1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Iron Man 3

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 10, 2010.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I thought it was pretty great. Very entertaining.

2. fredy

fredy Contributing Member

Just saw it and give it a 8/10. Way better than the last movie I saw (GI Joe).

3. VanityHalfBlack

How is the action in this?

4. Nero

Nero Member

Wha, you don' speek eeengreeesh?

5. VanityHalfBlack

That's not saying much, lol..

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

As usual, RDJr. gave a note perfect performance as Tony Stark. Like most who are at least passingly familiar with the source material, I am not happy with how they handled the Mandarin, especially given the continuity nod in IM1. Still, the movie was plenty enjoyable on its own merits. With the whole shared universe concept, I would have liked little tidbits of the other Avengers in news reports and the like, but that is a minor quibble. I would rank it third of the Iron Man movies, but still high marks.

7. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Nero. 2002. This is you?

[​IMG]

8. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Star Trek Into Darkness is in 2 weeks. Save your money for that. Fans got ripped off with The Mandarin with this guy.

[​IMG]

But Lo Pan would have been much cooler than the main villian. Don't expect The Mandarin because China partially finance this movie.

If you want to be spoiled don't click on this spoiler image. Here's your main villian.

The worst thing is that they never did explain about his super power. You just spend most of the movie wondering what the hell they are and why are they super human. Some already speculating that he might be Firebrand. Yup, Iron Man getting his ass kick by normal looking human with some stupid super power and it's pretty bad.

[​IMG]

9. VanityHalfBlack

Dude you ain't kidding? Star Trek 2 looks to be the t***!!! Looks like nothing but action and me is like it very much!!!!

10. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Don't totally take my word on it. If you are tight on budget than you might be better off with Star Trek Into Darkness only if you're a sci-fi fan. I mean you might enjoy Iron Man 3 just for the comedy alone. Anyway be advise to avoid the 3D version. It's freaking terrible. I don't know if I was sitting too close but 3D was pretty terrible and all over the places. Since I use to work in 3D conversion I knew something was totally off. So many scenes are flat and Tony Stark looked freaking wide and badly proportion. There's one scene in Tony Stark mansion where he's sitting on chair that is freaking warped on a weird angle. Some scenes where his shoulders is so far away from his head. So I got home and did a little google and found out they converted this **** from 2D to 3D. Only shots that look good in 3D are the shots they are able to render it in stereoscopic.

11. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

^^^I make it a rule of thumb never to see 3D converted films. It's easy to see & look up. Pacific Rim is going to be converted.

Early reviews for Star Trek are mixed. But it was shot with legit IMAX cameras and they say 30min of footage is IMAX. So it's getting my money even though I hate JJ Abrams. I think Man of Steel also was patially shot in IMAX.

Gatsby was legit shot in 3D but I really really hate Baz. So I'm torn. Aside from that The Hobbit, 47 Ronin & Monsters University are the only legit 3D movies of 2013. Everything else claiming to be "3D' is fake. Plan accordingly.

12. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

speaking of 3D, why are 3D movies so dim? I saw avengers in 3D and 2D, and 3D is so dim... i like 3D, but i may consider not seeing movies in 3D anymore because of the lack of brightness

13. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Two reasons. One: they were shot in 2D, meaning regular 35mm film, and then converted to 3D in post production. The conversions process results in a loss of clarity that requires a big ass powerful light bulb during projection. 2) Theaters dim said bulb in order to save some cash, and not have the bulbs blow out too fast. They're kinda expensive to replace.

In sythesis, most 3D films are converted in post production, Marvel does this a ton because 1) they're notoriously cheap 2) Shooting with legit 3D cameras (Avatar, Hobbit, Pi, Hugo) takes a good bit of time, know how and money.

Like I said above, Gatsby is the only movie shot in 3D this summer. Monster University too but that's a cartoon. Everything else was converted. Save your money and watch everything at regular prices.

FYI, 47 Ronin and the Hobbit are the only remaining films of 2013 shot in legit 3D.

14. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I usually avoid movies that are converted from 2D to 3D like a plague but I didn't even have a clue that it was in 3D until I got there. I decided to watched it in 3D because of my nephews. I wouldn't have a problem with 2D to 3D conversion if they like spend 8 months converting it properly. I'm sure Titanic and Jurassic Park was converted properly with all the time that they have. I will not be watching Pacific Rim and Man Of Steel in 3D because they are converting it and with very less time frame to do it.

Because theater's owners are freaking cheap. This is to save their expensive bulbs from dying quickly if they do decided to crank it up and this always pisses me off.

15. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Honestly a crap movie. 70% comedy skit the rest story. So disappointing! What is up with marvel and the whole comedy aspect? Dc all the way!

16. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

Iron man III was my first 3D movie since the Avengers, I totally forgot about the dimming until the 3D stuff started... I'll probably only watch stuff in 2D from now on

good to know, thanks

17. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Personally I don't like my superhero movies super serious. Spiderman was a perfect balance between seriousness and comedy. I've always preferred Spiderman/marvel movies to Batman/DC.

18. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Turrible. Like others have said, save your money. I'm sure Star Trek will offer better bang for your buck. I was quite disappointed in this one.

19. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I assume you meant 'dumb it down.'

But really, the only comic book turned movie I can think of that was a) a decent movie and b) not 'dumbed down' was maybe the Batman Begins/Dark Knight. Other than that, most comic book movies are... don't know any other word for it but cheesy. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy a lot of them (x-men, IM, etc), but they're not made to impress critics, only the general population. Plus, you've already seen 2.5 IM movies, you know it's going to be corny. They fill it with your witty 1 liners and CGI action that, in general, the mass public enjoys watching.

I just don't understand how people are 'let down' by this movie, since you know what to expect. I saw what I expected and left entertained but not blown away. Just take off your critics hat before you go in to see any movie like this.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Thanks, percicles. Funny how you mentioned Avatar, Hobbit, Pi, Hugo, because I would cite them as excellent examples of movies to see for the 3D. Everything else has been a waste of money. There was NOTHING in Iron Man III's 3D that made me glad to spend that extra....whatever amount.

"Pi" was stunning. Hell, even on TV, without the 3D, there's a scene where fish actually swim OUTSIDE the black bars at the bottom and top of the screen. Ang Lee definitely paid attention to what he was doing.