1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

{Business Analyst} Sample interview questions ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OlajuwonFan81, Jun 24, 2013.

1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I have an interview on Tue. Any of u that are in the BA role or have knowledge please advise. What type of questions should i expect?

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

I have nothing positive to add, but just like to say I, too, am interested in knowing the questions.

3. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Well here are some good questions I found online but now unfortunately I need someone to answer them. If anyone with knowledge can answer these questions I will give them REP but more importantly be forever grateful.

What analysis and modeling techniques and methodologies have you found to be the most effective, and why?

What are some of the most important points a business analyst must take care of when preparing a business plan?

What diagrams and/or other materials do you use to capture and describe customer needs and convey technical information?

How many business case engagements have you worked on? What was your involvement?

Tell me about a time when you created long-range plans at a previous employer.

How do you determine which Business Intelligence (BI) tools to use?

If two companies are merging, explain what tasks you would implement to make the merge successful, and how you would implement those tasks.

Explain the steps you must take to create use cases when working with specific document requirements.

Describe three of the different types of diagrams that business analysts most often use.

Define and describe the difference between basic flow, exception flow, and alternate flow in use cases.

4. SlvrBtl

SlvrBtl Member

Well first what type of BA role are you talking about? Is it a more software BA focus, or is it a finance BA focus? The types of questions depends on what role the BA functions for the company. Based on your answer to the question I stated the models, diagrams, and analysis techniques may differ.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

What would be a good answer for these two Q's?

6. SlvrBtl

SlvrBtl Member

I don't do anything with business plans so I can't comment on that.

For the second question:

Business Process Model
    Conceptual Data Model
    Use Case Diagrams

After performing a requirement gathering session/workshop with the client, the BA must then create those models and develop a high level business requirement document. That document will capture the "problem"/customer need in a high level. After a BRD is reviewed and approved with your stakeholders, a functional/system requirement document is created that will then be passed on to your developers and testers. This is where you go in to the details of the high level requirements so your developers know what to build.

An answer to a lot of BA questions will be "It Depends". Basically depending on the type of development, waterfall or agile, the materials you use to capture or describe the requirements can change. I have always thought the BAs that I train to be adaptable; models, diagrams, and techniques change. There will always be a new model or a new diagram that is better than the last.

It has to be in the DNA of the BA to question. In my opinion, BAs are not paid to know, we are paid to ask.

2 people like this.
  7. SlvrBtl

SlvrBtl Member

Doh! Taught not thought.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I am actually a Business Analyst for the company I work for. But none of the questions you posted have anything to do with what I do. Like someone else said, it's going to vary a lot depending on the company/industry you work for.

At my company, the title Business Analyst is sort of a catch-all job title for people who do a little bit of everything. I don't sit around analysing business all day, per se. There are a ton of Business Analysts here and we all have totally different responsibilities. But what we all do is solve problems for upper management.

BTW, if you can google a bunch of interview questions, why can't you google the answers for them as well?

9. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Well just out of curiosity what do you do on a daily basis?

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

What company are you applying for and can I apply too? :D

11. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I actually had a recruiter contact me. I don't even have much knowledge on the actual company. They just told me it is a business analyst position in the health care industry, and that I will have an excel test first. So this is why some of my questions are a bit ambiguous. I hope someone here can help with what i should be prepared for or able to answer some of those questions.

12. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Thanks for the response.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

Anyone here have some insight on the business plan question?

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

From what staffing agency is your recruiter from? May I get a hold of him? See if he can help me get a job too? Thanks...