1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Chandler Parsons be fined for tampering? This rule in the CBA says he could.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BeardsOnParade, Jun 22, 2013.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

They can't fine Parsons. He makes no money.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He would be paying the NBA for the privilege to ball.

3. BeardsOnParade

this is the quote i was actually looking for and hoping someone would post, because before i read this CBA quote this is what i was thinking of. Thats why im curious to see how this plays out

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

good pull

5. BeardsOnParade

how about this tho, that says july 12 2010. The new CBA wasnt in effect at that time.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

3.6 million? Pfft, that's pleb money.

7. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Stern is actually smart. Put the rules in the book so that it can be enforced one day on serious offenses.

If Stern tried to prevent NBA from talking to each other, NBA will be taken to court for some serious worker rights/possibly civil rights issues.

8. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

That's the real question... This isn't about what the Heat or anyone else did under the old CBA, this is a new CBA. I don't remember too much recruiting last off season during the moratorium.

9. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

3.6 million? He made 888K last year. Or did I misunderstand you?

10. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

3.6 mil is his total 4 year contract... what a damn bargain.

11. basketballholic

I brought this up in another thread about CP3 recruiting Doc. Somebody asked Coon about it. He indicated that if it could be proven that Paul had direct contact with Doc regarding becoming head coach of the Clips while Doc was still under contract with the Celtics that it could meet the definition of tampering here.

12. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Yeah that sounds right since it's a player talking to another organization's management (coach). Player to player has historically been okay.

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

By OP, yep he's guilty and he's broadcast it - deserves fine (which hopefully les would pay..), but this post is the 'wiggle room'...

14. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Free agents aren't under contract. I know technically Howard isn't a free agent yet. But come on, it would be absurd to punish players for this!

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Parsons should keep enticing. Worth the hit IMO. Harden should help him pay it though since Parsons is the poorest starter.

16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

That section of the CBA that is quoted in the article isn't new to this CBA. The exact same clause was present in the prior CBA (2005).

Here's a couple of links that quote the same exact section of the CBA in regards to Carmello and the Miami trio (both under the 2005 CBA).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_rosenberg/02/18/carmelo.all.star/index.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100710204018AAtqOfG

The 2nd one contains yet another NBA quote on the matter:

Here's what league spokesman Tim Frank actually told reporters: "We have a rule that prohibits players from tampering with other players. With that said, we understand that players talk and interact with each other all the time and there's no real way to regulate that. We therefore reserve discipline only for the most egregious player tampering cases. In our view, the comments by Dwyane do not meet that standard."

Bima is a lawyer so he's much more qualified to lend an opinion but to me it looks like the league doesn't think that they can enforce the rule so they've choosen to let it go. James, Wade and Bosh met to discuss their FA options so I don't see how Parson's texting could be deemed a more serious offense.

17. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

18. dream1222

dream1222 Member

they should gine CP3 first

19. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

This is not a story. Parsons is not going to be fined.

20. alethios

alethios Member

Maybe he shouldn't be so obvious about it on twitter, but the league will only go after teams, not individuals because it would futile to go after every player who chatted up another player on a different team.

With that said, I hope it works. Chandler is also friends with Blake Griffin.