1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My dream for Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

We all know why they are hating.

2. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Well, keep your hopes up. With Super Bowl coming in 2017, I'm sure all of the Uptown lines to the Galleria will be finished by then.

3. TMac'n

Like most Houstonians, I've never had any business on the Eastside except when I drive past to Louisiana. A rail system going there isn't going to make it any better or give much ppl reason to go

4. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

No they won't. It is taking years to complete the current expansion and Uptown is fighting way harder than the East end and North side.

5. da1

da1 Member

So to recap "We're houston and stubborn and hard headed to the core!"

6. da1

da1 Member

The uptown will be done, but as a bus. Uptown TIRZ is doing it it on its own.

7. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Well aware of that.

The area is still going to need a rail though.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

just look at the disaster in Dallas when they live by the mantra "build it and they will come". They haven't.

9. TMac'n

I saw the bus thing too. What a pathetic excuse

10. NateNate

NateNate Member

Rail along Westheimer would be wonderful, it would make sense as well, seeing how far it stretches

11. TISNF

TISNF Member

Okay, I'll play your game. So only one example (Dallas) as a "failure" in your eyes is enough evidence that there should be no effort whatsoever in Houston.

Right. So why bother, right? Everyone should just have a car, right?

What's your long-term vision? Seriously. I want to know.

Fact is, if you live in Houston you need a vehicle to get around because...mass transit is pathetic. If it was efficient, I bet you many folks would prefer not having to deal with having to drive around in traffic and find parking. But there's not an alternative.

So I just don't see why you're so anti-progress with regards to improving and increasing options for mass transit in Houston. It's going to happen eventually, whether you personally want it or not, so why not make it easier for future generations? Why push the "drag-our-feet" agenda which would only frustrates future generations of Houstonians for decades to come?

I'll simplify it for you: the more options there are, the better it is for the consumer (resident).

Why is this so damn hard?

1 person likes this.
  12. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Great dream, my little dreamer. It is, sincerely, ideal.

Now walk on down to HoustonMETRO headquarters with a dossier and some zeal, and come back here and tell us how receptive they were to your idea. Your great idea.

13. bigtexxx

In order to convince somebody that Houston needs rail, one must present fact and logic. You have not done that.

With an unlimited pot of money, we'd have rail, maglev, gondolas and magic carpets whisking people all over the metro area. However, we don't live in that world. Houston as a city grew up in the car era, unlike the cities in Europe and the Northeast US. Adding to that point, people work in distributed pockets all over the city -- downtown, med center, galleria, westchase, energy corridor, etc. It's wastefully irresponsible to try the "me too strategy" of overlaying rail on top of our spread out city.

We need to find innovative strategies that work for Houston, not the simplistic "me too! strategy" of copying others. Bus rapid transit makes a lot more sense to me than rail does for Houston.

1 person likes this.
  14. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

It isn't just "me too." Rail is a proven model that, once comprehensive, works. It has succeeded everywhere it has been tried. Even in Dallas, rail has been gaining ridership and the lines are expanding.

If you want to be a growing and thriving metropolitan area, that brings more people. When you have population growth, moving people from point A to point B becomes an issue. We are very quickly reaching a point where continued widening of freeways will be infeasible and will be subject to the law of diminishing returns.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

LOL. Y'all act like the east side is nothing but uninhabited land. People do live there. A lot of them. And they go to work, school, sporting events, and everywhere else, just like you and I. Yet, people think they don't deserve to be part of a rail system? Why not?

16. bigtexxx

You're a lawyer, right? Your ability to build an argument based on fact and logic is beyond pitiful. Sorry.

Rail has succeeded everywhere it's been tried? By what metric? You claim Dallas is a success purely due to expansion of lines and your unsubstantiated claim that ridership has increased? Then you imply that rail is the only way to move people from point A to point B? Good grief, man, that's just a weak argument.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Probably because some people seem to think they're not important enough to be considered part of the city.

#57 RV6, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Well, if you look at APTA ridership statistics you'll see that Dallas's ridership has increased.

But regardless, I don't think anyone is arguing that Houston needs rail. It would just be a huge improvement in our city if we had a good rail system to go along with a good bus system.

Why exactly do you think BRT would be better than rail? BRT works great, but in certain corridors, nothing I have seen from BRT makes me think it would outperform rail.

19. Beavis Stiffler

Houston's Dream is winning championships :cool: :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Kinda tough to win the Stanley Cup when you don't have an NHL team. You even lost the minor league team lol.