1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Amico: Rockets have a "keen eye" on Danny Granger

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 4, 2013.

1. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

why on earth is no one on this forum talking about Al Jefferson? I would take Big Al over Josh Smith, Millsap, Gasol, Garnett, and maybe even CP3.

2. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

I've stated the Al Jefferson case rather extensively. I'm one of the biggest supporters for him, but he is a ZERO on defense. This team has no issues scoring the ball, adding Big Al would give us a few more points, but also have us giving up more as well. His D combined with our backcourt giving up lanes like a runaway train, would not benefit us, and his rebounding would diminish next to Asik. Two-way players > developing talent > one way players asking for lots of money

3. ejarts

ejarts Member

Moreys gonna try to lowball for him. Low risk high reward guy. Having him will secure our sixthman, scoring from bench plus decent defender that can guard guys like Leflop and Durant. Him and Parsons will make a tough defense+ rebounds up.

4. ejarts

ejarts Member

If not Dwight, Garnett should be okay playing for McHale. Even for a year, til we wait for 2014 free agency. Something we actually need, a defensive PF floor spacer. Garnett would be awesome with Rockets. Hell, bring Paul Pierce with him for one year deals.
    OR, him and Dwight. Get rid of some assets.

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Garnett
    Howard

Bench:
    Beverly
    Pierce
    Delfino or Garcia
    TJones
    Jermaine Oneal

=
    Western Finals

5. arjun

arjun Member

Gasol >>>>>>>>>> al jefferson.

6. aznboi

aznboi Contributing Member

He is way to ball dominant to be on this team.

7. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Whoever said they'd consider taking Al Jeff over CP3, please dude.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If the Rockets can add DH12 to the roster, I could very well see them interested in Granger. He, along with Parsons can play as a "stretch 4" on a DH12 centered team. And the fact that Granger is an expiring contract allows the Rockets to roll over that salary cap room for another big move.

Morey has done this time and again with regards to cap flexibility.

9. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Right, but what would we be giving the Pacers for Granger? I could see them wanting to keep him around to make a run at the ECF again next season. He was out pretty much the whole yr and the Pacers got that far. They don't need/want Asik. I doubt Lin really gets them excited, and if we did that, we would have Asik literally as an $8.3M backup C...

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Lin plus Motiejunas plus a 1st round pick? It's not like Indy can really expect a huge haul for a guy who missed nearly all of last year and is becoming a free agent in a year.

11. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

Any team that features James Harden and Al Jefferson in the starting lineup will be pretty terrible defensively.

12. pwnyxpress

Right, even if that was to address my comment that I don't think Lin gets them excited (reading some articles saying they aren't even keen on a trade of Granger for a deal featuring Bledsoe), you're not explaining how that really leaves us in a great position.

We're stuck w/ a potentially broken player who you yourself said missed nearly all of last yr. We'd lose a PG and young PF prospect just so we can constantly play small ball only and relegate Asik to a constant bench role?? At least Dwight/Asik means they can spend some notable minutes together (maybe), but w/ Granger AND Parsons AND Asik AND Dwight...eh. It just doesn't smart move to me.

Finally, you're assuming they would prefer anything over nothing. This is a problem people are having w/ LAL as well, thinking they definitely would prefer something in a SnT than to let Dwight walk. Not necessarily true at all, esp. under this new cba. We saw it w/ ATL at the trade deadline just this past season (and how quite it was in general then). I am not saying SnTs and these moves WON'T happen; I'm just saying don't assume something new is better than the status quo. I can easily see Pacers' GM going, unless we see a deal we REALLY like, I would rather us give it another go WITH Granger this time, already making our ECF team that much better...and then have $13M come off the books in the summer, whether it works out or not. I'd personally take that over Lin/Motie.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Addition by subtraction. The Rockets will be in on the LeBron sweepstakes. Lin will be impossible to move next year.

14. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I wouldn't call him ball dominant, at least not in the way players like Chris Paul, James Harden, Kevin Durant, LeBron James, etc. are.

15. pwnyxpress

Sure, we'd be one fewer move away from being in the LBJ sweepstakes. If Asik and Dwight don't work well together, Morey could even move Asik at the trade deadline for a decent PF that is an expiring, bringing us one step closer. I guess that is worth something. But we'd only clear $16.6M this way. Next yr's cap goes up a bit, but will mostly be swallowed up by Dwight's and Harden's salary increases. If White was waived and not moved this yr, he'd eat up some cap room too. We could not pick up TJones and DMo, bringing us to $19M, so I guess we'd be in the running then.

LBJ would have to take yet another paycut, but could come play w/ Harden + Parsons + Dwight. I mean, that'd be all our cap money haha, but surrounding that team w/ role players/vets through Morey's prowess should be a walk in the park.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>From what I hear ... yes, yes and double yes. RT <a href="https://twitter.com/LEXthePEX">@LEXthePEX</a>: Rockets will pursue Granger and Josh Smith besides Howard?</p>&mdash; Sam Amico (@SamAmicoFSO) <a href="https://twitter.com/SamAmicoFSO/statuses/346483631457460224">June 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Ehhh......

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Not sure why you would add Granger unless to play him at the 4. Adding Smith as well doesn't make much sense.

19. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Probably pursuing both, but would only actually get one of them. If only Granger, I think Parsons would be playing the 4.

If we end up getting Howard, Granger, and Smith, but lose Parsons, I'll gnash my teeth, but In Morey I Trust.

20. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Sam Amico isn't known as a reliable source of inside info.