1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Jeremy Lin your Point Guard of the Future?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SF3isBack!!, Apr 28, 2013.

?

How many of you are comfortable with Jeremy Lin as our starting point guard?

1. Comfortable

58.6%
  2. Uncomfortable

41.4%
  1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Right, but some think that there is nothing better than J Lin and if you say otherwise then you must be a Hater, Racist, or just a mean person. No matter how many bad games he has there will always be an excuse. Not a large enough sample size, he's injured, Harden won't give him the ball, it's Mchale's fault, He's too young.

No matter what anyone says, Jeremy Lin is in Houston because of Linsanity. People want to see him play like he did during Linsanity. He doesn't play like that and I don't mean score a lot of points. I mean when does have the ball make the gutsy and smart decisions that he made when he was a Knick. It's that simple. Can he play like that or not? because that's why he is here.

2. davek

davek Member

The trade of course will make everyone happy. JLin with Griffin...dang all I can see is JLin getting tons of exist over there.

CP3 here in Houston his number will probably drop off with Harden being the main ball handler. The ball will go through Harden most of the time....and suddenly CP3 won't be as effective and the bashing will probably begin again.

What Houston need to do is trade Lin and Harden and get Lebron and Wade. lol
    Then they will stop b****ing about the PG position. It's like JLin is the weakest link and holding back the team. What a joke.

3. davek

davek Member

exist is assist.

4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I don't think that's true at all. Jeremy is quite the mystery. For stretches he plays great and then for stretches not so great. This team needs Jeremy to play BIG in order to succeed. He hasn't been playing big. Lin is being scrutinized so harshly in a large part because of his success with the Knicks. CP3 and Harden together would be something special to watch. I understand that you like Lin but this team will trade anyone not named Harden to get better. Harden was on a team with Durant and Westbrook, I think he would be ok with CP3.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I believe Lin and Harden can play well together. We have seen this in stretches. It's not easy,but it's possible. Lin will have to be the primary ball handler. The addition of a experienced frontcourt player,should lead to better ball movement,and more wins.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Ask not whether Lin & Harden can play well together, ask whether Lin can play well... period.

12 other players on the roster seem to be OK playing with Harden.

7. BBAL

BBAL Member

All the time? Well then those people are delusional and there's nothing anyone can do about their problem.

No one with any common sense expected that from Lin, owner, GM and coaches included.

His 9 games during Linsanity was his peak last year when there was little tape on him playing 45+ minutes a game and being the center of the offense with BOTH Knicks superstars out. To quote, Mike D'Antoni "rode Lin like Secretariat". Not to mention, that's actually what eventually led him to mess up his knee and continued to play on a banged up knee.

Sorry but if you expect him to do that in his role here, with Harden dominating the ball most of the time, with him playing off the ball, and put up those numbers every single game, that's just silly. His average for the entire ~25 games was quite a bit lower than that. Just cause some Houston fans here only paid attention to the 9 games during Linsanity, that doesn't mean the Rockets organisation signed him to reproduce that. They probably saw how he played the remaining of the season after he cooled down.

Everyone understood that's most likely the kid's peak right now, when domination the offense, at 42+ minutes a game.

And to answer your question, yes, he can, when needed. But if you want that, you have to put him in that role, like NY did. I think he's shown some of that this past year. See the games where he tore it up this year. But that would mean you give him the most minutes and put him in Harden's role and let him play his natural position every single game. That's not going to happen.

Even without Harden, I wouldn't play Lin 45+ minutes, every game, for 82 games and expect him to take the hits he took in NY day in and day out and maintain that level of energy for a full season.

8. davek

davek Member

I am not offended in any way for Lin trade for CP3. Doubt that will happen.
    I don't think CP3 will be lighting it up like what ppl are thinking....but if judge it just base on stats between the two then yes he should be a better fit in any team. He's proven to be elite c'mon now.

