1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets New Uni's for next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Miguel, Mar 14, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Sorry if there's been a thread about this (as I'm sure there has been), but I don't see it on the first 2-3 pages, and apparantly the search feature is disabled....sooo

Anyone have any idea what the new uni's are gonna look like? I got bored this morning and came up with one on my own *maybe I saw something like it somewhere and stole the idea...:p:eek:

Anyways...here's what I'd like the jerseys to look like.

Away
    [​IMG]

Alternate: Reverse the colors

Home: White with blue on the sides.

:)

Edit: I edited it with GIMP from a Stephon Marbury jersey...:cool:

2. insider

insider Member

that's the ugliest jersey i've ever seen. even i came up with a better design than that.

3. Miguel

:(

:p

*sigh*

Keep em comin'

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

What's with all those stains near the collar? Is that part of the design? ... Is that on my monitor or something? ... I don't think so.

5. Miguel

Hey, excuse me for not being the best photo editor...jeez

I'll clean it up if you insist.

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Those white streaks kind of look like....ummm....well, I'm sure you can figure it out...

Red should be the predominant color on the road uniforms
    That font is terrible

7. Miguel

:eek:

Well, anyways, the real point of this thread is....

Has anyone seen any possible designs or when the new unis will be shown/announced?

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Maybe we should check Cuttino's jersey too. :eek:

Miguel, just playin. Sorry.

9. insider

insider Member

[​IMG]

even this quick $hitty design i just made looks better than that.

10. Miguel

No prob......I can take the newbie abuse...

11. ewfd

ewfd Member

who's that guy that posts here who has a website devoted to the new unis?

He had some killer designs..

12. Matador

Matador Member

Miguel: welcome to the boards. Nice attempt on your design.

here are 2 old HC article and a rockets.com link about the new uni's

April 13, 2002, 8:48PM

Rockets plan to address uniform problem
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle
    From all this ugliness, something beautiful can emerge.

We're not talking about the Rockets' hope that this ugly season really can be blamed on all the injuries. The development of Eddie Griffin, pursuit of lottery magic and logjam at power forward will have to be addressed another day. The greatest blight will be corrected.

The Rockets have officially informed the NBA that they will have new uniforms in time for the 2003-2004 season and their move to a new downtown arena. The clown suits will be history.

"The first order of business for us is to hear from our fans," Rockets chief operating officer George Postolos said. "We're excited about the new identity of our team. We have new players that the community is still getting to know. We're going to be playing in a new facility. It seemed like a great time to have a new uniform. We want to give fans the opportunity to tell us what they think a new uniform should be. That's how we're going to start this process."

By now, teams usually would have begun discussing concepts with the NBA's creative staff and considering ideas from the league to fit the team's goals. There has been some doodling in New York, but the Rockets have been determined to wait for feedback from fans before moving any further than the green light.

"The first step for us is to find avenues for people to express their opinions," Postolos said.

On Monday, a page on the Rockets' Web site (www.rockets.com) will go up to collect feedback. It will include other features, including looks at every Rockets uniform from the San Diego gear to the current pajamas.

Postolos and vice president for marketing Tim McDougall said they are determined to resist any urge to establish goals for the team's new look, from style to team colors, until considering the feedback.

"We have some things in our heads, but we want to see what comes back from fans," McDougall said. "We're going to have our own thoughts and opinions in the organization, but we want to start with what fans think. We don't want to get too far down the road with our thoughts first. We really want to see what they think.

"We want to get fans in on the ground floor of this thing and to have a chance to make comments before we take steps down the line."

McDougall and Postolos said they are open to moving the uniforms, even colors, a step past the current look to completely starting over, though the current colors have been generally popular.

The selection of the new uniforms will not be by poll. But Postolos said the effort to solicit and consider the public's opinions is "really just an example of what we're trying to do throughout our business."

The Rockets have created a "creativity and planning department" to provide the "voice of the fans" in their offices.

"We are really thinking about that connection," Postolos said. "We need people to feel a sense of ownership."

As nice as that sounds, for now the more modest hope is that the Rockets will never again be as stubborn as they were in forcing the league's most hideous get-ups on the players and fans of what was then a championship team. The Rockets' uniforms were from the start obviously amateurish and garish. They should have been burned years ago, long before they became amateurish and garish and out of date.

Their time is finally almost up. And it makes sense to break out the new look in time for the move to the new home. But maybe it can be more than that. If the move to the stripes was the start of a downward cycle, the Rockets can hope something beautiful could emerge from exorcising their curse. If not, at least they can look better.

