1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Dwight and CP3 hope to team up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lancerthompson, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

What?? Without Lin and Asik, we would not have been a playoff team this season, and Dwight would not even be considering us as a destination. Also, Asik might just have one of the most attractive contracts out there for a big man with his production level, and could potentially be the biggest reason why we can actually even swing a sign-and-trade.

And despite all the long-term memory loss a lot of posters have about Lin, he actually had a fairly productive season, and was a huge reason why the Rockets were able to turn the corner after the All-Star Break. His shooting was VASTLY improved in the second half of the season. This doesn't even make mention of the amount of marketing he brings along with him.

3. OTMax

OTMax Member

LOL, this is getting out of hand. Is now every star trying to find another one to join a third one?? In a few years we are going to have the following 'star players' on one team all due to careful planning:
    - Irving, Lebron, Hibbert - Cleveland
    - Lilliard, Love & Paul George - LA
    - Harden, Aldridge, Marc Gasol - Houston
    - Paul, Howard & Smith - Atlanta
    - Rondo, Blake Griffin & Iggy - Clippers
    - Holiday, Carmelo, Anthony Davis - NY
    - Westbrook, Durant, Bosh & Tyson Chandler - OKC

4. Classic

Classic Member

Is Harden the X-factor here? Could Harden be the the Dwade recruiter for a Rockets big 3?

If they do wanna team up, I see them both playing somehow in LA. If Lakers amnestied Bryant, could LA sign CP3 and then resign Howard?

5. basketballholic

I'll be shocked if we open up cap space on draft night by trading Trob, etc. Too many wheels turning. Morey has to keep all his options open for every possible move.

What you have to understand about superstars and unrestricted free agency is they are simply HUGE cogs in the trade gears of the NBA. With the uncertainty regarding Dwight and Paul and now with these rumors swirling about both of them teaming up somewhere.......it's going to bring to a screeching halt a lot of moves teams would have possibly made on draft night.....and most assuredly it will bring a halt to us making any substantial moves besides spending cash and buying non-guaranteed contracts and possibly trading out guys like Brooks and Delfino or some of our small non-guaranteeds like Ohlbrecht and Anderson for non-guaranteed contracts and/or cap space, etc.

I will be SHOCKED if anything more than that goes down from the Rockets point of view on draft day. Morey is going to keep the door open to possibly getting both guys if they really want to play together.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

No. Not even close.

7. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Honestly, the way things are going, might as well start contracting the league.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Even if they amnesty Kobe they are still over the cap. Can't sign CP3

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If they wind up in Dallas, I might end my life.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Get to work Daryl!

Ha, way easier said than done.

11. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

If CP3> Harden, I wonder if Morey is willing to trade Harden for CP3 and D12.

12. lancerthompson

lancerthompson Contributing Member

If the Rockets had never signed Asik and Lin, but still had traded for Harden then Houston would be no more attractive than Cleveland as a destination for free agents this summer. Each team would have a young star, plenty of cap room, but not much else.

13. stupidog

stupidog Member

14. Classic

Classic Member

Whew. Good.

Harden, make this happen!

15. dje243

dje243 Member

Basically the sign and trade would have to be done for Dwight not CP3. I actually think the Lakers would take Lin and Asik if they knew they were losing Dwight.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

There is a giant wild-card flipped into the middle of this, I believe, and that is the very existent possibility that Doc Rivers moves to LAC (taking Pierce and KG with him; Jordan/Bledsoe/1st/2nd heading back to BeanTown?).

If Doc does go then how does CP3 react to that reset? My guess is Paul commits to the revamped Clips.

If Paul would not commit to Doc (through whatever channels they need to traverse to stay kosher) then I don't see Doc in ClipperVille.

Besides Atlanta, where might the two land? (I really could see scenaria whereby Rox could trade both for #1s in this poor draft and EuroStash freeing up within 'a mere $5mil to get it done. A mere five million...)

17. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I know ATL is hyped up to be the prime location for the duo, but...I just can't see it.

Why would you, knowingly, go to a team that is in the same conference and division as the team that everyone is trying to beat? If you're the 4th seed, you're done in the semi-finals. 2nd or 3rd? Done in the conference finals.

At least in the West, you can become Conference Champs before butting heads with Miami.

I just don't see it. Thats why I think CP3 stays in LAC and Howard leaves to Houston.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Three teams that have been discussed by Paul and Howard are the Hawks, Rockets and Mavs, via source.</p>&mdash; Brett Poirier NBA (@BrettNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/BrettNBA/statuses/345562347978493952">June 14, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

CP3 is the best PG in the league and Dwight is the best C...you really think they'd be scared to go to the East because of the heat? I am sure they'd think they could challenge them. Horford/Howard duo would give the heat problems.

20. mario_v

mario_v Member

If this rumor was true, then we would have heard something from Adrian Woj. I dont trust Broussard or his "sources". He's never right about anything and when he is, he's usually "breaks" news several hours after real insiders (Woj) break the story.

I'll believe it when Woj reports it.