1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I seriously don't understand the infatuation with Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tacoma Rocket, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Tacoma Rocket

Tacoma Rocket Member

I am a long time Rockets fan and have followed Clutch Fans for a long time as well, although I have not been a posting member for while. I must ask, knowing those passionate about the move will attack me for it: Why on earth do we want Dwight Howard? While I acknowledge he is a great physical player, the down sides are many. In addition, simply put, don't we really need a Power Forward? We already have a very solid center in a league where there really aren't many true big men anymore. Why not fill the PF need instead? To add another center, or (essentially) trade Asik to make room for Dwight, simply lacks logic. Here are the downsides I see to Dwight:

He's a headcase
    He has a bad back and is physically on the downside of his career
    He is expensive
    He appears not to be a good locker room guy
    He has not wanted to play in Houston
    He can't shoot free throws to save his life
    He lacks loyalty or heart

Even the Laker fans don't seem all that sad of the notion that he may leave. Why do we want to make someone else's problem ours? [Ask Orlando]

I love what we did with the roster last year and believe that some seasoning of this roster could do wonders. That's what happened when we finally won our first championship. We let the team gel for a couple seasons and just added pieces.

If we really MUST add another superstar, make it a power forward, and leave the rest of the core in tact. I guess I remember all too well the failed additions of guys like Barkley, Pippen, and really for the most part TMAC. Adding guys like this on the backside of their careers, or when they have had injury/attitude problems never seems to work. I know I wrote a novel, and really was asking a question, so if someone can explain why this is such a lock to work, I might be able to get more excited. But as it stands now, I just don't see why we want to do this to a roster that has a bright future.

2 people like this.
  2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So, tell us what power forward we can realistically get...

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

5-star thread

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tDeUWTbeBvo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He is a rim protector like we haven't had since Dikembe.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's amazing really.

It's your FIRST post and your FIRST thread and it will be rated ONE star.

[​IMG]

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nice try Laker fan.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Impeach Morey!!! Tacoma Rockets for Rockets GM!!!!

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good point. Let's sign LeBron instead and put him at PF.

9. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Because he is the best player at his position.

10. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

11. Chamillionaire

D12 and Asik. We own the paint.

12. rocketblood713

13. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

I'm with the No Dwight To HOuston Wagon...Regardless of injury..I haven't seen no real improvement in Dwight..Shooting...Learning to create on his own..Not happening..Could it be the system hes in..coaching??.What proof can some of you come up with that Dwight will be better on the Rockets..Is his free throw shooting going to just get better..Be real.

His lack of court awareness is what bugs me the most..Nash was yelling at his because hes not understanding where to be on double coverage on the baseline..If Dwight would of taken 2 extra steps to the left..It probably would of resulted in a field goal..

Its clear to me that he wasn't listening to Hakeem when he was training him..

14. Tacoma Rocket

Tacoma Rocket Member

"Because he is the best player at his position".

So under this theory we should go out and get Kobe to replace Harden?

"He is a rim protector like we haven't had since Dikembe".

And we won how many playoff games (let alone championships) when Deke was in Houston?

Even with Kobe, Pau, Nash and all the other talent, the Lakers barely finished in front of our COMPLETELY revamped roster, even with DWIGHT. Kobe had to call him out for HIS [lack of] effort. How did that 7th place finish work out for the Lakers? Had we not choked down the stretch, they finish 8th.

Still haven't heard a logical reason why this guy will succeed in Houston when he didn't in LA. And if you are saying to play him alongside Asik, teams with althletic PFs will dominate us.

15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Harden is the best SG in the league with age playing a factor. Deke wasn't a centerpiece of the team but we did get out of the first round with him and took the Lakers to 7 as a severely depleted team. I don't know if your trolling but Dwight can catch the ball in the paint unlike any player on our roster. He will average 24 and 13 with 3 blocks with our fast pace team.

17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Three reasons. Extra year removed from back surgery. Coach that has proven success developing post players, and was one of the best power forwards of all time. Team that actually believes in running post plays for him.

18. mrm32

mrm32 Member

He took a bunch of 3 point shooters to the finals on his own. He's the best player at his position. He adds much needed front court scoring. Another great defender behind Asik. He can catch and finish in our up tempo offense. He fits in great with our shooters. He makes us instant contenders. He will get the comcast deal done. Need I say more?

19. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Anyone that doesnt want Howard on this team is being foolish.

1. Howard would clean up A LOT of the defensive mistakes made on the perimeter.
    2. He would be a great PnR player to have on the floor. He would finish plays with dunks, and not fumble the ball or miss layups like Asik.
    3. He would control the boards
    4. He would get our shooters even better looks on the perimeter due to teams having to help on him in the paint
    5. We would get a HEALTHY and HAPPY TO BE HERE Howard, not that laker version from last year that most of you are basing your judgements on. Think D Howard 2010!
    6. He and Asik could play some time together on the floor meanng other teasm get 1 shot per possesion.
    7. McHale would be a very good coach for him to work on his offensive game.
    8. Having Harden, Parsons, and Howard would draw other FAs here that want to win.
    9. He may also help make Lin better by opening up the floor. Teams dont worry about Asik in the PnR.

20. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

[​IMG]

5 star thread! Will read again right now!