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Read my post again, lol.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I hear a lot of argument about giving him the role and there's not enough this or that in the system and honestly it's just an excuse. Most elite teams have several stars and Jeremy in order to win in this league will have to be a star among stars. Elite players fit any team the only time they don't is when they are injured or past their prime. Jeremy Lin in NY was like a coming out party. All elite players have had there coming out parties. Harden was this year. The expectation for Lin to be an all-star is not unreasonable especially given the fact that so many Lin fans from New York came on here building him up to be the second coming and some are still doing so. So when you have all these fans building him up and when he fails only excuses are given then people are going to be dissapointed.

Everyone knows Lin can play a lot better than he is playing with or without Harden. I don't even think that Hardens iso plays are drawn up I think he just commands the ball. Lin needs to step up be a leader and command the ball because rest assured CP3 would do that if he were in Houston.

Everytime someone types something defending Lin all I read are excuses, excuses, excuses, excuses. At the end of the day the production we are getting from Lin can be had for a cheaper price or we can pay more for someone better.

11. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Really? What player currently in the league would give up that production with upside at a cheaper price that the rockets can actually acquire?

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

"lol" upside? what is upside? I never said anything about upside? I said Jeremy Lin's production can be had at a cheaper price yes yes it can.

13. LoLin

LoLin Member

He can be the starting PG as long as he does NOT just defer the ball to Harden, Parsons, Delfino or even Asik as soon as he brings the ball up the court.

If he improves his FG% (mid-range and 3s), floaters/teardrop, ball handling in the paint and be more assertive/aggressive, he'll be good next season.

14. RocketFever

RocketFever Member

What production do you think is actually possible with Lin in the starting backcourt? Because we already had the 2nd highest scoring backcourt duo (Steph and Thompson scored 39.5 points, Harden/Lin scored 39.2 points....and Steph/Thompson played 4 more mins on average). Unless Harden's scoring average drops, and he defers more to Lin, I don't see how Lin's scoring avg could ever get above 15 in this system, unless he gets up to a elite level 60+ TS%...

15. LoLin

LoLin Member

I want to see 16 PPG and 7 APG from him next year.

16. aldrich

aldrich New Member

Lin will be traded this summer, period. Both LOF and LOH can rest now.

17. BBAL

BBAL Member

First of all I can't speak for anyone who came in here building him up as an ELITE player. I'm not or was not one of them. And whoever said that should get their head checked.

But as I said in another thread, it seems to me you want Lin to disregard McHale's offense, and the role he's being asked to play, take the ball from Harden and do what he did in NY.....

Or you expect him to put up the same amount of numbers, despite playing off the ball, acting more like a role player than a PG, and playing less minutes.

Sure. OK. Call them excuses or whatever you wish.

It's clear to me you want a star PG to run your team and be the focal point of your offense. Then pray for CP3, Derek Rose or Stephen Curry and then trade BOTH Lin and Harden.

Get this through your head. Lin's ROLE, expectations and status in Houston is not to DEMAND the ball from Harden. That's not going to happen. Lin is NOT CP3, or any of those guys. He's not on that level. So why are you asking that out of him?

18. 95Rockets

95Rockets Member

I am disappointed with all the Lin hates on here or anywhere else in the world.

Just because of the Linsanity happened and people were uncomfortable (hating on him) with it for whatever personal reasons, they expect him to meet to the standards of his Knicks stint. And they could hold their hate to him by chastizing Lin for not living up to the Knicks stats.

To me, even before the Linsanity and Golden State while still at Harvard, I thought Jeremy would make a good bench player in the NBA. Nothing more. Nothing less. being a bench player is not a bad thing BTW.

I'd like to see him come off the bench and play well that way.

19. davek

davek Member

Hindsight is 20/20 don't you think? It doesn't take a genius to look at stats and pick out candidate to fit a system.

All we have to do is swap players for proven player with better stats. We will win championship in no time.

20. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

Lin obviously finished the season very poorly, but it isn't representative of his entire season. Unfortunately for Lin, Beverly has yet to have any serious droughts and finished the playoffs in magnificent fashion.

In my opinion, Lin's main advantage over Beverly is working with bigs. He always does well with the bigs: Chandler in NY, Asik and Smith in HOU. Sadly, his faults outweigh his strengths: no left hand, weak defense, questionable decision making.

Unless he seriously improves before next season, the Rockets would be better of having him come off the bench so he can get most out of Smith and not have to guard the opponent's starting PG.