1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao, the real big Aristotle?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jamalccc, Mar 22, 2003.

1. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

I don't see a whiner like Shaq behaving like the philosopher Aristotle. Yao should replace him for that nickname. I find Yao gets abused (in term of physical and rule violation) by the other defending center all the time. Look at the cc.net frontpage, then you'll see a blatant handchecking there. He never complains, NEVER. I am not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing. That's great sportsmanship, and he can earn people's respect (including ref's) in that way. However, sometimes the opponents' player and even the refs can abuse his demeanor and just openly abuse him. Your thoughts?

2. Trickdaddy1319

Why the hell does Shaq want to be called the Aristotle? You have to have some intellect and class to even be compared to a philosopher, much less Aristotle.

3. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

That's why he I said he shouldn't be called the Aristotle.

4. ivan_zhang

ivan_zhang Member

Because Oneal donnt know who is Aristotle.
    So he insult the name.

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I always thought it was a joke since nobody really calls him that. Actually, looking it up, he gave himself that name after he won the 99-00 regular season mvp. He called himself the Big Aristotle after he quoted him: "Excellence is not a singular act; it's a habit." So he does know who Aristotle is, too bad he doesn't apply that quote to his life anymore. Remember, he came up with tons of those "the big____" nicknames during the 2000 playoffs. He picked out a different one for each game. Here's something from cnnsi.com:

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think Shaq is one entertaining motha. If I could be buds with any NBA star, Shaq would be the man. He doesn't take himself too seriously just because he makes alot of money. He is also nice as hell.

7. playahata

playahata Member

I thought Shaq gave himself that name when he got his degree from LSU.

8. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

SHAQ is the man.
    Please watch him play.
    Yesterday. He owned two centers.
    He scored 48 points. He should have scored like 57 points.
    He just missed too many free throws.
    He dominates.
    He is still the best center in the NBA.

Yao needs a nickname...but I like his name already. Yao sounds fine. He's never going to be the Diesel. Yao needs to get stronger....