1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Posey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LiTtLeY1521, Mar 22, 2003.

1. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

What do you think? Will the Rockets resign him or let him go?

James Posey is kind of inconsistent. But if he can improve somehow and become an even better defender and become even faster and learn his role on the team...he could be a very good role player. He could probably score 15 points per game just on fast breaks and an occasional three. I think if he improves his shooting, he could be a good role player...He just needs to play more under control and he needs to find his specialty and utilize it. I think we do need him. Only if he could be consistent...

If we don't sign him next season, get Lamar Odom!

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

They'll probably re-sign him, but they better not give him a big contract. They've already gotten burned with Cato and Moochie. Mo Taylor I'll overlook cuz his contract was likely a handshake deal for initially signing with the Rockets for so little.

3. Sane

Sane Member

I hope they don't. He's not worth more than 4M a season, and is not good enough to be our starting SF. Our SF needs to be a rpetty good 3-pt shooter.

Something to keep in mind when thinking of building a good team:

Other than the stars, all other players MUST be consistent in what they do. We need high percentage, 100% effort, solid, 78+ games a season, no complaining, poised players around our stars, Yao and Steve.

Players like George Lynch, Horace Grant, Bill Cartwright, Charles Oakley, Dennis Rodman, Ben Wallace, Matt Maloney, Eric Snow.. These guys fill a team like water fills any container you put it in. They just adjust to the stars, and do their thing night in, night out.

Posey is perfect for our bench. He brings a boost of energy, occasional scoring otubursts, with good fast break and putback points, as we as good defense. He's also versatile, a team player, and doesn't complain about PT.

4. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

If we can get him to be aggressive and go to the basket like he did against the Warriors, I think he is definitely worth it. When he is aggressive, it really opens up the floor for Yao and the rest of the guys to opporate. He must also become a much better shooter for the same reasons. On defense he has proven that he plays great off the ball defense and denies his man the ball extreemly well, but can't guard a lick when his man allready has the ball. This is probably something he won't really get much better at since it is mostly a quickness issue.

5. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

as long as there is a shooting 3 coming off the bench, ie. glen rice, then i'm totally ok with posey, he's great when he slashes, makes cuts to the basket, gets lots of layups and dunks, of course we could do better than his shooting(how couldn't we, he has more airballs than a JV team this year), but combine his fast-breaking attitude with his usually steady D(oft times spectacular-see last nights 2nd half) and he's the perfect 3 for us, he would make the team change its attitude some, no more spot up 3s that just jack long range shots all day, instead a cutting/slashing 3 that could energize the team, the big but is that he doesn't deserve big money, just good money, so if it takes 5-6 mil to sign him, i'm definitely not for it.

6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Posey can work on his jumper in the offseason and improve. If possible I'd sign him to a short term contract and look for any signs of an improved perimeter game. I'd try and get him to bulk up as well if possible. There are only a couple things that make me cringe when I see Posey, and that's the fact that he doesn't have much muscle on his body, and gets pushed around easily by some of the bigger, stronger SF and SG's, and the fact that I close my eyes and hope Posey atleast hits rim when he shoots a three. He's shown how dangerous a player he can be when he's making his three pointers, and how much that opens the Rockets half court offense when he does make them. He may never have a Peja, or Rice shooting touch, but atleast if he shoots in the mid to high 40% which would be a dream come true for even some of the elite shooters, he'd be terrific for this ball club. Get him to make those 15-23 footers and he'll be perfect not only for this ballclub for any ballclub.

7. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

lol...if he actually could make his shots, then other teams wouldn't be allowed to leave him wide open and double team Yao or Mo Taylor or Steve or Mobley. This would help our whole team. So if Francis was going crazy...they would have to double team him. But if they double team Francis...then they would just move the ball around and Posey or Mobley or Griffin or YAO could make the 3 or open shot. Same with Yao and Mo Taylor and Mobley. It spreads the floor out and gives our players more space to operate. :) That's why he better improve his shooting. Same with Eddie. If they can consistently shoot and be good role players, our team would be pretty unstoppable. But I wouldn't resign James Posey if he wants more than $4 millon.

8. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Posey is what is wrong with our offense. Sure, every 5 games he looks good (usually against the likes of the bulls or warriors), and he can make a spectacular dunk occasionally. However, when he's not hittin his shot (most of the time) he completely bogs down our offense. Teams double Yao without consequence. Yao passes to the only open man, Posey, who refuses to shoot. He pumpfakes, and forces himself into the lane, where he usually turns it over. this leads to easy fast break points for the other team. Defensively, he's great at taking the charge, but he gambles too much, going for steals and getting his big men into foul trouble. All that being said, Posey would be perfect for us if he would just work all summer on his shooting. If only we could combine Posey and Rice into one player, then we would have the perfect small forward for this team.

9. ivan_zhang

ivan_zhang Member

Totally agree. JP should improve his open shot.

10. sun12

sun12 Member

During the off-season, Posey knows his first priority is to shoot the mid-range jumper 500 times, 3-pointer 500 times.