1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The punch bites Ralph Sampson in the ass 26 year old later?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

On June 5, 1986, Ralph Sampson ignited a brawl between the Houston Rockets and the Boston Celtics by punching 6'1'' guard Jerry Sichting. He was vilified by Boston players and fans.

Video here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xt...n-fight-1986-finals-game-5_sport#.Ub__k_nBOgs

Clutch's account here: http://rockets.clutchfans.net/1626/ralph-sampson-punches-jerry-sichting/

Vilification photo posted by Clutch:

[​IMG]

At the time, Will McDonough, 50, was a native Bostonian and a 26-year veteran sports writer of Boston Globe. He had several sons, including then 6-year-old Ryan. I'm pretty sure which side the McDonough family takes on that event.

[​IMG]

In 2003, Will McDonough passed away at age 67. Also in 2003, Danny Ainge, Boston's starting SG in that 1986 game, was hired to be the general manager of the Celtics. The Celtics also made a much less publicized front office hire: 23-year-old Ryan McDonough as a special assistant for basketball operations.

[​IMG]

10 years later, Danny Ainge is still the GM and 33-year-old Ryan McDonough had risen through the ranks to become the Celtics' assistant GM. In the summer of 2013, Ryan McDonough finally left the Celtics to become the general manager of the Phoenix Suns.

On the Suns' player development coaching staff at the time of McDonough's hire was one Ralph Sampson, age 52, who joined the team in October 2012.

[​IMG]

Ryan McDonough hired former Suns star Jeff Hornacek to become the franchise's new head coach. The Suns also made other coaching moves, including 1) the hiring of Jerry Sichting, age 56, to be Hornacek's lead assistant and 2) the firing of Ralph Sampson.

Is this just coincidence? Or is it revenge?

#1 Carl Herrera, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Herrera in da house!

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

This story is like

[​IMG]

4. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

wwwwoooooaaaaahhhhhh

5. OTMax

OTMax Member

Aren't we looking for an assistant coach? Let's get him back to where he belongs.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Ralph had awesome hands, two pieced Sichting then cold-cocked Johnson before someone wrestled Ralph to the ground.

My hero.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Excellent thread Carl.

No, I don't think it is coincidence. I am sure that a majority of it is that the new GM brought with him people that he is comfortable with. However, I am sure that Sampson did not have the best reputation in his eyes.

8. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Would be nice, but likely McHale feels the same way since he was there. McHale plays it like nothing bothers him, but I bet deep down he never forgets...nor forgives.

9. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Ralph should file a wrongful termination lawsuit and bring in the video as evidence of why he was terminated just so he can force McDonough and Sichting to watch it over and over again.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Wish he'd punched Ainge. And I mean, punched him.

11. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Ralph is in the Hall of Fame. Ainge and Sichting can buy tickets if they want to visit.

1 person likes this.
  12. double d

double d Contributing Member

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

All I see is a sportswriter's kid getting an awesome job out of college.

14. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

You know that saying,"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."

Well, McDoughnuts is acting like a little girl taking his revenge on my boy Sampson.

What a douchebag.

15. clutz

clutz Member

I like the final bullet point in the Clutchfans piece:

"I count no less than 6 players in this series that could completely solve the pivot problems of the 2011 Rockets — McHale, Robert Parish, Bill Walton, Olajuwon, Sampson and Jim Petersen. Yes, Jim Petersen. Hell, even Granville Waiters would give Jordan Hill a run for his money. I mean, back then, the Rockets had so much size they were converting franchise centers to power forward." [emphasis added]

16. imaginedragons

this!

plus animosities harbored for so long only serve to add unnecessary burdens to the people carrying them. people always make mistakes, and to not forgive them and hang on to those mistakes really does make the world uglier and pass on antagonisms thru generations.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Sadly, this was my biggest takeaway as well, haha.