1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White hope in Houston long term?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kastuul, May 5, 2013.

1. H-Town™

H-Town™ Member

its funny how Royce can play ball, he's amazing and he proved that in the preseason game against the mavs.

2. the shark

the shark Member

The Rockets gambled on White's potential.
    Having three 1st rd picks made it easier to take the gamble.

That said, the Rockets have seen what White is off the court, and all the drama and LIES that he brings, and all this $&!t outweighs any "potential" he might have.

Trust me, they have publicly kept quiet, but behind the scenes they have done their due diligence to part ways with him legally. The key word being legally. When they release him, you can definitely count on White taking them to court and trying to make it about wrongful termination and his anxiety disorder.

Problem for White is all his transgressions (that have NOTHING to do with his anxiety issues) will keep him from winning this case AND he'll also lose the case in the court of public perception.

The Rockets learned very early that their gamble wasn't going to pay off. They'll terminate him at the proper time as this guy is nothing but a cancer and doesn't have the passion for basketball that is needed to succeed in the NBA.

3. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Nice, reminds me of:

Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration. Edison.

4. seeingred

seeingred Member

all of this, "well if he turns it around and really shows us something, then maybe..." stuff is pointless. even if he performs a miracle and became the player we wanted, works his way into the rotation, and starts being a real contributor - who's to say he won't wake up one day and in late march and decide he doesn't feel like playing basketball that day ? or for the rest of the season ?

His value system is not compatible with being a professional athlete trying to win a championship. i'm not saying there's anything wrong with how he sees the world - that's a different argument. i'm saying he doesn't think twice about taking a day, a week, a month off from his "job" to do things that he thinks are healthier or more interesting. He cannot be depended upon in this capacity.

1 person likes this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its been noted before, and Feigan confirmed that Royce will certainly NOT have his team option picked up this fall during training camp.

So why hasn't the team just cut him now?

-if he shows enough improvement, there is still a chance that a team like say the Mavericks take a swing at him and trade a (never gonna happen) 2nd round pick for him in November after the Rockets decline his option to make him a one year contract with minimal risk.

This would save the Rockets the resources to use up most importantly the cap space, and the money out of Les' pocket it would take to cut Royce.

There is always the SUPER small chance that Royce has a major change of heart this Summer and blows up Summer league to look like a clear cut Lebron James 2.0 but that probability is so miniscule now that I doubt anyone in the Rockets organization is seriously thinking its a possibility.

I fully anticipate no team will end up trading for him, and the Rockets will have to waive him and eat the cap space & salary he is guaranteed. However, there is no point in cutting him now when you could give him the summer to try and generate enough interest for a talent desperate team to take him off of their hands for next year on an expiring contract.

If they miss out on Dwight and are eyeing the 2014 trade deadline for making another deal for star #2, getting a trade for Royce instead of waiving him could be a very important move to try and make with as much cap space as they can get.

6. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

I'd trade him for two Rocket burgers, two beers, a bag of peanuts and a season long parking pass

7. HL3

HL3 Member

It is certainly his decision, but the problem with certain conditions is that they do not believe they need medication when it really is the only thing that can help them. I speak from experience on that. There shouldn't be any stigma attached to it. I absolutely think that people close to Royce should be talking to him about this before he passes the point of no return (if he has not done so already) so that he can salvage what's left of his career for the good of himself, his team, and his kids.

8. battousai

battousai Member

well nothing of a value for this player.

-trade? he has zero value. what good can u get from him?
    -trade expiring contract? heck his contract is like zero dollars comparing to the greater scheme of things.
    -he can't be waived as he will bring his lawyers into the mix which isn't a big deal but bad public image.

-only thing left? D-league til his contract runs out.

9. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

The anxiety has nothing to do with the fact that he showed up out of shape and is still out of shape.

It would've made a lot more sense if he were able to better control his anxiety during the off-season since he has full control of his living arrangements, training facilities, schedule, etc. and then slowly deteriorated due to his inability to cope with the rigors of a D-league assignment. Instead, he showed up way, way out of shape, refused to travel on numerous occasions, and still didn't do anything to prove that he was serious except to participate whenever his hand was (contractually) forced.

The thing about mental illnesses is that they aren't rational, and they produce behavior that isn't rational. White's behavior is actually pretty easy to predict if you just assume that he's a fat, lazy kid with no work ethic. You want to know how I know that Lindsay Lohan really is f'ed up in the head? She does ridiculously stupid things like not show up for court appearances which then get her landed in jail. Royce White? He doesn't show up until you tell him that not showing up will get his paycheck revoked - then he is magically able to appear.

This punk kid is giving mental illnesses a bad name. There are serious problems that athletes work through, largely unsupported, every day. The vast majority of them don't make it. The very few that do have to cope with diseases that can cause them to gain the ire and spite of their teammates for no reason other than a lack of understanding (see: how Michael J. Fox's castmates felt about him before they knew he had Parkinson's). It would be sad if it weren't so despicable.

10. seancom103

seancom103 Member

He will be the starting 4 next season :). #BeWell

11. Akim523

Akim523 Member

I really hope he's gone by the new season starts.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's always wise to judge players based on 1 preseason game.

Sincerely,

Kelvin Cato

13. HL3

HL3 Member

I have no doubt that old fashioned poor character is compounding his mental issues. I lost any sympathy and respect for him when I found out how he was treating his kids (while still cranking out more of them every month). There's just no excusing that.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its almost a guarantee. Once a team declines the 3rd year on a rookie contract, its almost certain that the team is going to either waive them, or preferably dump them on a team that is taking a low risk swing for the fences.

He's either going to be Lebron James 2.0 come the start of training camp or he will be gone by the end of the first week of November one way or the other.

Hopefully he looks just good enough in training camp for a team to trade for him rather than seeing if the Rockets cut him first to claim off of waivers instead.

15. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I haven't heard that story. Did they think he was unprofessional or didn't care about memorizing lines?

16. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

You can't bring his drama onto this young team, just not a good idea at all. "Be Well" somewhere else Royce.

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

The only roster Royce has the possibility of making... is at his local Wal Mart... and even that is kinda shaky if they check his previous employer for a reference...

18. Akim523

Akim523 Member

I would love to see someone claim him off of waivers so he can go #bangbus another city.

19. conquistador#11

he should have thought about that a long time ago.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

dobro, do me a favor please.
    Do not ever ever mention the best player in one sentence with this DB. Ever.