1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anyone here play/have tried to play EVE online?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RedRedemption, Jun 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

21 day free trial.
    Summer vacation.
    Why not?

Looks complicated.

2. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I have not have/played

4. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

I'm considering to try, but the subscription....

5. kona-

kona- Member

Great game and community. It takes a long time to learn the game. And at times will feel slow and boring. Next thing you know your being chased by pirates or in a 200 vs 200 war.

When your ship is blown up, you lost it. Must repurchase all the fittings and the ship itself. So there is true loss in the game.

The community is the best part. You can easily find a new player corp and they will help you out alot.

Look to join EVE University corp.

Have fun :)

6. RedRedemption

21 day free trial. :D
    I have nothing better to do.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I played a few years ago. It was fun for the few months I played it, for the most part. It's not like other MMO's in that its economic models are fairly realistic and there's always a kind of "seriousness" about the gameplay. This is one of the reasons I stopped playing. Back then, in order to succeed, you basically had to be part of a corporation - solo'ing wasn't too viable. I don't have time to dedicate to "2nd job" which is basically what it would've turned into with corporations running their raids (or whatever they were called - I forget) or ops at specific times and whatnot. I wanted to take advantage of the economic aspects of the game by becoming a miner/trader and using arbitrage to amass wealth, but despite the fact that you were supposedly "safe" in some areas, you still had to watch your back when solo'ing. Back then, the game was all about PVP - if you don't like PVP, you probably won't like this game, and if you don't like group PVP, you probably won't like the game.

The complexity of the economics was always the fun aspect for me. People would have some detailed spreadsheets to calculate where and how the best money was to be made - what ores to mine, should I convert them to something else, what sector is the best to mine in and where is it best to sell for maximum profit with the smallest risk of being ganked while transporting your cargo, etc. But I soon found out, it's impossible to play solo in the game and act as a "neutral 3rd party" only interested in the trading/economic aspects of the game. lol. I mined and mined until I got my Hulk and then stopped playing.

One way to look at it is if you take into consideration the economics, the PVP, and the cut-throat nature of even your "allies" (whom you can't always trust), this game is like the Wild West. Or as a co-worker put it, if this game is a college degree, games like World of Warcraft and Guild Wars are your elementary graduation. But like I said, I played a few years ago, so I don't know how the game plays now. Try it. I had a blast until %*($ got real in the game. :grin:

8. RedRedemption

I suck at this game. :grin: This game is more complex than X3.

9. TheTruth

TheTruth Contributing Member

I played for 5 years if that says anything about how great the game is. Stopped 2 years ago when I had my first kid and tried to come back a few times but it just takes up too much time to get the full enjoyment of it.

What everyone else said is pretty much true, the best times I had was when I was with a small pirate group that all we did was just camp out and pirate other players in a highly traveled route through 0.0 (unsecured space).

For a new player I suggest finding a specific path (manuf, trade, PVP, etc.) or ship/race type and just focus on that and you can become pretty good in a decent amount of time so your skills aren't all spread out. (It's time based skill training whether you are logged in or not).

Also want to add in that EVE University is a good group to start learning with and then move on to Red vs. Blue and then go wherever you want from there.