1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Dwight and CP3 hope to team up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lancerthompson, Jun 14, 2013.

1. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

We need CyberX or someone else with proven inside sources to comment on this or I'm going to lose my mind..........

I wish we could just fast forward to July 10th already

2. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Ok some capologist double check me.

Rockets can sign CP3 outright without doing anything...maybe have to stretch royce contract over 3 years.

Right?

We talk to the lakers, and say we want Howard. We are going to sign howard, and we are going to sign Chris Paul. Only one of you are going to get assets, and its the first one to agree to a SNT. Offer them Asik, Lin, Robinson and draft picks for howard.

We already signed CP3 outright with our cap space...seeing as he has a lower max contract.

Cp3/Bev
    Harden/
    Parsons
    Dmo/Tjones
    Howard

3. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

but who says they need to facilitate a trade with the LAL to get dwight? why can't the clips just move several pieces via trades and amnesty to free up the money to sign dwight outright? if doc rivers is in serious contention for the clips job there's no doubt in my mind dwight would give heavy consideration to them.

this news is more concerning than not IMO.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Teams that do not have to rely on a sign and trade scenario definitely has a leg up on this situation.

5. JurisDoctorate

Hey, not saying it'd be easy, but its the Lakers... they always seem to pull some sort of shenanigans (CP3 before Stern revoked and getting Howard last year stung me a bit).

But it was just a shot in the dark. In reality, if they want to stay in LA it'd probably be Griffin+Bledsoe for D12.

6. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Neither L.A. Team will S&T. Clips owner is Sterling, he's as much a money w**** as the Maloofs are. The Lakers want to shed salary, not gain salary, they won't take anyone to facilitate Dwight.

Lin would only have a few takers, because most teams are fine at PG, and he is owed more than his cap, but I'm sure someone would take him (the rockets can package 3 1sts once the draft is over).

Asik would net us picks, his value will never be higher, but I'd serious question both Dwight and Paul to take a 3-4m pay cut to keep him. Asik is really good and will get better, anyone who doubts this is clueless.

T-Rob will easily be traded, and whatever he is traded for could be sent along with cash to someone else who would take on the expiring deal that is Royce White.

I'm sure Jones or Motiejunas (jones more likely) could be moved easily, and all options aside from Smith, Parsons, Beverley would get waived.

That would leave us with about 27-28 in cap room including cap holds. But I would try to sell them on keeping Asik and starting their pay at 14 million (exactly what Miami did, LBJ and CB took 14 with Dwayne 13). That team would vault to number 1 in the West, cryptonite to OKC and Miami, along with having a solid bench + 2 2nd round picks, which I think 1 will be a gem.

7. amaru

amaru Member

If the rumor is true, then Atlanta makes the most sense.

8. dje243

dje243 Member

It seems like the only way it happens is if Dwight goes to LAC... which LA will never help them with. Ultimately I still think Dwight(alone) to HOU is the most likely scenario.

9. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

thanks for the insight Mr. Buss.

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Love this scenario I believe the heat did this to keep Haslem and sign Mike Miller correct? Keeping Asik and then signing a Garcia or Matt Barnes type wing would be ideal. Howard supposedly said he wanted to play with Asik so maybe that could sway them.

Paul
    Harden
    Parsons
    Howard
    Asik

Best starting 5 in the league no question.

11. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Oh, u think the new Mr. Buss wants to pay quadruple tax for Jeremy Lin, Oner Asik and Thomas Robinson? Get real. They could take Griffon and Bledsoe, and be a 30 win team paying 80 million in tax as well...

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Atlanta makes zero sense to me. They'd compete directly with Miami and they have never built a roster capable of contending for a title (Dwight and CP would be idiots to think they don't need good role players around them - they see that Miami isn't exactly breezing through the playoffs and they even have some decent role players).

I think this is just CP3 trying to get Dwight to the Clippers like others have said, but if they do leave LA together it's going to be with us.

13. lancerthompson

lancerthompson Contributing Member

Only from a numbers standpoint. Them teaming up would be because they want to win. Howard has already been burned once going to a team that he thought would be a championship contender. He'd be foolish to think that Atlanta would be a better fit for a championship than Houston. If they want to win, they'll plead to come to Houston and ask their respective teams to try and make it work. Suitors for Asik and Lin would not be all that difficult to find. Especially if you're just asking for a pick in return.

14. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Then the Lakers and Clippers GM's call each other and agree that neither will cave. They call the Rocket's bluff, since they know the Rockets can't sign both without a sign and trade.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That might be collusion.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Feigen and Pops are two off the top of my head.

17. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

Al Horford all star 17 and 10 last year, Lou Williams 14 ppg last season before he got hurt, John Jenkins first round pick last year and is a great shooter(which is huge with Horford/Howard duo) 17th pick(nbadraft.net has Shabazz Muhammad), 18th pick and two first round picks. Kyle Korver also said he'd take a paycut to stay with the Hawks.

18. GIGO

GIGO Member

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think that is an oversimplification.

Howard/CP3 and roster holds are 43.7m, so only teams with less than 14.8m in committed salary can outright sign those two to max deals and no such team exists.

Even in that extreme scenario, 3 guys, no matter how good they are, cannot compete for a title. Filling up a roster with rookies and minimum guys will wear out two already injury prone guys. Even Lebron, an ironman, is complaining of fatigue and he actually has some decent vets around him.

I think Atlanta's pitch is great, "hey come and play with CP3 and Horford". But the reality is the that requires him to take less money and have a team full of nobodies, or take even less money so they actually have role players.

20. The Stig

The Stig Member

Trade Asik maybe White and our second round pick for the Charlotte or Orlando's first round pick for this year's draft.

Trade that pick plus whatever other picks for a S&T for Dwight.
    Trade Lin to Detroit for protected picks to shed more salary and sign Paul outright?

Thank God Morey is our GM, I'm struggling to come up with ways to entice all teams. Morey already stated that this is going to be a difficult task but if anyone can do it, its gonna be him.