1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Jeremy Lin better than Skip to my Lou Rafer Alston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TriCkz, May 16, 2013.

?

JEREMY LIN OR RAFER ALSTON?

1. LINSANITY

182 vote(s)
    63.4%
  2. SKIP TO MY LOU

105 vote(s)
    36.6%
  1. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Well, I do not think Rafer at this stage of his career would stand a chance.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Ummm.... Matt Maloney was relegated to JUST being a spot up 3 point shooter because he played with Ballhogs like Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler, and Charles Barkley. Had mean ol Rudy TomFAILoVich actually let him run the offense to suite his strengths, we could have seen his full potential.

1 person likes this.
  3. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Teardrop anyone?

I mean literally? Tear Drop??

4. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

At this point Lin is slightly better than Alston in his prime. Hopefully Lin can improve is game more.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think most of this board would take Lowry/Dragic > Lin, but take Lin>Alston/Brooks.

The thing with Lin is he hasn't passed anybody's expectations. Lowry/Dragic/Brooks all did that as starters, as all 3 had been bench players before, not #1/2 options on the team.

6. archinkent

archinkent Member

Both can't shoot well, but one knows that and doesn't shoot often while the other chucks bricks after bricks, not to mention those horrendous floaters.

7. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Rafer was good at running a team. He was suited to be a starter on a team with 3-4 scoring options in the starting lineup better than him (see: '09 Orlando). He could defend, get the ball where it needed to go, and occasionally provide a floater or an open three. His other redeeming qualities were that he was a quality defender and a fiery guy who would stand up for teammates.

The problem is that he was generally the #3 option on our team by default, and often forced into the #2 role due to the constant injuries to Tracy or Yao. He was a below-average shooter, whose shooting woes came to the forefront because of the scoring pressure he faced. His TS% were generally lower in Houston.

Lin is much better suited to handle a scoring load because he's a scorer first. He's definitely going to be a better overall player than Rafer, but right now it's not really that much of a gap, as Rafer's defense and ability to setup an offense evens things out.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I still cringe when I think of all those teardrops.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While I think this is a stupid thread as Lin is obviously better, this is obviously a weird comment as it is one of the few areas that Lin has been worse. If Alston never made threes, Lin is making threes for the other team.

10. arjun

arjun Member

atleast skip to my lou slaps *****s upside the head for making shots....

lin is so nice, he'd probably give his opponent a high-five.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Alston was a better defender and wasn't turnover prone, which is what a pg should be. Statswise they are pretty similar.

12. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

13. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I seriously doubt alot of you know Rocket history. Skip had his moments, but was a pretty good 3pt shooter his time here. He also wasn't scared of taking big shots like Lin has been.

Skip>Lin

A better comparison to Jeremy Lin is Brent Price. They both struggle with decision making

14. H-Town™

H-Town™ Member

i miss alston ...

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Forgot about that. That was great.

http://youtu.be/f3OuzKpQ3jM

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Lin is pretty bad and I would prefer him to move to the bench next season, but Rafer was an all-time **** player. Probably my most hated rocket of the last decade. He had the worst shot selection I've ever seen and could not shoot to save his life. Despite his handles, he had almost no court vision either

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Alston was a marginally better outside shooter. But when you take TWICE as many 3s as LIN (400-500 a season) and those 3s account for about half of your shots and you shoot around 35%, THAT IS ATROCIOUS. When Rafer shot, it was essentially a turnover

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Skip was a better ball player in his prime.

19. RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce Member

LOL, I checked out after the season was over and things haven't changed. Every other thread is a Lin thread...smh

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

... I think Lin is a better PG than Rafer, he doesn't have the same shooting mentality. If Rafer played collected and realized his scoring limitations, he could have been good. That said, I do think both Rafer and Lowry are better passers than Lin. I believe Lowry is DEFINITELY better than Lin. Dragic I am not sure about as he is back on a **** team. Brooks on the other hand will get waived so it's pointless to discuss him.