1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Serge Ibaka calls the Houston Rockets "selfish"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mr. 13 in 33, Apr 23, 2013.

1. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Even Ibaka out-coaches McHale...

2. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

Harden and Mchale's system.

those are the only two people that qualify as suspects. Why dont you post in your original account?

3. steady

steady Member

Yes

I don't think Harden has been himself since that injury that took him out for a few games starting with the Clippers game.

Not saying they won't win one or two games in this series, just that, the problems are not just playoff jitters.

If iso didn't work against the Suns, is it going to work against the Thunder?

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree with this sentiment almost entirely.

The one caveat would be that even with no plays, you can play "playground" basketball less selfishly. If McHale says move the ball around, but the players say they don't know to whom or where, McHale can certainly say "I don't f'ing care. Try and make a quick move and pass to anyone.". It's still possible without plays... we know this is inherently true because the Rockets have been a great offensive team all year.

5. sammsung987

sammsung987 Member

6. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Ahhh...missed context. Nothing to see here. Dismiss!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Reference to style specifically vs. switching defense. RT @<a href="https://twitter.com/jordanprado">jordanprado</a>: What do you think about Ibaka calling Houston a 'very selfish' team?</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/326780045127462915">April 23, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Ibaka comment a different way of wording exactly what McHale said after game. Was pretty clear of point that they went 1-on-1 vs switches.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/326780296781496320">April 23, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Question was about OKC switching on D. MT @<a href="https://twitter.com/bjthomas7">bjthomas7</a>: @<a href="https://twitter.com/jordanprado">jordanprado</a> Thought he was calling out Rox tendency to go Iso instead of moving ball.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/326780995078615040">April 23, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Not easy. OKC No. 4 def this season. MT @<a href="https://twitter.com/brentyen">brentyen</a>: It is bad that OKC's player saw things as clearly as our coaches. Obv our players didn't</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/326781830969831424">April 23, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I admit I listed to tape about 10 times. MT @<a href="https://twitter.com/bjthomas7">bjthomas7</a>: @<a href="https://twitter.com/jordanprado">jordanprado</a> Ahh. Missed context. Although "selfish" is interesting phrasing. Yea?</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/326782380457222145">April 23, 2013</a></blockquote>

7. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

jonathan fiegen = john mcclain

payroll hacks for the rockets and texans.

That was a subtle shot at Harden.

Anybody who disagrees have very poor perceptual skills.

8. sammsung987

sammsung987 Member

I did not know Harden is still playing for the Thunder.

9. JurisDoctorate

I agree, but unfortunately the lack of experience (and no not just play-off experience) severely hinders us. A young team needs a good coach (coaching staff) to harness them - otherwise, young players will revert to what works for them, whether that's iso, jump shooting, or driving the lane.

But you're right its definitely possible... look at the Clippers. Coach Del Negro doesn't do squat. It's pretty much CP3 playing playground ball, but CP3's bball IQ is through the roof and he always makes the right unselfish play.

I guarantee if we had Coach Thibs, Brooks, or hell even a mediocre coach like Dantoni, we'd be better off.

10. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Sheeeeeet, son. Glad to know you have it all laid out. :eek:

11. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

That's sagging off? lol

3/7 of Lin's fieldgoals were iso plays. His biggest job is to literally get the ball out of his hands. Why in the world is he of all people isoing?

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

This team should let Jeremy Lin iso more, because he is at his best when he is aggressive.

Harden needs to iso less, his isolation skills are not as good as Lin and he is being selfish when he isos.

Jeremy Lin isolation plays worked yesterday, the only issue was he missed.

James Harden isolation did not work, as evident by the fact that he missed.

13. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

He'd developing himself because McHale won't do it. :p

14. Fighton

Fighton Member

with the amount of space he was given by WB, he NEEDS to take those shots. I would be perfectly fine with anybody taking those shots (except asik and smith) because those OPEN looks and space is exactly what you're trying to get when you move the ball around. those were open looks that lin usually makes (inside the arc). he would've made all of them if only he had kept his toes ON the line instead of inside of it. :) out of the three, the one suspect shot was the three against durant. durant gave him a lot of room, but he should've shot it as soon as he got the ball from parsons and shot it in rhythm rather than after a few ball fakes.

the shots i hate are the ones where you've got 15 seconds on the clock and you spend 10 seconds crossing over again and again in space and trying to create space to get a shot off. when you're given space - take the shot. when you're not, move the ball so someone else with a better shot can take it. if under 5 seconds, then you do what you can to create space and get a shot off.

15. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

Iso doesn't work. We need more pnr and team basketball not Lin or Harden iso. OKC is just going to double team Lin and Harden to death, remember the first Houston and OKC game in the regular season.

16. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

***** it! Dont care if its true or not. You dont let an opposing team say this about you.

Bulletin Board Material.

17. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Like I said earlier, "selfish" isnt the right word. I dont think Ibaka is trying to call Harned (or anyone else) selfish, if anyone knows how unselfish Harden is its Ibaka. Going Iso doesn't necessarily mean you are selfish, we just made poor decisions on the pick switches.

18. hltiki

hltiki Member

Nah dude, JLin should just stay out of the way and never touch the ball, remember that pass to Durant? Hell, he should not even be guarding anyone as he has the worst D on the team, next to Harden that is. How can he let Westbrook get a near triple double?!?! Kid should just stay in the d-league and let Beverly guard Westbrook from here on out.

No wonder he went to a D2 school and went undrafted. No heart, no skill, no left hand, no athleticism, and no basketball IQ...

Give me the 1 spot and even I can outplay him.

19. conquistador#11

passive aggressiveness in this case doesn't work. Mostly Because those of us that hate iso, hate it from harden, lin,delfino, francis, teenwolf, will smith and every other good iso player. When the ball stops, it's more difficult to exploit a defense.

20. dmoneybangbang

We have at the very least top 5 of our Franchise history.....all without "plays" or "too much iso" or whatever the hell too many ppl on this forum think.

The problem isn't "we don't have any plays". That is the single handily most frustrating belief on this forum right now. It is execution.