1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we talk about the fantastic defensive adjustments from our coaching staff?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SC1211, Apr 30, 2013.

1. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Look, I'm as frustrated as most are with our lack of offensive creativity at the end of games, but our halftime adjustments on D have been FANTASTIC in this series.

Remember when Morey said increase the variance? Our halftime adjustments have really been spot on when it comes to disrupting OKCs offensive flow, especially in games 3 and 4.

In game 3, the Thunder only scored 38 in the second half, largely because of the switch of Garcia on to Durant, giving him a little bit of a different look than Parsons. In game 4, we only gave up 43 once we started trapping Durant in the backcourt and double teaming him to get the ball out of his hands.

I don't think you're going to find a tried and true method to stop a team with this offensive juggernaut, but I do give our coaching staff enormous credit in changing up the gameplan and throwing different defensive looks out there.

2 people like this.
  2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

hell yes im all for mchale next season. changed my mind about him. they doubled durant this game, another good adjstment.

first game 30pt loss, next 3 games were down to 1 or 2 possesion games. he's doing a good job

and i'll be damned, his smaller small ball is working lol

3. Karolik

Karolik Member

By coaching staff you mean assistants?

I would like to think McHale makes the offensive adjustments.

4. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

As much as it may seem impressive, Scott Brooks is a terrible terrible coach who makes Houston's defense look godlike at times.

But in this game, Beverley and Asik and Garcia really stepped it up individually. They were amazing.

5. THELANDLORD

THELANDLORD Member

McHale made multiple All Defensive teams. Im pretty sure most of the adjustments are made by him defensively

1 person likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Not to take away from an awesome effort, but Scotty Brooks really sucks.

7. archinkent

archinkent Member

I give him credit for adjusting during half time, but he seriously cannot adjust on the fly during the game. That shows at the end of games.

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

They smothered Durant, a superstar is gonna get his, but man, credit to coach, Garcia defended him perfectly at the end

9. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

A fantastic defensive adjustment would have been taking Harden out for the last two minutes for tonight's game.

10. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

ROFLMAO! because its so true.

When he was taken out with 5 fouls they went on a run and went up 7.

But I want Harden to get better, if he can work on his weaknesses this Summer, Lin too, watch out!!!

McHale is a inconsistent as Lin and Harden. I'll give them all another year. With the improvements I'm expecting, McHale will be a fricken superstar coach by the end of next year.

11. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Yes! We made it hard for Durant out there tonight. Looked like he wanted to break down and cry.

12. rainjacket

rainjacket Member

McHale has done well in the playoffs so far. For one thing he is more active, it seems like he is actually coaching to the game rather than the lazy rotations he did in the regular season.

13. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I don't understand how anyone can be critical about the Rockets coaching staff after this season. I don't think there have been many coaches with only 1 year and change of coaching experience that are given a young roster of players that have only 80ish games combined starts (Lin and Parsons), no chemistry, no proven stars (Harden as of last year was considered a breakout 6th man player but certainly no all-star)... take all that with a new scheme on offense and defense and pull a playoff birth after missing the playoffs the last 3 years. It's simply amazing. And Harden, Parsons and Asik all having breakout years helped, but you gotta give the coaches credit too. We could've easily been another Utah, or another Pheonix.

1 person likes this.
  14. imaginedragons

whoever is the rightful person to take the credit for the improved defense, congrats to you! for so long, the coaching staff thought that the Rockets could simply outscore the opponent and get away with it. 2 full games into the playoffs and no D adjustments had been made. Could be the absence of Westbrook, but it does seem that the Rockets are playing better team D overall and giving more effort. Garcia is a major factor, he is probably the true leader of the team. He could have made a real difference in Game 1/2.

15. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Yeah, barring winning the championship, or Durant not being in favor of it, I don't see how Brooks is not replaced by next season.

16. ksny15

ksny15 Member

His offense is still non existent

17. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I think at the end of the day, you get a lot of practices in... especially with one team in mind, and you slow the game down a bit, the defense is going to be better.

IMO, that is the only thing holding back our defense. The tempo we play at, and chemistry. We have the players to be a top 10 defense eventually.

18. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Garcia on durant is key !!!

Garcia/Parsons/Delfino need to be all over him 48min

dont let him get the ball or get in rhythm.. 18 fouls to give

19. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

nice one OP, i was so stunned by that iso-iso-iso sequence, that i totally forgot about the defensive adjustments they made...on offense it was a terrible coaching display, but they called all the right numbers on D, and we got the win, which is all that counts...i really liked when they got super aggressive on durant, he couldn't even get a shot off at the end!

20. Jimes

Jimes Member

I love the strategy of denying the ball on KD where he has to catch the ball out near the 3 pt line, switching on the picks to free him up so either Parsons/Garcia is on him right when he gets the ball, bodying him up when he does get it so he can't get his momentum going, and having help defenders sag.

If OKC figures out how to swing the ball a couple times, we could be in trouble, but we're definitely taking their KD-centric strategy and crafting a direct counter.