Feb. 1, 2003, 9:32PM

Rockets' uniforms should be better fit
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle
    Fashion being a personal thing, opinions varied. But as Rockets players and coaches checked out the new uniform designs under consideration last week, there was one unanimous conclusion: They were better than anything the Rockets are wearing now.

The Rockets have higher aspirations for their new duds, to be unveiled in August or September and to be worn next season, than merely being better than clown suits. With that in mind, the organization has commissioned Eiko Ishioka, an Academy Award-winning designer, to come up the Rockets' new look.

Eiko, as she is known, came up with roughly 15 designs that were whittled to six she proudly showed last week.

"It's a very good meeting," Eiko said. "In December I showed about 15 ideas. Most came from my own ideas. Ten people discussed together and developed Eiko's designs. Now I have more conservative ideas. Basically I want to create a uniform that is very unique and I hope will be a design leader.

"I am an outsider. Basketball uniforms are so old-fashioned. The Houston Rockets uniform can be a leader. I want it to be more futuristic."

Tim McDougall, Rockets vice president of marketing, shuddered at the word "futuristic." He assured there would be no grinning Rockets, no garish stripes and most of all, no chance the team would become such slaves to a trend of the moment that the uniforms would be out of style before they get washed.

"She has certain tendencies," McDougall said. "A lot of Eiko stuff is very far out. The uniform design will be closer to the center than the edges. What we're looking for is a simple, classic palette, less cartoony, less busy, more streamlined, a more classy look."

Beyond that, McDougall could not be more specific, in part because he didn't want to be, but also because there was no consensus about the varied ideas on display Thursday.

There are indications the Rockets are strongly leaning toward changing their dominant color back to red (perhaps with silver lettering) rather than their road blue.

"That is not determined yet, but it is clear that our fans still consider red the team color," McDougall said. "Red might be part of our DNA."

But choosing a color is not as simple as looking at swatches. McDougall said several uniform and logo designs do not work well in red. But that could be considered a good sign, another indication the Rockets will not repeat the mistake or try squeezing every idea on their uniforms and in their logo, no matter how it looks.

"We want it simple," McDougall said. "A logo should look good on a baseball cap." In other words, no teeth-gritting rockets.

McDougall said no decisions have been reached. He wanted the players' input about the look of the uniforms, but also about the performance of different cuts and fabrics.

"We wanted to make sure the players felt part of the process," he said. "That wasn't the case the last time around. We got different opinions. We could not do a design to answer every comment. Some of the comments were opposite of the other guys'. But the coaches and players liked seeing them. We wanted to make sure we got their feedback on design, but also on performance issues: shoulder size, the opening, the fabrics."

Those details will be worked out. For now, the players saw what they needed to see -- or really, didn't see what they have had to see in the mirror for years -- stripes, teeth and exhaust fumes.

"They looked pretty good," guard Steve Francis said. "I like most of them. All of them were better than we have now."

rockets.com link

13. Miguel

Thanks Matador.

I'm glad we're finally changing the jerseys. I don't dislike them as much as I used to when they first came out...but when it takes 6-7 years for something to grow on you....that's not a good sign.

14. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

I hope that you're talking about me...if so, thanks for the compliments... http://www.mobleyonline.com

15. ewfd

ewfd Member

[​IMG]

I really like this idea.. only I have a few suggestions.

I think the silver should be dimmed a bit.. almost to pewter (like the suns have)..

then we should have the silver come up around the shoulders, like the pheonix suns do now..

[​IMG]

and then for the home unis, flip flop it (white as dominant color, red as trim)

[​IMG]

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

So you want the Suns jersey with red insted of purple and Rockets instead of Suns? No thanks.

17. ewfd

ewfd Member

sigh, I figured I'd get a reply like this.

That's not what I'm saying at all, I'm saying take some ideas from their concept.

The point isn't to match DETAIL FOR DETAIL, but change up from the norm. Take the good ideas from around the league, piece them together, and see if you can make something new and original... I don't think we should be so bold as we were before :D

Try not to be so vindictive when you post. :p

18. Miguel

FrancisFan....:eek:

THOSE ROCK!

I hope you don't mind, I posted those pics *along with the logo* at another forum. If you have a prob with it I'll take them down and just link to them.

Those red jerseys look cool
    What about adding blue instead of white on the side?

19. SilverSaint

SilverSaint Member

#20 SilverSaint, Mar 14, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2003