1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Thunder @ Rockets 5/3/2013 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 6)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 2, 2013.

1. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

bev cant facilitate. look at his ast totals or lack thereof. the problem is harden becomes the de facto facilitator and we all know what that means: iso for 20 sec then a.) pass for a forced 3 b.) shoot a 3 c.) drive for the and 1.

what's the fix? a new coach with a revised system mixing in more mid range shots and actual PLAYS called that gets mid range shots and not just 3s...

2. muas2010

muas2010 Member

That's my point, Lin only played in 1.5 games...he screwed the 1st game and did well in the 2nd game then got hurt. Look Harden screwed up the 4th game with 10 TOs....so is he in the same boat if that was the only game he got to truly play? Based on contract we already no who is the champ....Parsons a long shot.

3. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Parsons was the best Rockets player in this game. Harden wasn't bad till he tried to force it after the Thunder took an 11pt lead near the end. Bev played his role fine, he ended up with a +4 his role isn't to orchestrate the offense, Harden handles the ball more. Lin highest at -18 and he did no orchestrating with 0 asts.

4. rocketsmetalspd

This team was only together for 2months and that is not enought to really get the team to gel. This Summer will be key and next season this team will be scary. Top 4 next season is very possible.

5. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

It started promising, but too bad Rockets didn't have any veteran leadership, unlike that damned Fisher for OKC. As much as you hate him, Fisher was the difference maker tonight.

The whole team started off well, energized and sharing the ball. As the game went on, they just went away from that. Consecutive possessions without more than 2 players touching the ball. When the shot are not falling, we are in big trouble.

Harden played with illness, because he knew we wouldn't have had a single chance without him. But he wasn't very efficient, and later in the game, too many standing still forced 3 pointers.

Lin didn't provide much needed offensive spark from the bench, and he seemed to be passive (shied away from open shots, drove but didn't try to finish inside, and force-fed in traffic). I am very disappointed. With very limited minutes, he played ok defensively, but we certainly have expected more. However, to claim that we lost because of him is just ridiculous. The guy didn't have enough impact to lose us a game.

Our PGs didn't offer much tonight, and relying on a sick Harden is not going to win us playoff games. Asik, Parsons, and Garcia played relatively ok/well, but they were not difference makers.

We made the playoffs, and made the semi comeback in the series. Young players have gained invaluable experiences. We will only get better next year. Now, everyone just works on their shortcomings in the off-season. Lin should reduce those commercial tours and spend more time to work on his shots and ball handling.

6. hiro protagonis

yeah i'm really excited about this off-season. next year is going to be big.

7. Doo

Doo New Member

Really hope the Rockets could take game 6, but I was actually concerned after game 5. The reason is simple: not enough ball movement or assists. Think about it, game 5 pretty much relied on Harden's hot 3s (7-9) and Martin's horrible shooting, both of which are unusual. If Harden only went 4-9 on 3s (which is still good), we would've scored 9 pts less; if Martin went 4-10 (which is normal), they would've scored at least 6 pts more.

Now game 6 simply didn't go as luckily in the 4th quarter: 3s stopped falling, and got stuck with <15 assists. Yes, they are a young team, but serious changes still need to be implemented or their future might not be as bright as people assume:

1. Better coaching (either a better coach, or McHale does some study). We can all see that Rockets' offense only has 3 methods: 1. Three pointer, open or not; 2. One high pick with no roll (fine, rarely a roll), no consecutive ball movement most of the time. 3. Fastbreak in transition, catching opponent off guard (this includes Harden's Euro-step foul drawing).

We HAVE TO do better pick and rolls, and no-ball player movements. We HAVE TO shoot some good open 2-pt jumpers, not just 3s. (That's why I liked PPat) We HAVE TO have more penetration.

Defensively, well, let's just say we need some defense coaching.

2. A solid PF. We desperately need a solid PF who can do pick&rolls with PG, play D in the paint and help Asik with rebounds. It will be ideal if the PF can play 1 on 1 posting offense. Greg Smith isn't doing the job (can't catch the ball, can't finish, can't post, can't play D and can't shoot FT. Ok, I'm being harsh. Occasionally, he's GREAT, but "occasionally" = not nearly consistent enough).

3. Lin needs some serious shooting training in the summer to be more consistent. If he can improve his jumper/3s by 5%, he will be deadly because that will help his penetration, too. He also needs more authority on ball handling from the coach. Let's be honest, among Harden, Lin, Bev and Brooks, Lin is the best candidate for a true PG. He needs to cut TO for sure, but more practice + better pick & rolls & better shooting will just do that. He NEEDS the ball handling to both boost his confidence and play good games in his style.

