1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Dwight and CP3 hope to team up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lancerthompson, Jun 14, 2013.

1. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

His win share increased, his jump shot percentages increased, ft% increase,... Defensive side he allowed a lower fg% against.

He is playing almost an 1/8 less per game so of course his basic stats would be down ... Not relevant...

2. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Read it. Sure, his offensive game has had minor improvements. I say minor because one thing the article does not focus on is attempts. For example, his largest % increase was at 10-15 ft. It went from a whopping 27.7% to 41%! Sadly, that is based on fewer than ONE ATTEMPT per game haha.

Also, that article is outdated. Based on numbers on just the first 2 months. His actual numbers are now much lower, for example: 16-23 ft now only 34%, WORSE than the prior season's. 10-15 is no where near 54% either (41%), and so on and so forth. His defense maybe was even good the first 2 months, but dropped because again, his DRating in RAPM dropped from 1.9 to 1.2. Saying he improved significantly in the first 2 months...then got a lot worse later on in the season isn't very convincing lol.

3. megastahr

Compare Blake's advanced stats , basic stats with last years and then do the same with Howard the add injury issues.

Then add 4-5 million in salary

Who's the safer bet...just saying if you want to to talk about improvement vs regression in this scenario lol

4. pwnyxpress

The only basic stat I am focusing on is rebounds, which are down even when adjusted per 48 OR per 36. It is just down a lot. Last season was already down from his first yr playing as well, so it is a scary trend.

Again, those increases in offense are all pretty darn small, and I hope you aren't still relying on the article that is severely outdated.

5. pwnyxpress

Are we now changing the discussion? Because if we're talking about a straight up Dwight Howard for Blake Griffin trade, then I would prefer Griffin. But that was not what we have been talking about at any point today lol.

6. pwnyxpress

Setting aside all basic stats.

Pretty much every site we're looking at, whether it be hoopdata or basketball-reference, you'll see that Blake's eFG% went down, PER went down, total rebounds per 36 or 48 went down and so of course his total rebounds % went down as well, blocks went down (barely), turnover % went UP, DRating went down (and was down in his RAPM as well). ALL of this, even though he played fewer minutes PER GAME, came with him playing MORE minutes the whole season (2598 vs. 2392).

Now that doesn't mean he did not improve anywhere. His TS% went up ~1.5%, his steals and assists are both up, and his W/S per 48 is slightly up. I think that's it. Some areas on the court, midrange he is doing better (10-15 ft for example), and some areas worse (16-23 ft) than the prior season. Overall, not that big of a difference as his TS% only went up slightly, mostly due to a better FT% I imagine and improvements at the rim (though assisted a lot more).

Taken all together, I can barely say his offensive improvements outweigh his defensive regression, much less to conclude that he has "improved significantly" from the year before...

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ramona Shelburne:

Chris Paul's preference is to stay with the Clippers. They aren't worried about him leaving. 9:05ish

This deal is dead but nothing is dead until it comes back alive again. 10:28ish

I heard Aldridge might ultimately be available. Not right now but... 11:18ish

14:53 -- Dwight Howard?

I've been hearing he reeaally likes Houston. He'll give them serious consideration but ultimately, as we've talked about all the time, it's real different to flirt with someone than to marry them. 30 million is a lot different and I wouldn't count the Lakers out.

Atlanta, one of the teams who only with the Lakers "stood a chance to sign him" are apparently not even going to pursue him now, that according to Sam Amico.

And apparently, it's anyone's guess as to where he'll land. Again, that after only LA and Atlanta stood a chance. LOLOLOL

#867 J.R., Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

How does Sam Amico have a job? He contradicts himself constantly, and essentially just throws out complete garbage for page hits. He's a hack and clown.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

As far as Aldridge, I'd megajizz if we could get him now but that ship will sail.

As far as DH12, Ramona Shelburne (obviously a writer for LA) seems really hung up on the $30,000,000 5th year. Which Howard probably won't take anyway. He can sign with Houston for 3 years, 4th year player option, opt out and stay for another 5 years.

