1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin shooting 78% from 3's??!?! (Predict Lin's 3 Pt FG% Next Season)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PositivityDome, Jun 17, 2013.

1. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Agree. Lin should try other coaches. He can always go back to Scheppler if they don't work out. He may be shooting better more out of talent than coaching.

2. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

I predict 66,6% from the 3

3. TheJet

TheJet Member

I love the folks that cite the last 3 months, 38 games, half season, etc. to prove a point. Should we ignore the awful start? Yes, I know, he must have still been injured. 38 games is a decent sample size but it by no means guarantees he'll shoot that for an entire season. Up to this point he never has. Just watching his jumper this year I'd be shocked if he shoots 40%. Realistically I'm thinking around 35-37% which is still pretty darn good.

And all the talk about practice, repetition and what his shooting coach says is very subjective. His coach isn't going to bash him to the public. "Yea, he's getting better but still has consistency issues". And great shooters either have it or they don't. It's all about the tools you have to build from. There is always room for improvement and practice but you're not going to turn an Asik into a Duncan, etc.

I never thought spot up shooting or shooting from long range were his strengths. We need to maximize what he does well already and find a way to make it work with whatever roster we end up with.

4. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

WHY ONLY C+???!! I WANT A++++!!!!

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I remember Josh Selby hitting almost every shot he took last offseason during summer league. Haven't heard Selby's name since.

6. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

I am a Lin fan but I agree with this post. Two things I notice about Lin's shots. One, he seems to jump unnecessarily high even when he's taking open 3s. Other good jumpers seem to shoot almost simultaneously with their "small" lift-off. Second, even his misses seem inconsistent in that he misses short, long, left and right, etc.

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Dwight Howard is probably a 50 percent three point shooter in practice...

8. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

I agree 100% with your post.

I only bring up the last 38 games to point out improvement and a reason for optimism.

IF he can do what the Kidd's and Lowry's have done - continue to improve to where he's a decent threat from 3 point range, it will benefit him and the team tremendously.

As you pointed out, it makes sense that the injury may have still been a cause for the poor start. At least we can hope that was the case.

Do I expect him to be a 40% three point shooter - definitely not.

I can see about what you said (35-37%) or possible a point better, but not the 40% clip he shot at for nearly the last half of the season.

9. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

No one wants to waste their time trying to prove a point you would never concede anyways. If "at least" 10 people have accused you of ragging on Lin, I would say the burden of proof is on you. Where there's smoke there is fire. So why don't YOU go through the threads and show that you don't always rag on Lin. Sounds like a huge waste of time, no?

For what it's worth, I have seen you make non-Lin posts, but they are RARE. Just look at the GARM now. I go through most of the threads everyday and only see your name in the 2 Lin threads (I could easily be wrong). During the Finals Game 5 thread the only post you made was an indirect dig at Lin. When multiple posters called you on it, you denied you had an angle.

So be a man and own up to your own actions. A guy like Roxlove is a troll, but at least he doesn't deny it. Stop trolling Lin fans, or stop pretending you don't. Now you can call me a LOF.

Funny screen name by the way.

1 person likes this.
  10. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

danny green wishes he can shoot 78% from 3's

11. langal

langal Contributing Member

I saw Kurt Rambis raining 3's once at UCLA against the volleyball team. Not sure how much value we can put in 78%.

12. JamesHarden

JamesHarden Member

plus he's not on crutches this summer so he can actually improve and you know Lin's work ethics

13. Penetrate&Creat

lol'd

14. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I'm glad that he is working on it and getting better, but is that 78% number just coming from shooting around? I've read somewhere that on average, good three point shooters make at least 4 out of 5 threes just practicing.

Here is an example:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HpxP2nNtWFM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lin did show a lot of improvement and consistently got better from outside all season.

15. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

If Lin gets to 36% for the full year, defenders will have to respect his 3 pt shot which will open up his drives to the rim more.

If he gets to 38%, he'll have to be defended closely.

And if he gets to 40%, basically defenders have to stick to him even off the ball, which will open up the floor even more for the rest of the team.

Personally, I think he can get near or perhaps even at 38%, injury free.

There's only 14 PGs in the NBA at 38% or above in 2012-13, the list is
    - Calderon
    - Curry
    - Nash
    - Steve Blake
    - Fredette
    - C.J. Watson
    - Foye
    - Chalmers
    - Nate Robinson
    - Jarrett Jack
    - Irving
    - Brian Roberts
    - Mo Williams
    - Toney Douglas

Of this list ... Calderon, Nash, Blake, Fredette, Foye, Jack, Mo Williams and Toney Douglas don't have a great first step. Brian Roberts and C.J. Watson are role players. Chalmers doesn't create much.

If Lin gets to 38%, he'll be pretty unique in having one of the fastest first steps in the NBA, and be a very good 3pt shooter at the same time.

Next to Harden, kind of reminds me of when Ron Harper played next to Michael Joran. Harper was a slashing guard, very different to the Steve Kerr, Paxon, B J Armstrong type of 3pt shooters the Bulls surrounded Jordan and Pippen with, but he was still very effective. While not ideal ... I think Lin can perhaps do well in this kind of role also, if he shoots 36% and above on 3s and ideally closer to 38%.

1 person likes this.
  16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

TIL Novak is a good three point shooter

17. 95Rockets

95Rockets Member

IMO kin should seek out Ganon Baker. His PG skills will improve if he trained w/ Baker

18. wincan459

wincan459 Member

Well, you are doing it.

19. alethios

alethios Member

I personally don't want to see him taking that many three's but instead driving to the basket more and finishing with either a layup, floater, or dish and hopefully, an and-1, a la Tony Parker. Is that asking too much?

20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He'll probably won't even get a chance to play. Other teams are catching on... All you need to do is bruise him and he's done.

1 person likes this.