1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Yao slower now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by noskrillwill, Mar 25, 2003.

1. noskrillwill

noskrillwill Member

After watching some of the clips on CC from the 2000 Olympics, Yao looks real sluggish nowadays compared to his play on those clips... Is it the increased level of competition, increased body weight, fatigue, all of the above?

2. silvercatt

silvercatt Contributing Member

he's been playing basketball for years w/o any significant rest. it's amazing that he's still able to play the way he's playing now. his legs probably feel like 2 tons of dead weight right now. hopefully yao will get a well deserved rest this summer.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

why do people always bring up the fact that he has been playing for so many years straight? that is so dumb. the body only needs a few days to recover at the very most. in most cases a day off is fine. if you want to say he is tired from travelling then that is fine. but to say he is tired from playing basketball is just another absurd thing the media brings up.

4. kelsey_tam

kelsey_tam Member

Yao needs rest, both physically and mentally, from playing bball non-stop for two years. Too bad he would not get his rest this summer because he have to play for the chinese team to qualify the Olympic:(

5. coolpet

coolpet Member

nah, he wuld not play much min this summer, chinese rules asia, i think they might just play yao like 20 min each game, except the one aginst korea and japan. but i think it will keep him in shape. so it might not be a bad thing. and what do u expect when a much more aggressive and stronger yao will do during the summer to the other team :D ahha yao will be killing them on both end of floor

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i think it is importent that he has been playing non stop for a couple of years, you do get tired mentaly and physicaly.especialy on this kind of level.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I think he definitely needs rest mentally. Most people know what it is like to have too much coming your way and saying, "forget this", and doing it just any way that comes naturally. He can't take a break now, but it is good for anyone to get away from what they do for a while.

Bill Russell never really trained in the off season. I'm not saying Yao shouldn't train, but taking a break can make you desire to be on the court again. In other words, Yao should look at himself and make a decision. He'll know what is best for him.

8. PumperX

PumperX Contributing Member

u are so dumb.... it's mental my friend.

9. spiral

spiral Member

ever wonder why sabonis lost his mobility by the time he started playing basketball in the nba? cause he played too many years straight without rest and his body started to deteriorate.

10. Sane

Sane Member

Wow robbie, I didn't think anyone was even capable of making such an ignorant statement.

You went to high school 5 times a week, and got a 2-day rest. Was it that difficult to go to high school? Did you need 2 days to recover from everything? After all, there was little physical stress involved.

My God, the things some people say.

11. Nova

Nova Member

:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Come to think of it, I hope the Rockets do make the playoffs. That'll give Yao more rest.

Don't bash me, I'm just kidding.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I meant "don't" make the playoffs. :)

14. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

Maybe he has never been to school? :)

15. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Do you go to school 5 days a week all year, or 2 years non stop? Just name a thing that you do under so much pressure 5 days a week for 2 years.

I do agree with this though :My God, the things some people say :D :D :D

16. Quakes

Quakes Member

Part of the reason is that Yao has learned to pace himself when he's on the court. You still see him darting from end to end and he's still active, but not on every play, especially when it seems like there's going to be a fastbreak or when there's an ISO set up.

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

He was definitely dragging last night...

He just needs to R&R, which won't happen until after the playoffs...:cool:

18. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Robbie, you are the one who sounds dumb here.

Kevin Garnet made mention of the mental and physical strain playing for the US national team THIS SUMMER will put on him (including the travel and everything else) so he has not commited yet to playing for his country for that reason. Many reknowned head coaches agreed with KG on-the-fence stance including the legendary Georgetown former head coach Thompson (who by the way has coached the US national team before). Interestingly when the same arguement was used by his co-commentator KevinH for Yao in comparism to Amare during one Rookie of the Year smack, Coach Thompson called it an excuse back then :eek: but somehow found a way to accept it when it came to Kevins case.

Anyway Robbie I hope you have learnt something here from those who "know". Kevin is complaining of just one summer competition while Yao has played or capmed for more than 2 years straight (and last summer competed in 2 tourneys) without any significant rest. :rolleyes:

19. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

He's tired. Lay off of him.

20. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Robbie:- You must also take into consideration the Psychological effect of repetead action, it too can make him tired,both mental and physical.