I can understand a privileged Lakers fan clinging to the idea a star won't leave them. If I have any worry about DH12 it's his personal need not to ruffle feathers, to be liked. He'll need guts and decisiveness to just walk from LA. Here's hoping he'll find both come July 1.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Reality is often contradictory.

11. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

It wil be hard for an immature Dwight to leave that lifestyle

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If we got Howard and Aldridge... damn, son. Unlikely, I know, but I'll take him as a 3rd option any day.

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Aldridge
    Dwight

Bench:

Beverly
    Glen Rice Jr (this is all a pipe dream, so whythe****not?)
    Asik
    Jones
    DMo
    Furkan A
    Generic wing players

Although, we'd probably have to abolish the salary cap for this to be possible. But still, would be nice.

13. megastahr

If we do get howard. Id prefer him or Love over CP3 and keep lin.

Shoot...we give them Asik, and either DMO or Jones which ever they prefer and as many draft picks as they require.

That almost sounds like a package they would do too.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Only if you're inconsistent in the first place.

15. Gay4Battier

Gay4Battier Member

omg stop with the fantasy trades

so dumb.

16. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Bro, you're gay for Battier. Just quit now.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Kobe says he spoke to Dwight a couple weeks ago to &quot;check in.&quot; But added, &quot;We'll touch base a lot more&quot;</p>&mdash; Dave McMenamin (@mcten) <a href="https://twitter.com/mcten/statuses/347439268572061696">June 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Kobe spoke to Dwight a couple weeks ago just to &quot;check in on him.&quot; He's sure he'll take visits and talk to other teams, players.</p>&mdash; Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/statuses/347439397395910656">June 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Why Kobe wants Dwight back. &quot;It's not like you have guys like Dwight Howard walking around every day... They don't grow on trees.&quot;</p>&mdash; Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/statuses/347439760421310465">June 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Kobe on Clippers-Celtics trade. &quot;That would have made them substantially better and substantially older at the same time.&quot;</p>&mdash; Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/statuses/347440277365092352">June 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>If Clippers-Celtics trade happened Kobe said, &quot;We would have been the fast breaking team in the city.&quot;</p>&mdash; Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/statuses/347440367924285441">June 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Kobe on the Chris Paul/Dwight Howard free agency option: &quot;I think at the end of the day, everybody stays&quot;</p>&mdash; Dave McMenamin (@mcten) <a href="https://twitter.com/mcten/statuses/347440681549197312">June 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Kobe on keeping Dwight on LAL: &quot;Those guys are hard to find, they don't grow on trees. You have to be able to keep them &amp; lock him in.&quot;</p>&mdash; Los Angeles Lakers (@Lakers) <a href="https://twitter.com/Lakers/statuses/347440747022254081">June 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Magic, Jordan, Bird, Russell and Kareem is Kobe's all-time starting five. <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNLA710">@ESPNLA710</a></p>&mdash; Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/statuses/347441142754861056">June 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Kobe is shooting for November or December at the latest for his return to the court.</p>&mdash; Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/statuses/347441913588236288">June 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Kobe isn't running yet but tells <a href="https://twitter.com/LAIreland">@LAIreland</a>: &quot;I'm fully mobile. I can get up and do the things I want to do.&quot;</p>&mdash; Los Angeles Lakers (@Lakers) <a href="https://twitter.com/Lakers/statuses/347442168715149312">June 19, 2013</a></blockquote>

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Good for Kobe! He can finally take an unassisted #2.

1 person likes this.
  19. megastahr

I wonder how much Kobes thoughts on this matter. He said everyone stays, but that Howard will check with other teams. Seems like that confirms what we have heard.

I think that shows that the rumors we have heard of harden and parsons talking and eating with Howard are legit. Probably mean that the rumors we heard of Howard telling those guys he is coming here are legit too.

20. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

How does Kobe's comments confirm that at all? There's literally no correlation.