1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Conley is better than you think

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Mar 14, 2013.

1. what

what Member

The point isn't that Conley missed those shots, but the fact that he had the confidence to go at Dwight Howard in the first place. So he missed. You aren't going to make every one of them. Even Kobe misses shots. But when you take to the lane knowing that the best defensive player the last decade is waiting on you, shows that conley is better than you think.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The Monta Ellis impressions aren't the best for your argument. Knowing your own limitations isn't a bad thing.

3. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

If he was better than we thought, then he would've actually made those shots. The fact that he failed showed everyone that he's about as good as we thought he was.

He was brave enough to try, hence he's better than we thought? Uh, no, that's not going to cut it no matter what kind of screwed up logic is used.

4. what

what Member

So he has to make EVERY last shot from here on out or else he's NOT better than you thought?

Who did you think he was exactly, Micheal Jordan?

You're ridiculous.

5. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

When did I say that? You're making stuff up to suit your ridiculous logic. Yes the great ones missed, but they had much better overall numbers (which you try to play off as not as important as it really is) and made many clutch shots.

I know you aren't saying he's Jordan great...just "better than we thought he was" :rolleyes:...which really doesn't say anything...hell, you can pick any player, even the worst one in the league and say that. It's all an argument to try to point out how he isn't what his stats say he is, which is all highly subjective and turns ridiculous when you try to focus on small parts of his overall game to say "see! see! look at this, he's really good at this!!!" Ridiculous.

Look I think he's a "good" player, if he was better than I thought he was he would be a "great" player....He isn't a great player, nobody thinks he is, I hope you can live with that.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You're trying to tell me that a dude is "better than we think" because he has a good confidence level? You're trying to tell me that confidence level = success?

7. what

what Member

Mike Conley is a top 5 point guard in the league whether people like it or not - Tony Allen.

8. Anxiety Trooper

I'd say he's top 10. Arguably 6-9

9. Anxiety Trooper

Guys I'd take over Conley.

CP3
    Curry
    Westbrook
    Rose
    Dwill
    Rondo
    Parker

10. Aleron

He might be in the top 10 sure, but top 5, no

Defenses are keyed to Memphis' front court, so it opens it up a lot for the back court.

11. what

what Member

even kenny smith, when tnt was trying to make conley's game 2 performance a so called bounce back game, mentioned that conley wasn't playing bad even in game 1. kenny sorta made the point that sometimes a point guard is asked to score and sometimes its about getting others involved.

conley's game is subtle and people who seem to know basketball rave about what conely does.

12. Aleron

When there are 7 point guards in the best 25 players in the nba, being good doesn't make you top 5.

No one is saying Conley is bad.

13. texansalltheway

i would take conley on the rockets in a heartbeat

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Please rank your Top 5...

15. Asian Sensation

Those guys plus Irving, Lillard, Holiday, Lawson and Wall for me.

16. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

In actually running an offence and changing up the tempo to best suit said offence, Conley is really top 5 material. He doesn't always put up the flashiest numbers but he is extremely, and I mean EXTREMELY, effective at running the point. He changes up how the offense reacts on the fly, like it is nothing. I watch most NBA games throughout the season (Yes, I am a true Rockets fan at heart and have been seeing as how I living in Houston for almost all of my life), I am a big fan of the league and the Grizzlies are one of my favorite teams to watch because of the post-play. Doesn't matter if it's Bobcats playing the Orlando Magic, I love to watch every game I can. Having said that, Conley truly runs the point masterfully, out of everything I have seen.

17. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

One of the best trade they made this year was trading Rudy Gay. No only for cap relief, but Conley's number got a lot better after the trade. His defensive work is underappreciated. I think Conley is going to hold out to rework the contract (ends in 2016), I don't think he'll be happy getting paid half of what Deron Williams make.

18. Aleron

I think one of the problem is that quality point guards grow from the reeds in the modern nba.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Love Conley. Would love to have him on our team, I think he's a top 10 PG. Great attitude, poise and overall PG skills.

20. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

hold out to rework a contract? that doesn't happen in the nba. restricted free agents have held out in the past, but not that nfl style "i want a better deal" holdout.