1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amick: Houston trying to lure a Smith/Dwight combo...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If the Rockets do this, the 2013-14 team will be what they hoped the 2008-09 team would be: Dwight plays the Yao role, Harden being McGrady (or what they hoped McGrady to be), and Josh Smith being Ron Artest-- elite defender who is versatile, if not very efficient, on offense.

Add to these a decent collection of role players and you have a contending team.

2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

This is Morey's hole card to close the deal with Dwight. Trade White to Atlanta in a salary dump, plus cash, with a wink wink to do another deal. Then sign Dwight. Then trade Asik, Beverly and Ohlbrecht (salaries = $10.1 million) to Atlanta for Smith, with a new deal starting at $15.1 million.

Dwight reportedly asked if the Rockets could add a third max player. Who is the mystery third man? It's Smith. Welcome to the new big three, the Houston NWO!

[youtube]G7xlzLOZH5c[/youtube]

#42 JoeBarelyCares, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

if dwight and and smith are such good friends im sure dwight has called smith already and talked about how serious he would be in coming to the team. All smith has to do is be like yes go, and i'll join you, lets make this fun, i honestly dont see how he would turn houston down

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Unless for some reason it's a negative, it can only be a positive. He's already considering the Rockets seriously... and now a longtime friend could possibly join him? It's just one more benefit,

I DO NOT WANT Smith with the Rockets' cap room. If the Rockets land Howard though, it makes sense to add him going over the cap as a #3.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I think Parsons would be option #3A and Smith option #3B. I'm willing to roll the dice. Always have been curious to see how Dwight and Smith anchor a defense, they are going to start many breaks.

6. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

I agree completely. I only want Smith if Howard is coming, and honestly a lot of why I want him is because I think it will help land Howard.

Nothing against Smith, but I hope he only comes if Howard comes.

7. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

Can dwight just decide already ao we can stop all the nerve racking speculation!

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What would the Hawks be thinking in a deal with Houston? Have Horford start at the 4, with Omer the starting 5? They don't need Jeremy with Teague, who's developing into a nice option at the one. Looks to me like it'd be Asik for Smith, with hopefully White tossed in to make the salaries match. We might have to give them a 2nd round pick to take White's expiring contract. That would have Smith's deal starting at $15 million a year. Would they go for that? Damn, I want to keep Omer.

9. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

It's been proven last year that Lin is JUST a better passer and floor general than Beverley. He sees the floor better and many times Asik getting a lot open passes only to get strip or carelessly fumbled the ball. I doubt Beverley is able to see the floor like Lin. Beverley has his own strength and weakness and so is Lin.

1 person likes this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I also construed that comment from Cyberx as meaning that being Smith's teammate wasn't a necessity. I'm sure he would be very happy to have him or any player of his caliber.

11. Carl Herrera

Like I said, Josh Smith is Ron Artest circa 2008-2009.

You probably don't want to rely on him as your #1 or even #2 guy if his money keeps you from signing a true max guy, but as a #3 guy he's perfect.

12. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Can someone confirm that with the 150% rule you could trade Asik and say DMo to ATL for Smith going over the cap and still retain Lin?

After Howard is signed of course.

13. SugarLandDream8

Morey cut Lin when he was making the NBA min and he exploded in NY with Linsanity. He got a lot of heat from Les all season for it.

Morey is one of the smartest person in the world. I think he can do the math how Les will react if Lin explodes for Linsanity Part 2 for another team. That is a real possibility if the new team lets Lin play more than low 30 mpg and take more than 10 shots per game.

That's not even considering Dwight Howard want to play with Lin because he is a pass first PG and also excels in the PNR and of course the China connection.

#real talk

14. calmdowntime

calmdowntime Member

He said that he's "not looking to move either Lin or Asik", he didn't say that he hasn't shopped them at all.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'm very surprised at how many people don't like Josh Smith as your 3rd option

16. Carl Herrera

Teague may or may not be back, though. He is a restricted FA and somebody (possibly Milwaukee, where former Hawks coach Larry Drew now works) might make him an offer that ATL doesn't want to match.

That said, given the scarcity of good centers, Asik is obviously the more valuable piece.

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

He also said that Dwight is not opposed to playing with JSmoove

18. Hui

Hui Member

Our team probably be Dwight Howard, James Harden, Josh Smith, Chandler Parsons, J Calderon

19. izeroi

izeroi Member

That video just never gets old.

20. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Is josh smith an option to defend Lebron?