1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So what do we do now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by W22_STREAK, May 3, 2013.

1. cml750

cml750 Member

I think we should hope the Lakers amnesty Gasol and sign him or try to get Garnett. Either player would instantly be our starting 4 and could be a backup 5. This would help next year, and then sign Kevin Love the following year. If we got Gasol for next year, we could try to resign him in 2015 for a reasonable contract to backup our Asik / Love front line. If there is any way to get Chuckwagon back here, he could really help add solid depth to our front line also.

I sincerely hope we do not get Dwight as I think he is not the answer and would be more trouble than he is worth, not to mention his back could end his career at any time leaving us with a center at max salary that can't play (sound familiar?). CP3 is intriguing but I am not sure how he would mesh with Harden given they both need the ball.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I understand you're a laker fan ooo (no idea why you bother trying to act like you're a rocket fan when you post links on lakersground to try and make fun of us....), but even you have to realise it becomes increasingly unlikely that he sticks around for a rebuild.

****, even James Worthy is supposedly telling fans he thinks he'll come here.

3. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

sign Milslap 8m...and either trade for gortat 8m or Varjero8m = 16m

Asik/Varjero/Smith
    Milslap/Dmo/White
    Parsons/Garcia/Jones
    Harden/Delfino/Anderson
    Lin/Beverly/brooks

=60m

4. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Milslap - Guy fits our PF best

Can shoot 3's... big motor hard worker

energy hustle guys... mobile...and can score inside

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It depends on how free agency plays out. If you can sign Dwight Howard, you do it. I love Omer's game and effort, but Dwight is a far better player and upgrades both our offense and defense(free throws notwithstanding). In fact, what Omer did this postseason only increased his trade value.

If the Rockets are able to get Dwight, you then trade Omer for help at the 4 or the 1. I think we also need to dump one or two of our PFs. My choice would be T-Rob based on the amount he makes. We need the cap space and he's redundant with Terrence Jones on the roster.

Lin is a real question mark. I don't think Beverley is starter material(yet), but then again, it's debatable whether Lin is either. Especially when you consider the amount of money he makes compared to his offensive output(his defense outside of steals is worthless). I hope the Rockets try to move him and bring in someone else for cheaper.

As for the bench, Garcia is gone. He's been fantastic for the team, but you can't pick up a $6+ million option when you expect to be a player in the free agent sweepstakes. Delfino should be brought back and we need one more 2-3 swingman(I don't think James Andersen is the answer).

Finally, next season has to be about improving this team's defensive performance. Offensively they were outstanding this year. But if you can't consistently stop the other team from scoring, you're not gonna win a lot of playoff games. Harden in particular has to dedicate himself to that part of the game. Of course, having Dwight Howard behind him would certainly help.

6. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

I believe if you spend the summer hewing the rough edges off of P Beverly he could be a good spark plug off the bench not a starter ever.( Hope he makes me eat those words). I believe Jeremy will get better some what better. Just not that much better, buy mid-season trade time we should know.

T-Rob and T-Jones will get a lot of summer work, But Morey is not going to trade T-Rob too soon unless it is for a bon-ified player that will make a difference like a Hardin caliber player.

As for Hardin have a remote shock device implanted into his brain so when he even thinks iso it shocks the hell out of him!

I would like to see K Garnett on this team but he will go to were he thinks he can get a ring.

7. monster

monster Member

I'm all for making a big splash, but if we can't get the deal we want, don't force it. Our players are young and some WILL develop. there will be good FAs the following years too.

Never thought I'd say this, but Gasol isn't looking too bad. I like Milsap. Of course Paul and Howard are exciting. It's going to take more than one move, so be patient. It may take a couple more seasons to get our championship lineup, but it's coming

8. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I like your style.
    Nice line up.
    Most sensible idea I've seen so far.

9. The Stig

The Stig Member

What about Millsap and Jefferson? $14m for Jefferson and $9m for Millsap should be able to put us on the line with the cap and I think the both of them are capable of improving the squad further. Role players will need to redo their contracts in order for us to have any breathing room.

A ideal squad composing of Al and Millsap

Lin/Beverley/Brooks
    Harden/Delfino
    Parsons/Garcia
    Millsap/T.Jones/Robinson/D.Mo
    Jefferson/Asik/Smith

*Question mark over whether Asik will play back-up to Al Jefferson after this year
    *Lots of convincing to do in order to get Garcia/Delfino/etc. to take a pay cut
    *PF's needs a lot of trimming this offseason, someone's gonna leave.

Both Millsap and Al aren't Paul and Howard but since its unlikely that they will leave LALA land, this might be a good option to explore.

10. eugeniu

eugeniu Member

Sign Howard
    trade Asik + Lin + Dmo + Tjones for Ryan Anderson and better bench players

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Hard to say because a lot will depend on what pieces fall first. Both DH and Paul will be extremely difficult to get. Both see a future in LA. DH doesn't care about winning, he just wants to be the man in Hollywood. He'll get that chance once Kobe retires, or maybe even next year, if Kobe slows down significantly.

I think we desperately need an above the rim player. OKC , time and time again, dumped the ball to the guy coming from the baseline and none of our guys, even asik, would even dare contest their layups/dunks. Howard is really the only FA that fits that description and he's along shot IMO.

We have to consider that moving too fast may actually not be in the team's best interest. We're still incredibly young and raw to know what we really have. I'd be prepared to ride out Lin and Asik's contracts, add some minor help and then make bigger changes in 2015.