1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I seriously don't understand the infatuation with Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tacoma Rocket, Jun 26, 2013.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am not sold on him either, but when he is right he is the best in the business at the moment, so the team would be stupid not to go at him if you are trying to win a championship.

DD

2. Big Red Machine

Rashard Lewis - 17.7 PPG, 5.7 RPG, 2.6 APG, 40% from 3, 83.6% from FT
    Hedo Turkoglu - 16.8 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 4.9 APG, 35.6% from 3, 81% from FT
    Jameer Nelson - 16.7 PPG, 5.4 APG, 1.2 SPG, 50% from field, 45% from 3, 89% from FT
    Rafer Alston - 12 PPG, 5 APG, 1.8 SPG

Defensive role players off bench like Courtney Lee and Pietrus.

No help?

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Clutch and the crew must have a lot more patience then myself. I would be banning people for starting dumb ass threads like these.

This is not your f'n twitter account.

4. Big Red Machine

I'm not purposing that deal. I just threw Aldrigde out there as a better fit than Howard. I was just proving to that idiot that a deal was POSSIBLE since he said the salaries wouldn't work.

I don't think Portland would mind Lin as a 6th man, BTW.

5. Big Red Machine

Well, they're adults, so that makes sense.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Hey, I'm on board for Aldridge as much as the next guy (apparently the next guy is the OP). All I wanted was clarification on how the Rockets can field a lineup of Asik/Aldridge/Parsons/Harden/PG TBD the OP had wanted without giving up what Portland needs (a center) or something of value (Harden and/or Parsons). But I guess the OP wanted to use Lin as trade bait all along and send him to a team whose PG needs were filled when they drafted Lillard. But what do I know, I can't read.

7. steddinotayto

So dealing Lin, our young players, and 2 draft picks is now possible in landing Aldridge JUST because salaries line up? Okay.

8. Agrieke

Agrieke Member

So you are pushing for the Rockets to sit with the cap room they have to wait so we can do this entire thing again next summer? At this point you have to take a chance on a player, and he seems to be the best available option.

9. steddinotayto

Watch out pwny, someone might not think you can't read and/or that you're an idiot.

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

And you must be too dumb to see the other 1,000,000 Dwight Howard threads.

11. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

While I realize the bolded is your opinion, that just isn't happening. POR doesn't need to tie up their cap on a position they have their future franchise player in. They'd want a SG or a big man, and the only big men we can provide are Asik or our young PFs.

Teams that might actually give up some big men in exchange for us getting LMA might be Utah, who have a ton of budding young big men. POR also wants Noah...I wonder if sending Asik and young PFs and a pick to Chicago while Noah goes to POR and LMA to us would get it done...hmm...

My point is, any deal w/ POR would involve Asik...almost certainly. Both for need and salary matching purposes. Getting Howard then gives us the flexibility TO move Asik, whereas if we did not have Howard, we could not move Asik w/o getting a similarly competent center back.

12. The Stig

The Stig Member

I like Aldridge too but there's no way Portland would accept anything short of a package that includes Parsons, Asik, Harden. Now if Aldridge was a FA this summer, I would be on the Aldridge train instead of Dwight's.

But Dwight is the ultimate prize this year. We have space, and he seems more keen on signing here than LA.

13. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

lulwut? You think they would not accept anything short of Parsons + Asik + Harden? They're over there asking for Noah for LMA, so you're effectively saying you think Noah > Parsons + Asik + Harden??? In value?

Or even Parsons + Asik + Harden =< value than LMA? Whaaaaaaa

14. Big Red Machine

I'd be surprised if they saw the floor together. I know Dwight supposedly said he'd like to play with Asik, but I'm not sure how that works out.

I stated the alternative. See what the #5 pick in last year's draft and Jones and D-Mo have. Those guys were all highly rated coming into the NBA and they haven't gotten a fair chance. They've only played 1870 minutes between them. It might not be necessary to bring in an expensive (and often injured) cancer.

Maybe not impossible if Robinson, Jones and/or D-Mo break out and Lin still provides value to Portland as a 6th man. Or we add 2nd tier guy this offseason that provides value.

I understand why the FO is going after Howard, I just don't like it. I don't think it'll work out. But you gotta try. I just think the guy's toxic and a pouting baby. I don't think he has what it takes to will his team to a championship. Of course you need help but you need your top dog to have that in him.

15. Roxlove

Roxlove Member

Fellas, fellas, PLEASE! Can we all try to be at least a TEENSY bit more mature here? Hmm? No need to be so mean or insulting here, we're all big boys now, and OP is free to start as many stupid threads as he wishes (not that I would know about that), mm-K? TIA ;)

16. Big Red Machine

Nothing wrong with what he said. He can clearly read and understand what I wrote.

You should take notes.

17. Big Red Machine

Howard had much more talent/help on that Orlando team than Aldridge has ever had in his career. Also, Howard came out of an easier conference.

18. Tacoma Rocket

Tacoma Rocket Member

Agreed

Of course, since I started a similar thread, I agree with the OP, and think he stated things well. But those who disagree simply call dissenters idiots. Bottom line, ask yourself if you see him standing at center court, wearing a Rockets jersey and hoisting up a trophy. I simply can't. And agree we don't HAVE to do anything drastic. Let this team gel. The reason there aren't many dominant centers is because the game is changing. You don't have to have a dominant center to win and Miami is proving that. It is unfair to compare Asik to Dwight by stats. They don't play the same minutes, nor are they used even remotely the same way. You can get different production out of a center like Asik and he will improve. Go after a true Power forward who can shoot if you MUST sign a star now. we have one of the betters centers in the league already. What we need is a Power Forward. I would not be opposed to Aldrich either if he can be had without gutting the team.

I love this link below. Yes, Asik is a far better value than Dwight.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2013/05/omer-asik-vs-dwight-howard-whos-the-better-value/

Let the cursing by the 15 year olds who weren't even alive the last time the Rockets won a championship begin. in 5-4-3-2....

19. Big Red Machine

Teams need back-up PGs, right? Lin and Lillard could also play together in a small-ball lineup, right?

Lin could hold value to Portland.

20. The Stig

The Stig Member

My fault. Left out an OR in that post.

How one word makes all the difference in the world lol