1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GSW backcourt vs. HOU backcourt

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, May 12, 2013.

1. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

The Warriors suck right now. Steph is not a leader just a chucker. Isolation forget about it.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

GS back 48 years 5 months

Houston 48 years 6 months

Age is really irrelevant with these two back courts. Even Curry, who is the old man of the group is only just now entering his prime. Harden, Thompson and Lin are all at least a year or two from their primes. Both back courts are very good and should get better.

3. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Klay Thompson is 6'7" and long. He can play the SG, SF, even PF in a small ball lineup. So he is more like a sharpshooting Parsons than Harden

4. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Lin looks like a D-League scrub 50% of the time? You cannot average 13.5 and 6 on 44% shooting if you're a d-league scrub 50% of the time. If that was the case he would be putting up 20 and 10 the other 50% of the time to average out. And on his better games he looks more closer to a borderline all star, not just a "decent point guard." I feel like you made this thread just to bash on Lin.

Anyways, obviously Harden and Curry are in a league of their own, but I would still give the edge to Harden right now. Thompson is a great shooter, but Lin is a better penetrator and play maker. It remains to be seen who will be better. Both backcourts are probably top 5, but I still think Rockets is slightly better. Contractually, you can argue GS has a better value, although Thompson will probably command a high contract once his rookie deal is done.

Oh, and to all of you who say if we had CP3 or Kyrie instead of Lin we'd have the best back court. Well duh. If you have a top 5 PG and a second best SG obviously you're going to have the best back court. If GS had Wade or Harden over Thompson, they would also have the best back court.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Harden is the best of the bunch, but Lin is by far the worst of the group

6. nebula955

nebula955 Member

Thompson is not that good. He's basically a glorified JJ Reddick. If you watched more of his games over the season, you'd realize that he can't create shots...at all. I would take Lin over Thompson a heartbeat. I'd take Harden over Curry as well---that ankle is the reason why he only got paid 10 mil.

7. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

That is if curry can stay healthy. But yeah overall their backcourt has the edge

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

James Harden is better than Stephen Curry.

Klay Thompson is better than Jeremy Lin.

I will take the great SG over the PG every single time in today's NBA. James Harden's potential is just too damn high. When he is on his game, he can go head to head with Lebron James on offense and defense, and win. You will never ever see Stephen Curry have that type of impact.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I would take someone elite at one thing (shooting) over a guy who is okay at creating his own shot and okay at shooting.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

TheRealist needs to wipe his mouth.

Hard to be clutch when you're on the trainers table.

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

he's pretty good defensively. i can't argue if he's overrated or not since i'm not sure how he's rated by the media/general public - personally i think he's a top 10 SG, somewhere in 6-10 range, is the general perception much more generous?

re the OP question, i'd definitely take the Warriors backcourt long term if I was guaranteed that Curry will stay healthy. But since there's no such guarantee, i think it's fair to go either way.

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

James Harden is healthier than Curry. I don't know about better. I'd say it's the opposite, albeit fairly close and debatable.

13. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Splash Brothers > Beardsanity

Harden > Curry
    Klay > Lin
    Their nickname > our nickname

14. jackycool

jackycool Member

GSW is at the moment the better backcourt I would say.

Harden is a straight up beast, but their backcourt looks more consistent and in tune ith each other than our backcourt so for now they get the edge.

I don't it will stay that way though.

15. RocketFever

RocketFever Member

Unfair comparison...Warriors coaching staff plays their backcourt to their strengths...Rockets coaching staff does not.

16. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

The GSW backcourt are a couple of privileged p*ssies. Harden comes from the street (I really don't know that, but I like to think it), and Lin has certainly overcome adversity. I'd take the Rockets' backcourt in a landslide.

17. proudfoot

proudfoot Member

I think people overlook recency - Klay Thompson isn't really a great scorer - but he's been hitting big shots lately.

Lin = Thompson. Harden > Curry.

18. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

What a dumb ass STFU dude...
    :rolleyes:

19. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

There was an average of about 47.8 foul a game calls combined during the Houston-OKC series. Houston received about 20.3 fouls a game during the regular season. OKC received about 20.2 fouls a game.

So no, don't let the numbers belie your stupid narrative claims, Air. Carry on.

20. brennan713

brennan713 Member

Shouldn't we be doing this by position?
    I don't think Thompson ever gets to the level of talent that James has. Thompson showed today in the 4th that he has what it takes to take it to the rim, and once he develops his to the rim game he can be a very good guard.
    Once James improves his defense and other facets of his game, he is easily going to be the best SG in the game. (No Kobe and D-Wade, who does that leave to compete with him? DeMar DeRozan and Klay Thompson? I'll take half of James over those two)

It's obvious Lin is no where near the skill that Curry has, but thats because Curry is the easily a top 3 shooter in the league. Lin played out of his comfort zone this year w/o a training camp and not being a go-to option once Harden came.

Both sets of players have two different types of games, both essentially being the same thing. Harden needs to get to the hoop as does Lin. Curry and Thompson are better shooters.
    Harden>Thompson
    Curry>Lin
    With all that being said, I think we have the best player out of the 4 in Harden but only time will tell who wins this battle. Hopefully a rivalry brews between the sets of guards.