4. Harden needs to cut back his ball handling. Dribbling beyond 3pt arc for 10s and then either do a desperate shot/euro-step layup or pass the ball to teammates with 3s left or straight turn-over is totally NOT acceptable. Cut back TO just like Lin. Need to show higher morale. Honestly, he's too quiet of a player and not acting like a leader. Oh, also, more effort on D please.

5. Parsons. He needs to get paid more. Period.

6. Asik. Need serious practice on finish moves around the basket. How many 2+1 opportunities did he miss this season? Also, serious practice on catching the ball.

Well, typed a lot. Really upset about getting owned by OKC in the 4th quarter today (hope Memphis will sweep them). Can't wait to see the Rockets getting much better next season!

8. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

Listen, this isn't difficult. Lin isn't the player that people make him out to be. He isn't terrible but he isn't great either. He's a slightly above average player in this league.

Everyone wants to point out the issues of other players but wants to avoid the fact that Lin didn't play two games with a sprained shoulder (not separated or dislocated). In the first 3 games of this series before he got injured he averaged 4 pts, 3 assist, 2 rbs, 25% fg, 11 3pg% and 2 TO pg in 24 min pg.

Lin hasn't earned sh#t in my book. I'll take a guy playing sick and not playing well over a guy who prefers to wear sunglasses and sit on the bench over playing playoff games. His shoulder wasn't in need of surgery or total replacement, he should have been on the floor. Sorry, he is getting paid millions, he can fight through a shoulder injury. I fought through bone on bone lumbar issues in my back and went to work. Lin can play.

I'm tired of excuses for Lin and McHale.

Harden hasn't been perfect, but he has been there to take on the challenge. Where is Lin and McHale? Blaming anyone but themselves.

9. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Parsons is the series MVP.....Lin shouldn't even really be playing with just one arm like this. Our other two PGs with both arms did just as terrible as long....so this says something about Lin...a major reason why he's the starting PG.

10. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

therein lies the problem. harden cant facilitate. he's too predictable... and he thinks his handle is better than it is. led the league in TO and wants to be the main facilitator? cmon now....

11. Vpballa916

Vpballa916 Contributing Member

Harden is untouchable, as much as i am bummed about his performance this series, he is still a superstar caliber player.

If its not for Harden, Parson's isn't getting those wide open 3's or Asik isn't getting room in the paint for wide open dunks.

Harden is our franchise star, don't be mistaken. We just need another star to come play at the PF position.

Chances are, we aren't getting that power forward until after next season, when the likes of Kevin Love and Lamarcus Aldridge are free agents.

Either this, or we get Chris Paul this off season.

I don't want Dwight Howard. I'm Loving Asik and his character

12. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Agreed. Make sure to tell that to Harden and Parsons as well...Asik has been the only player this season to not miss a single game. Lin, Harden, and Parson have missed > 2 games a piece.

13. gengar

gengar Member

He tried to play through the injury and just couldn't do it. Remember?

A bad shoulder/chest affects your whole arm. It affects your shooting and you can't dribble. I would say that's a pretty big reason not to play especially when it happens to your guard.

14. Vpballa916

It's easy to blame Lin, but I won't cause he barely played enough to be effective.

The only thing that I take from Lin's injury is that Beverley can at least fill in Lin's role at a huge price cut.

1 person likes this.
  15. basketballis

basketballis Member

Bev showing alot more passion about the game than lin in these post game interviews.

1 person likes this.
  16. Vpballa916

I Love Beverley's fight and feistiness

17. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly a bad chest bruise can feel like a broken rib in the exact wrong spot.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Durant continues to praise the Rockets.

He says basically that Rockets are respected and they are going to be a force to be reckoned with in the future.

Also mentions that Harden is like a brother to him "Could only be closer if they were blood." or something like that. Said it was hard not to talk to him for the duration of the series and was proud of him leading his own.

Too bad that guy does not expire for a long time.

19. muas2010

muas2010 Member

That's the good and bad part...Harden is Houston's franchise player so you are going to live or die by him. If he improves a few stuff and tightens his defense he do great for Houston. If not, he's going to bum around Houston until his contract expires. Chris Paul isn't coming to Houston cause he's not a good fit with Harden....a PG like Curry would be the ideal fit for Houston.

20. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

I was thinking the same thing, but hey, can't expect him to fly to the basket with his injuries.