1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we have a serious discussion about Jeremy Lin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jVgOwnsYou, Apr 28, 2013.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Unfortunately, Lin really isn't that raw, and doesn't really have much upside.

NBA players usually figure things out in 3 seasons. This is his third season in the NBA and considering his partial season, by the end of next season he will be who he is as an NBA player.

He is still making silly mistakes and not taking care of the ball very well. He has size and quickness, but doesn't really use it to his advantage. My biggest problem with him is he is not a dangerous player on the basketball court and doesn't fit terribly well on this team. He is serviceable, but most nights he is not going to give the Rockets an advantage at the position on the basketball court.

Best realistic case for the Rockets going forward is if he ups his three point shooting to about 37%, cuts his turnovers down a little and makes better decisions, he could be an asset. PG is our second biggest need after PF and considering the talent at the position, is a spot we can really improve going forward.

As of right now, there just isn't much reason to play him over Beverley.

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

Thanks doctor.

3. ihatekobe

ihatekobe Member

I agree that Lin is not a long term option but Our 4 and 5 needs to be upgraded before our PG.

4. nono

nono Member

I honestly believe that with a different coach, he'd be much better. What he needs is screens and picks on every possession, and a big that can finish at the basket to be effective.

But in this kind of system, he is doomed to fail because he really can't shoot and that's what we need most of him. So unless he dramatically improves his shooting next year, we'll have the same trouble. I was expecting good things of him in the playoffs but he's been woeful.

5. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

it's time to cut the fat, daryl

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If you're at the game, then perhaps you missed them showing Lin grimacing several times during the game. He was clearly not comfortable out there. I was surprised he played at all in the 2nd half.

7. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

I agree. Thank you Clutch.

This is already a one star thread, but I really think people are overlooking how much solid PG could have made an impact in this series. Beverly gave us all he could in game 2 and nearly brought home a road win. He got into foul trouble tonight and we really needed someone else to step up and Lin completely let me down. I know he may not be 100 percent, but I don't think his injury is so severe that it prevented him from chipping in at all. I believe he just got benched because Garcia and others were thoroughly outplaying him.

8. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

Guys always clamor about how Lin has to become a better shooter in order to complement Harden well the same goes for Harden he needs to start working on his mid range game and spot up shooting so that he can complement Lin better if the pair stays together.

9. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Wow this is so wrong I don't even know where to begin. Luckily Lebron, Nash, Tony Parker, Jason Kidd, Battier, and many more don't agree with you.

1 person likes this.
  10. Pringles

Pringles Member

His contract is bad, but short.

After next season, he will be a decent sized expiring. Hopefully he'll improve though.

11. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

I really hope this is it, but I've seen players grind through less severe injuries before. Maybe I expect too much from our second highest paid player.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

There are always exceptions.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

People need to have way more patience with this team. I see a lot of Lin is this, harden isn't that, Omer can never be this, going on in the GARM. The notion that young, inexperienced players being thrust into increased responsibility for the first time in there career can't improve is laughable.

14. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

He's been a winner on every stage he's played on. His stats, shockingly, have stayed the same in HS, college, and now the NBA. He'll never average 20 and 8...but does a championship team need him to?

15. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

You want a serious discussion yet the points you made were terrible.

Jeremy Lin's minutes cost us the game tonight? I'm sorry, did I watch the wrong game? After the big comeback in the 3rd and 4th quarter, we simply just couldn't finish; How many missed free throws? How many turnovers/throw aways? How many forced 3s, no running plays? And of all these happened during crunch time; Was Jeremy playing? Yet you put the blame on him for this game? Honestly he shouldn't even have played today since he wasn't 100%; and after that KD hit on him (to retaliate against what Beverly did) that completely finished his night.

Yes he was terrible in game 1, but who wasn't? did anyone show up? i don't think so, but yet Jeremy is the reason we lost.

He is what, 23? 24? FIRST season that he's actually playing full time, 82 games; first playoff games and he really only played 1 full game; before Linsanity in NY, he was sitting on the bench, never played any significant minutes; and you expect him to be super efficient already? give the guy a break!

1 person likes this.
  16. Jedster

Jedster Member

Problem is...everyone has an opinion. And unless it's a statistical opinion, with full disclosure of the circumstances, it's going to be viewed through the person's personal bias.

For example: Lin is statistically terrible these playoffs. But he admittedly played scared in the 1st game, got hurt in then 2nd and played hurt in the 3rd. You can't point out his terrible stats and ignore his injury. Similarly you can't consider his injury and discount his bad 1st game.

Even the OP is ready to give up on Lin just watching him play right now without considering the circumstances. And he wants a serious discussion?

17. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Idk the extent of his injuries, but I got a chest muscle bruise before from boxing and it hurt like ****. Even breathing hard was painful.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I liked Brooks showing. He was showing glimpses of his former self slowly. Every game he gets more minutes he grows more confident with the offense. Beverly is really coming into his own now too. With Lin being dead weight he rally isn't cementing his role on the team.

19. roxxy

roxxy Member

You mean the view from your seat wasn't good enough for you to be able to prescribe him medication for his injury doctor? Shocker.

20. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I agree with the above post, good post.

After the loss tonight that's what comes to your mind? Lets see if he continues to improve next year, if he does then everything should be fine.