1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 2 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

DocRocket Speaks!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BasketballReasons, Jun 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I know, FOR A FACT, that the Miami Heat had a celebratory boat party with their entire marketing department in JUNE of that year. What were they celebrating?? LeBron James and Chris Bosh both signing with the Miami Heat. Make of that what you will.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Anyone in sales should know that you don't celebrate your wins until you get them to sign on the dotted line.

Maybe the boat party was specifically related to the big 3 POTENTIALLY signing in Miami, but it also is possible for a group of co-workers during the slowest season of their business throwing a party on a boat in their backyard on the ocean..... Just because they like getting drunk on a boat, making bad decisions, and just basically having a good time.

I didn't know you needed to sign Lebron James in order to get drunk on a boat.

3. dobro1229

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but a little perspective would be nice.

I have no doubt that folks in the Rockets org feel good about their chances based on what they are hearing, but they would be dumb to start planning the victory parade just yet.

It's Dwight Howard we are talking about here, and things can change on a dime. The fact is, he has not signed a contract with the Houston Rockets yet and until he does, there is no such thing as a sure thing.

1 person likes this.
  4. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Heard that before.

5. Fyreball

Did I say it was about them POTENTIALLY signing? No. I'm incredibly aware of what I said, and I'm also incredibly aware of the implications of what I said. Not that I feel the need to divulge any more information to you since you obviously don't care to hear it, but the Heat were VERY confident that they were signing both LeBron and Bosh WELL before the moratorium was over. the front office also decided to treat the marketing and sales staff to a celebratory party because they knew that they were in for an incredibly large rush of season ticket holders (as well as general buzz), and wanted to get their people in the right state of mind.

6. dobro1229

I wasnt calling you a liar. I have no idea. Maybe you are Pat Riley himself for all I know. But i was making a point that there are many reasons for people to throw parties. People celebrate at Wedding Showers before the bride ever says I do so it's a possibility you are correct.

However if you were there in person and if that's what they were toasting to on the boat than good for those folks.

The fact is Lebron had not signed on the dotted line at that point and could have looked pretty damn stupid if Lebron pulled out at the last minute to seek other offers.

In the Rockets case, I just don't see them throwing the same kind of celebrations until the deal is done and I would certainly hope that they wouldn't be dumb enough to put themselves in a Joe Smith tampering situation. They already have enough heat on their tails as it is.

#226 dobro1229, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  7. Fyreball

Sure. We all know there is an inherent risk of someone backing out of a verbal agreement at the last minute, but this isn't like buying concert tickets, or helping a friend move. Players as well as agents have a TREMENDOUS amount of pressure to uphold their reputations since their entire livelihood depends on it. It's not just about signing with a particular team. It's about the relationship that player holds with the entire organization, it's about players wanting to come and play with him, it's about marketing opportunities, movies, television, shoe brands, and a whole lot more. There's a reason why Dwight is so upset about how badly his image has been hurt after the Dwightmare last year, and why he's so upset about the media leaks this year. He's trying to repair that image, and reneging on a verbal agreement does nothing to help that. I'm not saying he's come to an agreement with the Rockets or any other team for that matter, I'm just saying that it isn't preposterous......just like it wasn't preposterous for the Heat to celebrate on a boat a few years ago.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

These threads are always fun and I agree that some of the younger heads need to have more respect for Doc.

That said, it's only mid-June. If this thread is, indeed, about suggesting Dwight jumping ship is a done deal, I'd prefer to wait like most others until he signs the dotted line.

Dwight could announce two weeks from now that he wants to play basketball in China and I wouldn't be surprised. Trying to predict the minds of the unpredictable is a waste of time.

9. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hmmmmmm......

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>&quot;Ain't playing these games no more. Tell 'em&quot; --'Management?'--&quot;No. Tell Broussard. I hate this watched pot...&quot; <a href="http://t.co/yK3a6RC7fZ">pic.twitter.com/yK3a6RC7fZ</a></p>&mdash; Doc Rocket (@Thedocrocket) <a href="https://twitter.com/Thedocrocket/statuses/350274796904382464">June 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>&quot;Where's Bobby?&quot; ........&quot;In the shower.&quot; <a href="http://t.co/BLG6Z4z0O2">pic.twitter.com/BLG6Z4z0O2</a></p>&mdash; Doc Rocket (@Thedocrocket) <a href="https://twitter.com/Thedocrocket/statuses/350278266516553729">June 27, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>leaks aren't n media. leaks R n printers, avid editinG sUites, sketches, &amp; funnY mock practiceS. scRew every 1.2 much steel 4 Our Kids? ez</p>&mdash; Doc Rocket (@Thedocrocket) <a href="https://twitter.com/Thedocrocket/statuses/350284483578171393">June 27, 2013</a></blockquote>

10. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Wapner at 4. Have to watch Wapner at 4.

1 person likes this.
  11. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

He also tweeted about Reggie Bullock.

12. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

eh **** got old fast. I spend enough time trying to decipher chicks. I want my basketball news straight up.

13. qwerty

qwerty Contributing Member

R GUYS R OK

14. Nero

Nero Member

Not exactly sure about the first one, but the 2nd one is a reference to Dallas, and the infamous season that was essentially erased because it turned out to have been nothing but a dream.

That, plus the big statue at the State Fair burning down, tells me this is somehow confirmation that Dallas' dreams of landing DH are doing up in smoke, and were nothing but a dream.

3rd one...?

R GUYS R .. ? 1.2 much steel? 4 our kids ez ? R GUYS R OK? I dunno...

15. Karolik

Karolik Member

ZZZZ...who?

16. Browny

Browny Member

our guy is our 1-2 for our kids...

17. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

Mustard and scarlet could be a nod to our alternative jersey colors?

18. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

The first one? Mustard? That`s an easy one, ain`t it. Especially right next to red.

The second one? Dallas as a smoke screen.

The third one? That`s the tough one. R Guys R 12 4 OK. 12, that`s DH12, R could mean "our" or "Rockets" or "are". If you play a little bit around it might read OK Guys, 12 4 R(ockets).

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

More jibberish.:rolleyes:

20. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

"Our guys are ok" is what I am reading.