1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013 NBA Draft Lottery thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 21, 2013.

1. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

while they can?

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

oops, quoted the wrong post :eek:

3. what

what Member

To me, the cavs best fit would be Victor Oladipo. They don't need waiters, they need a perimeter defender.

Or, I would go with Cody Zeller. Never, ever waste a #1 draft pick on a shot blocker. That's insane.

I'm not big on noel either, he looks too much like serge ibaka. If you ask me, an ibka type player ain't any better than Nick Collison or Kendrick Perkins.

4. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

this.

5. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

really? really? you had to go there? You and your hyperbole....

6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

that's only because Nick Collison and Kendrick Perkins are on Durant's level.

7. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i think Noel's best case scenario is more like Larry Sanders. I don't think he has the offensive talent to develop an Ibaka-like jumper. In general, he doesn't seem have much offensive talent, neither brains nor hands. IMO, he's someone you'll have to be patient with and hopefully in 2-4 years he can be a Sanders-like defensive player. I'd give him a better than 50% chance to get there.
    That's not really impressive for a no.1 pick but I don't know who I'd take ahead of him tbh.

8. what

what Member

ibaka has a jumper?

Oh, and I meant a young kendrick Perkins.

Anyway, I think cleveland needs to get a scoring big or a perimeter defender. Cody Zeller is the guy I'd be targeting for that scoring big, because, while he might not work out, at least you are drafting the RIGHT KIND of player.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Your problem isn't just that you apparently watch very little basketball. It's that you pretend you do, then make statements that the most minimal amount of research could prove to be wrong.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/i/ibakase01/shooting/2013/

Ibaka doesn't just has a jumper... he has a deadly jumper for a big. He shot 55% on 130 jumpers from 10 to 16 feet. He shot 45% on 275 jumpers from 17 feet to the 3 point line. He shot 36% on 66 3 point attempts.

Ibaka's offensive game consists principally of jumpers, followed by a strong at the rim game. Offensively, his issue is he isn't a go to player in the post... AND Scotty still hasn't figured out how to best utilize him as a 2nd or 3rd option.

But in this draft, if you get Ibaka as the number one pick... while its not the HOFer you hope for with a number one pick, I think it's a win. Excellent defender, should ultimately give you 15 points and close to 10 boards and 2 blocks a game, for a long stretch of his career.

There's no Shaq or Hakeem or LBJ in this draft.

1 person likes this.
  10. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

ok, you are living in 2010 :p

1 person likes this.
  11. what

what Member

Are you nerlens noel's agent or something?

The only reason ibaka fits the thunder is that the thunder have two guys you may have heard of on the wing: durant and westbrook.

the other thing is that ibaka wouldn't be anywhere close to those numbers you mentioned without westbrook who commands extreme attention in the lane. And the proof of that way this years playoffs. 12.8 points a game on 43% shooting.

12. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Dan Gilbert's crew were all acting like douchebags. And he looked like a moron in that suit.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I like Otto Porter for the Cavs, but Noel could work too. I'm just not terribly high on Noel.

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Oladipo could turn out to be a really good player, but on the same token he could easily be a bust... He may bring better defense and rebounding to the table, but he's offensive skills aren't quite as developed as Waiters who people are somewhat overlooking.

At this point, the Cavs best option may be to trade down and go after a Chandler Parsons, Nicolas Batum, or Gerald Wallace-type player, while going after a good big/shot blocker in FA.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Dude, you basically just reiterated exactly what I said. Ibaka's problem, offensively, is he isn't a go to player. If you're not a go to player, then of course you have problems when forced into that role.

But I responded particularly to your criticism that he was a bad jump shooter/had a bad shot.. which is factually wrong. You can give any number of big men wide open looks all day long and very few would hit them from range with the consistency and efficiency Ibaka did.

Would you like more than that from your #1 pick. ABSOLUTELY. I would not fault Cleveland at all for trading the pick or taking someone else. But I think that's just the way it is this draft...there's no obvious #1, and if Noel ends up being like Ibaka as a #1 pick, well given the draft class, that is OK. Of course, if I'm his agent, I'm pimping him as way more than that, in time.