fit well with a dominant pivot in Al Jefferson.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

For me, it all boils down to what we are going to pay him. If its a near max contract, no thanks. 10-12M? OK

He is going to help the team in the near future more than Jones or Dmo will.

18. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I believe Morey over Broussard.

Asik will stay at least until the trade deadline to give the TWIN TOWERS a chance to work.

Unless Josh Smith is willing to take a pay cut and Asik really wants to go.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Advanced stats include both sides of the ball. Smith is an elite defender, and is an elite finisher. As long as he doesn't have to try to create, he should be a stud for us.

20. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

If we get him, we get him, but anyone else worried about 2 horrid free throw shooters in close games? Not too thrilled with Josh Smith...