1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Interview on July 2nd: Dwight, Lin, Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 2, 2013.

1. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

I was against keeping Asik after acquiring Dwight but what Morey said did make sense, being able to have 48 minutes of good rebounding and defense from your C position is a luxury that almost no other team in the league has, and could be more beneficial than having a marginal upgrade at PF when you have T. Jones and Donuts who are young and could improve. Power forwards are a dime a dozen in this league, it wouldn't be smart to get rid of a starting C on a good contract so easily

2. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

that would be "AIBTJ", too long. :p

Anyone But.

3. Sanity2disChaos

For basketball Reasons ofcourse....:rolleyes:duh!!

4. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

In Morey I trust... just not his words

5. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

Asik would be really pissed if he had to come out of the bench when he knows he can be a productive starting C and a lot of teams will beg for his service. Remember he even yelled at McHale when he sub him out during the game (per Mchale).

When he is pissed, he will not perform well on the floor. When does not perform well, his production will be diminished. When his production diminished, his market value will be diminished. Before his market value diminished, he'll ask for a trade. You don't want to trade him after his market value diminished.

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

As long as the team is winning I don't see it being a problem. Especially since he is under contract for 2 more seasons. He has already shown teams what he is capable of as the starting center so when it's time for his free agency I don't think his value will be hurt if he continues to be productive on a contending team.

If he wants to cash in big time in a couple years he isn't going to sulk and play worse than he is capable of.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It's on like donkey kong! LOF vs DwOF!

8. Calmwater

Calmwater Member

If TRob becomes the second Robsanity in Portland maybe Morey will give him a 3 year 25 mio deal :grin:

It happened before, so dont be surprised when it comes true :p

9. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

Lin stays if Howard signs here also. Didn't Dwight say he would want both Lin and Asik to stay?

10. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Why didn't they get Royce White to pitch to Howard?

"20%, that's all you need to know..."

11. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question regarding "China".

Morey is just as reliable/unreliable as the GMs of the next team and the team next to that. So the interview is basically a buffet where you can choose to believe what you like. But as someone has pointed out, I don't think he would lie about what Dwight said.

Even if Dwight agrees to come I don't think we should trade Omer away, at least not yet. A $8.3M backup center may look like a luxury, but if it's a luxury we can afford, why not? With the amount of David West is getting it's unlikely we can get Josh Smith for any reasonable amount. Trading Omer away may create cap room, but we may have no one to spend it on. We may have luxury in C but weaknesses in other positions. Dwight cannot play 48 minutes a game, and Omer can contribute A LOT in 10-15 minutes, and we won't have to worry about Dwight being fouled out or being hacked. Besides, we don't know how Dwight will pan out. If part way through the season Dwight decides that he doesn't like the team/coach/uniform/arena/fans/city and start another drama we still have Omer.

Omer should not asked to be traded if we get Dwight, at least not yet. He should wait and see how Dwight will pan out. If Dwight becomes a pouting cry baby again, Omer may have his starting job back. And there's always the possibility of injuries.

And whoever suggested that we lure Dwight into agreeing to come then we make whatever moves we want doesn't make sense. If Dwight is unhappy, he's not going to play at the level we want. What's the point of having him then?

12. Calmwater

Calmwater Member

Nah, if Asik is smart he would like to stay if Howard is signed, why, becoz Rocket would be really contender now for the championship.
    So for a chance of a Ring, one would like to stay. How many talented NBA players never ever achieve to get a ring?;)

So if Asik is smart he would stay and see himself how does it pans out.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Was just getting around to the Dwight stuff.

I know I said in the thread last night that it would be considerate of Dwight to make his decision as soon as possible, I just want to brag and say yep I told you so to the person I was debating with.

So yeah...hopefully Dwight doesn't drag this out longer than he should. If it goes into the weekend he's dragging it out IMO.

But I picture it was a very lighthearted meeting in that a lot of jokes were shared and such...had to be with all those personalities in there. Hopefully it was laid-back and fun because I'm sure with Kobe etc in the room the Lakers will be this serious tense thing.

14. hkomives

hkomives Member

Actually, LOF's and DwOF's are on the same page.

Lin will not hand ball off to Dw and stand in corner, PnR and lob dunks would be the norm.

15. JMG524

JMG524 Member

Just consider Omer as insurance for Dwight's back problems.

16. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

no one is going to watch that garbage

17. NotChandlerParsons

Easy.. to be part of the quality programming on Comcast SportsNet Houston! Be seen by over 40% of Houston's TV market :p

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm going to guess it was asked that they remove that in the podcast.

19. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Yeah, it's not like he married a Kardashian sister or anything.

20. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I heard the interview live this morning and I can verify that is more or less what Daryl said in regards to those questions.