1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This still isn't a playoff team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by A-Train, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Sane

Sane Member

BTW, people have to realize that it means NOTHING to win in the playoffs to us. If we make the playoffs, that's it, that's the grand prize this year.

If we get sweeped, who cares. Our whole roster will have playoff experience, and an embarrasing series to learn from. Winning ONE or TWO games rather than NONE will make ZERO difference to our team next year.

2. Live

Live Member

I mentioned that A-Train had a good point. I didn't write that his words were the "end-all, be-all" truth of the matter.

My goodness, it's getting stuffy in here!

3. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

A-T, all you have to do is use the same standard for the Wolves, Jazz and Lakers and you will see that we belong.

4. littlefish_220

Your "playoff" team is actually a champion team or win-all team according to your high, high,... high standard.

5. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Do not be surprised if we have alot of success on this trip. Why? Because this team could be on the verge of making some more noise. Based on what? A key signal is that a number of people are now contributing and our defense seem to have made a comeback. That Suns team is no joke team offensively and we confused the hell out of them.

6. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

Exactly, CZ. That's the best summary I've heard yet of why the Rox are so frustrating to watch/root for. If they were over-achieving or simply achieving this year, then the criticism would not be as bad... but people think they're underachieving.

7. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

Wow! I sure don't want to read your comments when you really hate the Rockets.

:D :D :D :D :D

8. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

Who cares. Winning cures everything.

9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

A Train you must bea Utah Jazz Fan!

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We need guys like A-Train on this board: anti-jinxing the Rockets into victories. :D

11. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

If they win 2 out of 5, I'll be happy

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I am tentative to let loose...

However, I am glad they have at least put something together...

They need to continue this for the Road trip from Hell...

13. jiggadi

jiggadi Contributing Member

Dude, No one wants to play the Rockets in the first round. They had better have a healthy team. Last night I saw just exactly what will make the rockets scare people. Its Glen Freaking Rice off the bench. Its Mobley with more than 3 assists. Its Cato getting hostile for rebounds. This team kicks major ass. Even with Yao on the bench. Beware western confrence here comes the First round upset.

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I disagree. I think it would mean a lot to win at least one game as opposed to getting swept. That would give the Rox a taste of what it takes to win in the playoffs, rather than just what it takes to lose.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets weren't really a championship team in '94 or '95.

I mean in '94 Jordan wasn't in the league, and they only beat the knicks because Starks had a bad game in game #7. It was ugly basketball all through that series.

In '95 Jordan hadn't been back long enough to make a difference. The only reason they won against Orlando was because of Nick Anderson's FT's.

If the Suns weren't such choke artists back then, the Rockets wouldn't have even been in the finals.;) (sarcastic irony intended)

16. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

:D

17. montelwilliams

Rockets will go 1-4 on the road trip.

18. proteuskim

proteuskim Member

the only positive thing to say about the rockets is that Rice is healthy, Taylor has finally arrived, and Yao is slowly getting more touches. Francis still needs to distribute the ball more and Mobley needs to get the hell out of Houston, and Rudy needs to bring in Moses, Olajuwon, or someone to toughen up Yao on the inside and teach him how to position for rebounds better. Maybe this is a playoff team but not past the first round especially going up against Dallas (who have spanked us on a regular basis)

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That's three positive things.;)

20. proteuskim

proteuskim Member

"The Rockets weren't really a championship team in '94 or '95.

I mean in '94 Jordan wasn't in the league, and they only beat the knicks because Starks had a bad game in game #7. It was ugly basketball all through that series.

In '95 Jordan hadn't been back long enough to make a difference. The only reason they won against Orlando was because of Nick Anderson's FT's.

If the Suns weren't such choke artists back then, the Rockets wouldn't have even been in the finals. (sarcastic irony intended)"

If you looked at the records you would find that Houston beat Chicago on a regular basis WITH JORDAN and Jordan even said that the only defender he didnt look forward to playing was Vernon Maxwell. Rockets would have won the championships either way. It just wouldve been over Chicago and not New York. Orlando spanked Chicago and Houston SWEPT Orlando.