1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hinkie trying to hire Chris Finch?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, May 20, 2013.

?

Is it unethical for Hinkie to try and hire away our assistants?

1. It's fine

57.1%
  2. It's a Bush League move

42.9%
  1. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

He's along way from coaching in this league I will be absolutely shocked if he becomes a HC in philly

2. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

fixed.

3. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

My question to all of you butt-hurt over Chris Finch potentially leaving - are you actually aware of his duties as assistant coach? If you can elucidate what he does and why it's an irreplaceable feature of our team's coaching staff, then kudos to you (although you're probably talking out of your ass). Otherwise, why complain about something you know NOTHING about? :confused:

4. kastuul

kastuul Member

If Kevin Sampson or Chris Finch leave, can we hire Ewing to replace?

5. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

WTF are you on? you clearly don't know what you are talking about... :confused:

6. JerryH

JerryH Member

Finch did OK in poor leagues, he is not rated highly in Europe and did not succeed with the British team either. There are many better coaches out there, but if the Rockets or another team like him and want to give him the opportunity, that´s fine. The guy may prove himself in the NBA. As far as who runs practices etc,. we don´t know that. Let´s respect McHale and his work.

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

What I know is that Morey and McHale find him intelligent and valuable. Therefore, since I respect Morey and McHale's opinion, I assume he is intelligent and valuable. The fact that I can't tell you why he is valuable and intelligent or why Morey and McHale find him valuable and intelligent is not relevant.

8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

He won't get the job, he has a long way to go to be a coach. But there is a reason why Hinkie interviewed this guy. There's something him and Morey see in Chris Finch that we don't see. That's why Hinkie called him early.

9. basketballholic

I'm hoping Hinkie has a clause in his contract that requires permission from the Rockets for Philly to interview and hire him. If they really want him that bad, then I'm hoping we can flip a trade with them. Something like TRob, RWhite, and Hinkie for #11 (Cody Zeller).

10. Al22ex

Al22ex Member

I was Coach Finch's Director of Basketball Ops in RGV when we won championship in 2010. Gersson, Daryl, and Sam Hinkie were at our practices all the time. I think I know what I am talking about.

11. basketballholic

Alex,

Has Finch actually interviewed for the Philly job?

Wasn't he hired like Budenholzer, as head coach in waiting?

Does his contract require permission from the Rockets to interview elsewhere?

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The problem is that Kevin may not be ready to step down as head coach. as well as he has coached the Rockets he is not going to get fired any time soon.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I see this as a realistic outcome if Dwight shows up. Dude's a diva and a child wanting to wear the big boy pants but complains when no one is there to prop it up.

He wants to be taught but doesn't want to look bad by someone who doesn't have the stripes to be his equal.

Finch's genius will only take him as far as what the media expects. If we suddenly make WCF one year, then we have to do better the next. I don't see the leeway afforded to him unlike some other coach with HOF creds even if that coach is pedestrian at the X&Os.

14. MrJason

MrJason Member

When McHale first hired his assistance, he already stated that they are more like "coordinators" in the NFL. Finch was in charge of the offense and Sampson was in charge of the defense. He even said whatever happens on those ends will be recognized by those assistant coaches.

Good offense + small ball = Finch

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Adelman wasn't fired, his contract wasn't renewed just like the Clippers did with Del Negro this year.

16. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

http://lancasteronline.com/article/...-off-on-analytics--Hinkie-and-the-Sixers.html

#96 jsmee2000, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
  17. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Interesting the 'insider' Hinkie directly bypasses Sampson the lead assistant and went straight to a guy with DLeague, international ball coaching and two years as NBA assistant for the head coach role

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

GM's don't always get their way. hinkie may want finch but he may very well be overruled by president of basketball ops, or the owner. i don't think the owner will like the idea of selling fans on finch.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Riley? The guy who convinced the Lakes to make him their video guy @1980? The guy who was Chick Hearn's color man? The guy who left the booth and video guy stuff and became the replacement for the Magic-led disposal of Westhead? That guy Riley?